Default 100 amp Circuit breaker to 30 amp packaged unit

Wrote up a 2003 Goodman electric packaged unit that had a 100 amp breaker feeding it in the panel. Recommended max breaker on data plate specified 30. The disconnect had a 60 and 40 amp switches. Contractor said I was wrong to write it up. Was I?

Jim

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: 100 amp Circuit breaker to 30 amp packaged unit

If I didn't see a 30 amp disconnect somewhere for that panel I'd say it was incorrect. Sounds to me like you're right on.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Quote Originally Posted by JIM MURPHY View Post
    Wrote up a 2003 Goodman electric packaged unit that had a 100 amp breaker feeding it in the panel. Recommended max breaker on data plate specified 30. The disconnect had a 60 and 40 amp switches. Contractor said I was wrong to write it up. Was I?

Jim
    Ask the electrician where the maximum 30 amp overcurrent device is located - if there isn't one, you are correct, if the electrician points out a fusible disconnect at the condenser unit which has 30 amp fuses in it, the electrician would be correct.

"Somewhere" in the circuit to that condenser unit there needs to be a 30 amp overcurrent device - otherwise it is wrong.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

James Duffin Guest

As long as the 100 amp breaker has 100 amp wire on it and there was a 30 amp over-current device before or in the unit it would be OK. It sounds like the 100 amp circuit was feeding the strip heat on a heat pump. Is the system now a heat pump or pure electric heat? Either way a 30 amp circuit is usually not large enough for a heat pump and the backup heat unless it is a dual-fuel unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barker View Post
    If I didn't see a 30 amp disconnect somewhere for that panel I'd say it was incorrect. Sounds to me like you're right on.
    Just because it has the correct disconnect switch does not mean it is protecting the unit correctly!

One thing I have written up several times on change outs is the over current protection is larger than what is stated on the unit. The contractor will install a ...we'll say a 30 amp knife blade disconnect or they will install a 30 amp disconnect switch without changing the circuit breaker. Neither one actually protects the unit.

Then they'll go back and install a 30 amp circuit breaker in place of the switch without changing out the complete box. I'll write that up also because it is not a tested device.

The contractor needs to change out the entire assembly to an approved over current protection device or install the correct circuit breaker at the panel for the installation to be correct.