Default IRC illustration

OREP Insurance
    Clarksville Home Inspection
    JW Goad
    TN License #307 | KY License #2402

Default Re: IRC illustration

There are several diagrams in the 2009 IRC Commentary. What are you looking for specifically?

Hardly anyone is bending the top of the counter-flashing anymore & installing it in a groove cut into the brick (or in the mortar joints if done in the older jack-flashing style), they are just caulking along the top edge of the counter-flashing. There is a BIA illustration of the bend in the top of the counter-flashing, but an IRC illustration, if there is one, would be ideal.

JW Goad

Thanks Bob, but I'm really looking for an IRC illustration, if there is one.

JW Goad

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by John Goad
    Is there, & does anyone have an IRC illustration for counter-flashing?
    Quote Originally Posted by John Goad View Post
    Hardly anyone is bending the top of the counter-flashing anymore & installing it in a groove cut into the brick (or in the mortar joints if done in the older jack-flashing style), they are just caulking along the top edge of the counter-flashing. There is a BIA illustration of the bend in the top of the counter-flashing, but an IRC illustration, if there is one, would be ideal.
    Assuming you chose the correct forum area (roofing systems) for your question...

I guess "jack flashing" is a regional term I don't relate to, what do you mean by this? A pipe boot? Lead or copper step flashing? or something "jacked in" (like jacked up, or jury rigged) as in slopped on, not properly "let in", "tarred" or glued on, temporary, non lapped improper transition masonry to roof flashing?

I suspect you're looking for BIA flashing details. You didn't indicate veneer and if so how supported so you're again forcing a guess as to your intent/desire.

and we don't know if this brick is veneer, and supported by steel angle or roof construction...

I'll defer to: 2006 IRC (because its a convenient link to a public access version, that happens to be in my browser's recent history) for the following:

R703.7.2.1 and its Figure R703.7.2.1 Exterior Masonry Veneer Support by Steel Angles (attached)

and

R703.7.2.2 Support by roof construction and its Figure R703.7.2.2 "Exterior Masonry Veneer Support by Roof Members" (attached)

both show details for transitions from veneer to roofing.

You can scroll down and view same here (clickable link): Chapter 7 - Wall Covering

you can click on the figures themselves and capture them.

Is that what you were looking for?

Wall to roof transitions? Chimney, cricket? sloped roof? cants? or weep/drainage details above the step flashing?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 12-16-2011 at 08:34 PM.

I just re-roofed my house last year and replaced the flashing around my chimney. The handout from the local building official did mandate counter flashing, but did not mandate the top of the counter flashing be set in a groove cut in the brick. It did mandate an all weather sealant be applied between the flashing and brick and at the top of the flashing.

I purchased a chimney flashing "kit". The instructions were exactly the same as the handout from the building official. I cut the groove and bent the flashing into it anyways.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Sounds like you did it right Ken.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Opps, forgot the diagram.................

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant