Brian Orme Guest

Default Egress window in bedroom closet

Can I add an egress window in a bedroom closet? I assume the entering the closet is not considered leaving the bedroom.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Egress window in bedroom closet

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Orme View Post
    Can I add an egress window in a bedroom closet? I assume the entering the closet is not considered leaving the bedroom.
    Sure ... but you ALSO need to add one IN the bedroom too, one which leads directly to the outdoors.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Brian Orme Guest

Trying to avoid replacing existing bedroom windows. What if the closet had no door?

Trying to avoid replacing existing bedroom windows. What if the closet had no door?
    Rather than ask a series of "What if" questions, just post the floor plan with elevation of what you have and what you want.
    When ALL of the information is known you might get a reasonable answer.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Why would that replacing the windows be a problem?

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Walling off and partitioning off existing operable windows from the existing habital room footprint may further disrupt the ratio for number of persons occupying the room and dwelling unit; also disrupting the balance/ratio of both natural light and natural ventillation.

As indicated previously means of egress as well as emergency escape and rescue openings for the bedroom itself must meet requirements.

When proposing same a registered design professional should be consulted to prepare stamped plans, and same should be submitted for plan review to the AHJ.

The OP was about adding an egress window in a closet.
    The existing windows that he does not want to replace in the bedroom should already be legal, he can put any size window in the closet that he wants, egress or not.

One caveat, if he is being required to put the egress window for some reason then the window cannot be in a closet.

If the closet truly does not have a door (not just taking the door off the hinges, because it will be put right back on) then it could be in the closet.

Brian Orme Guest

The whole scenario is this: this is a new construction project that has incorrectly spec'd windows in that they meet code for a 1st floor bedroom, but not a 2nd floor bedroom. The windows are installed and the only other exterior wall space would be in the closet. I do not want to yank both existing windows as only replacing one would leave that side of the building at odds geometrically.

Was hoping to find an easy alternative...

The whole scenario is this: this is a new construction project that has incorrectly spec'd windows in that they meet code for a 1st floor bedroom, but not a 2nd floor bedroom. The windows are installed and the only other exterior wall space would be in the closet. I do not want to yank both existing windows as only replacing one would leave that side of the building at odds geometrically.

Was hoping to find an easy alternative...
    Now I think I understand, the installed windows have less than 5.7 sq ft of open area. I think it would be better to replace the 2 windows rather than install a 3rd.
    Putting an egress window may not be allowed, but even if it is, doing so will be problematic.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

The whole scenario is this: this is a new construction project that has incorrectly spec'd windows in that they meet code for a 1st floor bedroom,
    I'm going to throw another curve at you - the windows on the first floor may not even meet the requirement for their location, i.e., a) how high above the floor is the bottom of the window opening when opened; b) how high above the outside grade is the bottom of the window opening when opened?

The 5.0 square feet may be met when measured from inside, but it also needs to be met measured from outside as that is the direction from which the rescue will take place - the firefighters will be entering from outside, so that needs to meet the code height for 5.0 sf, or even those windows need to be 5.7 sf.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Brian Orme Guest

This is a garage with an apartment above, so first floor has no bedrooms. I found a casement window that looks like a double-hung so I think I will just replace one of the windows. Checking with the manufacturer, but I think a 36x48 casement should meet code for the 5.7 sf.

Rick, can you explain what you think would be problematic?

I appreciate the advice.

"Rick, can you explain what you think would be problematic?"

To begin with:
    tearing out drywall
    tearing off exterior siding
    framing for the window

Brian Orme Guest

Ah, understood. This is very new construction. . No siding, no drywall, no insulation. Only framing and windows.

So the real issue is balancing the appearance on one side of the house to that of the 2nd fl garage apartment?

Or is it cost? Replacing the new windows with larger ones.

Just bite the bullet, you made a mistake. Just get the right size windows and move on. Charge it off as a learning experience, education is not free. Sell the windows being at a flea market for 25% cost.
    or
    Get rid of closet. People have to many clothes anyway and put a window there.

Brian Orme Guest

I assume by people, you mean wives?

Because I found a casement that has the same rough opening and looks like the double hung, I will just replace one of the windows. Thanks!

I have a similar question to this old post….

I am designing a bathroom/bedroom remodel for a couple. The proposed plan is attached.

Basically they would like to have a Walk in Closet on an exterior wall where the current egress window sits. Is this legal?

Thanks in advance for your insight. I can’t seem to find an answer to this anywhere.[ATTACH]33753

Attached Files Attached Files

My gut says No, there has to be a clear path in the same floor area as the occupants when they jump out of bed. So no door, but there could be a partial divider, leaving the exterior wall unobstructed.

Talk to the local authority who will approve or disapprove the final plan and good luck.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Tamm View Post
    I have a similar question to this old post….

I am designing a bathroom/bedroom remodel for a couple. The proposed plan is attached.

Basically they would like to have a Walk in Closet on an exterior wall where the current egress window sits. Is this legal?

Thanks in advance for your insight. I can’t seem to find an answer to this anywhere.[ATTACH]33753
    No, not legal egress and would also violate natural light rules, etc.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Yes, but ...

It's the "but" part you aren't going to like.

You are permitted to put the closet blocking that EERO window, but ...

... But - you will then need to install another EERO window someplace else on an exterior wall. Thus the choice would be yours: work around that existing EERO window or add another EERO window which as direct access from the bedroom (sleeping room) to the outdoors.

There are options, but the options are not always ones you like, or which are even practical (based on your drawing).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

The person that has the final is say is your local AHJ. I would ask them, because no matter what anyone says here, they have the final say.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    The person that has the final is say is your local AHJ. I would ask them, because no matter what anyone says here, they have the final say.
    We need to make that a "sticky" answer - that way we can first point to that "sticky" answer ... it will answer most questions, then we can discuss all the other 'does not matter' aspects of the questions as we normally do.

Makes us discussing ponderables look like 'edumucated purfissonals' who just pontificate on all the 'what ifs' that could be out there in the universe.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks for all the responses. And very quick may I add.

So there is something else to add to this puzzle. The is no AHJ. It is in a township that does not require building permits for remodels. I know, hard to believe. What I want to avoid, and the reason that I asking this question, is if the couple ever decides to sell their home, that it is not a dispute with a home inspector.

As far as the natural light is concerned, could someone point me in the direction of the code reference for that. We are increasing the door size of the WIC to equal that of the window. Wondering if that makes any difference. The doors to the closet will also be glazed barn doors.

Again, thanks for all the timely input

Edit:

So I just read R 303.1. Exception 2 talks about the use of artificial light of 65 lux at 30" over the area of the room. Does this mean basically make the room bright enough with lights to meet that exception for natural light?

Still have no solid NO as to having an egress through a WIC

Last edited by Ryan Tamm; 01-04-2018 at 07:37 PM.

I thought all the previous answers were a solid no to that question, even my option was a solid no to that specific question, I just included the option (however impractical the option might be).

I will rephrase the answer this way: NO, DO NOT PUT THE CLOSET IN FRONT OF THE EERO, THE BEDROOM IS REQUIRED TO HAVE DIRECT ACCESS TO THE EMERGENCY EGRESS AND RESCUE OPENING (EERO) WHICH LEADS TO THE OUTDOORS, AND "GOING THROUGH" *ANY* OTHER ROOM OR SPACE IS NOT "DIRECT".

Okay, that solves that, all caps key is back off.

Your natural light and ventilation question is answered in the IRC by R303.2: (underlining is mine)
    - R303.2 Adjoining rooms.
    - - For the purposes of determining light and ventilation requirements, room shall be considered to be a portion of an adjoining room where not less than one-half of the area of the common wall is open and unobstructed and provides an opening of not less than one-tenth of the floor area of the interior room and not less than 25 square feet (2.3 m2).
    - - - (Jerry's note: Those are "and"s in there, not "or"s. Also, "open and unobstructed" means "no door", it does not mean "closed by a clear glass door")
    - - - Exception: (not applicable as it addresses sunrooms and no sunroom is in this discussion)

With no code enforcement, then you do as you want (apparently, as there is no authority to say differently), however, one should also consider this: if ... IF ... if one is trapped in that room and is injured or worse (dies) in a fire ... WOULD YOU be able to sleep with the fact that blocking off direct access to the EERO may ... MAY ... may have been a contributing cause?

Regarding a future sale of the house ... think of it this way - are you willing to lose a good future sale because you are willing to "stick it to" the next owner? Because you could very well lose a future sale doing as you are saying.

I can tell from your second post that you are trying to get someone here to tell you to do it however you want, but that is not going to happen here as I doubt anyone here feels that way. You are getting a solid "NO!" here.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

"No, not legal egress and would also violate natural light rules, etc."
    As I said, No it is not legal.

Now, my personal opinion, is move the closet to the other side of the room, just as much space.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    "No, not legal egress and would also violate natural light rules, etc."
    As I said, No it is not legal.

Now, my personal opinion, is move the closet to the other side of the room, just as much space.
    Moving the closet to the other side of the room is what we ended up doing. Thanks for all the input from everyone.