Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mueller Fieldrep Guest

Default Mueller Field Rep - New to this site

Hey Guys,
    I work for Mueller and have been with them for a while. I would be happy to answer any questions aboutht he job. Some of the information I have seen here is incorrect. Or at least so from my experience.

Thanks

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Stephen G Guest

Default Re: Mueller Field Rep - New to this site

Wow, what a first post.

Quote Originally Posted by Mueller Fieldrep View Post
    Hey Guys,
    Some of the information I have seen here is incorrect. Or at least so from my experience.

Thanks

Mueller Fieldrep Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen G View Post
    Wow, what a first post.

Sorrry if you think thats rude. I work for them and am doing quite well. Just looking to meet other field reps or inspectors in my area.

Stephen G Guest

Rude . Maybe not, perhaps by saying that you see a bunch of incorrect stuff you will do us the pleasure of correcting it.
    The day is early, some of the guys are not even up yet. I would start over with a retraction or start identifying where the knowledge base is wrong.

either way welcome aboard

I would recommend you change your user name to your real name, or at least post your real name so everyone can document the source of the information you provide.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Some of the information I have seen here is incorrect. Or at least so from my experience.
    I have found that when people from two sides of the fence get together that both sides learn something. I'd be interested in your continued input - as well as knowing your real name.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Hey! Welcome to another FR! I, too, would be interested in the things you see as incorrect. Some of it may be due to geographic differences, and some due to varying ability or experience.

I can see Mueller employees being reluctant to use their real names if they are concerned that their comments get back to the company. We are very much at the mercy of our managers as far as assignments go and what we get paid for cases (sometimes we get additional pay because of time spent, miles traveled, and/or the quality of our work). But that's what personal messages are for (yes, folks, we do some venting "behind the scenes"!).

I imagine some here are may wonder whether you're not a Mueller management type, and that's why they want to know your name. It reflects your credibility, and I agree that you should be open about that if you want to be generally accepted.

I'm glad you found the forum; it's always nice to be able to banter with and ask questions of FRs who've been on the job for a while. But the best part is that this is an excellent place for asking questions about oddities encountered on the job, and learning more about what to look for. I encourage you to get involved in the forum itself. The people here are great and very knowledgable.

I have long thought it a shame that there's no way through Mueller itself for FRs to be able to contact each other and share their knowledge and experiences.

How long did it take you to do "quite well" - and what does that mean? I'd be interested to hear what kinds of things you found that improved your efficiency.

Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

Mueller Fieldrep Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kristi Silber View Post
    Hey! Welcome to another FR! I, too, would be interested in the things you see as incorrect. Some of it may be due to geographic differences, and some due to varying ability or experience.

I can see Mueller employees being reluctant to use their real names if they are concerned that their comments get back to the company. We are very much at the mercy of our managers as far as assignments go and what we get paid for cases (sometimes we get additional pay because of time spent, miles traveled, and/or the quality of our work). But that's what personal messages are for (yes, folks, we do some venting "behind the scenes"!).

I imagine some here are may wonder whether you're not a Mueller management type, and that's why they want to know your name. It reflects your credibility, and I agree that you should be open about that if you want to be generally accepted.

I'm glad you found the forum; it's always nice to be able to banter with and ask questions of FRs who've been on the job for a while. But the best part is that this is an excellent place for asking questions about oddities encountered on the job, and learning more about what to look for. I encourage you to get involved in the forum itself. The people here are great and very knowledgable.

I have long thought it a shame that there's no way through Mueller itself for FRs to be able to contact each other and share their knowledge and experiences.

How long did it take you to do "quite well" - and what does that mean? I'd be interested to hear what kinds of things you found that improved your efficiency.
    Thank you for the warm welcome. I can assure I am not a manager at Mueller. I am not the CIA type. If you work for Mueller, you will understand the comment. I have been with Mueller for about a year but worked with local insurance agencies before that. I won't go into financial details here but I submit between 50 and 60 cases a week. This past week it was 64 but I had a bunch of cases in one area.

There are alot of ways to speed up your data entry. I woul dbe mreo then happy to share them with you. Please feel free to message me. I have also set up a facebook account for Mueller Field Reps so maybe that will help some field reps get to know each other and share ideas.

Cool Re: Mueller Field Rep - New to this site

Welcome rep, as other have said. Moreover, as others have said how about your real name and where you are located. Furthermore, I don't know squat about Mueller, tell me or us about Mueller. I'M Rick from California former Code Compliance Officer and now HI. By the way, FR spell check every once in a while will help. I have experienced that the HI's here are pretty good with the grammar, just a heads up poor grammar brings down your credibility. My apologies in advance if I display poor grammar.

Rick

M Newman Guest

^^^ What Kristi said...

"Welcome rep, as other have said."

Rick - spell check won't improve grammar! I'm surprised you say that grammar and spelling are pretty good around here...I see typos and misspellings all the time, and some people's grammar leaves a lot to be desired.

Mueller FR - somewhere I have a fairly detailed explanation of what we do, including an example of an HV narrative. I don't have time to find it now, but will post it later today if you want...save you some time.

Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

Welcome Mueller Fieldrep and a sidebar hello to Kristi S. I’m an HI just starting out in business and also an independent field rep for a competitor to Mueller called Midwest Technical Inspections.

I’ve had 90 cases so far since late Sept. I’ve purposely kept the number of cases low, to have time to work on the home inspection side. Wow 60+ cases in a week!

It has been interesting to compare these brief surveys for insurance purposes to home inspections and also to compare what I’ve seen about Mueller to my experience with MTI. We don’t use the word “inspection” because the insured is more likely to cooperate with a “routine survey”. Remember the customer for these is the insurance carrier and not the insured that I’m interviewing.

My cases have been primarily commercial, this includes multi-unit habitational buildings. Also lots of bars, restaurants, and some educational/daycare. Almost all required appointments. Surveys cover common areas of habitational, we don’t go into apartments or condos unless there is a specific request by the insurance carrier. We are prohibited from going on roofs, removing electrical panel or furnace covers. Obviously as a HI, I know there could be a lot wrong in these places. It pains me sometimes. Surveys usually take less than 30 minutes on-site, possibly longer for larger buildings or higher risks. Then the write-up and diagramming takes me 1-2 hours or so to proofread and doublecheck against field notes. Most surveys ask for a diagram of approximate dimensions. My only tools are a camera, flashlight, and measuring wheel. The several thousand dollars worth of ladders and tools stay at home. MTI has a large quality review staff, they have been generally positive and encouraging. They don’t provide formal metrics about things like percent returned or number of days taken to compete the work as long as there is a reason. I’m paid about half the going rate for surveys that can’t be completed because the insured isn’t able or willing to do it.

The pay per hour can’t really be compared to that of an established and successful home inspector. It takes me 8-9 of these surveys to equal what I’d charge for 1 inspection. When I get up to 4+ home inspections a week, I’ll probably stop doing the insurance surveys. Meanwhile it is good experience for eventually doing commercial inspections and condo building property condition reports.

Mueller Fieldrep Guest

Quote Originally Posted by M NEWMAN View Post
    ^^^ What Kristi said...

Quite well to me means working and having a life. I left a job in construction where I was working 60 hours a week and answering calls all weekend. I worked as an operations director for small construction firm, about 50 employees. We worked on high end homes (2 million and up) but our real specialty was turning basements and garages into showrooms)

I work between 30 and 40 hours a week now and I make my own schedule. My manager sometimes gives me 30 or 40 cases on tuesday and another 30 or so closer to the end of the week. This allows me to schedule my weeks ahead of time. It doesn't hurt that my cases are all within a 15 mile area. I am averaging about 26-30 per hour. Before you say I can't, remember all my cases are close so I can sometimes complete 6-8 exteriors in an hour, plus an hour computer time.

I think the reason some people don't do well at Mueller is due to the lack of supervision. I work monday to wed in the field and enter cases on thursday and friday. Field days are usually 9-2.

I have some shortcuts that I have come up with and they do save time on the HV's and Commercial.

I will be happy to answer any questions.

Mueller Fieldrep Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Gould View Post
    Welcome Mueller Fieldrep and a sidebar hello to Kristi S. I’m an HI just starting out in business and also an independent field rep for a competitor to Mueller called Midwest Technical Inspections.

I’ve had 90 cases so far since late Sept. I’ve purposely kept the number of cases low, to have time to work on the home inspection side. Wow 60+ cases in a week!

It has been interesting to compare these brief surveys for insurance purposes to home inspections and also to compare what I’ve seen about Mueller to my experience with MTI. We don’t use the word “inspection” because the insured is more likely to cooperate with a “routine survey”. Remember the customer for these is the insurance carrier and not the insured that I’m interviewing.

My cases have been primarily commercial, this includes multi-unit habitational buildings. Also lots of bars, restaurants, and some educational/daycare. Almost all required appointments. Surveys cover common areas of habitational, we don’t go into apartments or condos unless there is a specific request by the insurance carrier. We are prohibited from going on roofs, removing electrical panel or furnace covers. Obviously as a HI, I know there could be a lot wrong in these places. It pains me sometimes. Surveys usually take less than 30 minutes on-site, possibly longer for larger buildings or higher risks. Then the write-up and diagramming takes me 1-2 hours or so to proofread and doublecheck against field notes. Most surveys ask for a diagram of approximate dimensions. My only tools are a camera, flashlight, and measuring wheel. The several thousand dollars worth of ladders and tools stay at home. MTI has a large quality review staff, they have been generally positive and encouraging. They don’t provide formal metrics about things like percent returned or number of days taken to compete the work as long as there is a reason. I’m paid about half the going rate for surveys that can’t be completed because the insured isn’t able or willing to do it.

The pay per hour can’t really be compared to that of an established and successful home inspector. It takes me 8-9 of these surveys to equal what I’d charge for 1 inspection. When I get up to 4+ home inspections a week, I’ll probably stop doing the insurance surveys. Meanwhile it is good experience for eventually doing commercial inspections and condo building property condition reports.

Hey Phil,
    I believe Mueller does the same as MTI. In fact, I have been approached by MTI in the past about a position buit not as an inspector.

You are right about the pay per hour. In my case, my wife is rich so the pay doesn't have to be great. Notice I said, my "wife" is rich. I am happy to make $1000 a week doing this and being able to have a life. True home inspectors have much more work to do. I can and have performed all the same inspections that HI complete. Except I did it in house for a construction company. The company I worked with was crazy about verifying the condition of a property before work began so that no complaints could be made later. I worked on homes that started around 2 million. When I did find something, the owners never had a problem getting it fixed quickly. The company had a structural engineer on staff, very few things were missed.

I know I could make more money elsewhere. I know that real inspectors look down upon insurance inspectors. It doesn't bother me, I am happy meeting so many different people and being able to work when I want. Today my manager asked me how many cases I want since xmas is coming. I only want to work 3 days this week since I have family coming in. He gave me 30 cases, 18 exteior and 12 interior. 24 of them will be completed tomorrow. The rest will be done or closed out by the end of the week.

Hi Phil! A good day to you! Glad you're chiming in with another perspective.

"I know that real inspectors look down upon insurance inspectors." (MFR) Not always. For some strange reason I've managed to be accepted by most HIs around here! I never claim to be an "inspector," though, and with good reason.

Phil said, "MTI has a large quality review staff, they have been generally positive and encouraging. They don’t provide formal metrics about things like percent returned or number of days taken to compete the work as long as there is a reason. I’m paid about half the going rate for surveys that can’t be completed because the insured isn’t able or willing to do it."

These are big differences from Mueller. Our Quality Assurance people only provide negative feedback. I've received exactly one compliment since finishing training; that was from my manager. I imagine managers vary in that regard. At Mueller we get nothing if we don't complete a survey.

Rick - OK, you asked for it! Here's my rather long-winded description of what I/we do - other Mueller FRs may do somewhat different things (commercial surveys, for instance), or do them differently. I was answering a question about myself when I wrote this, so I use "I," rather than "we." This is taken from another thread, so my apologies to those who've already seen it.

"I am assigned three main types of surveys: Exterior, Exterior/Interior, and High Value . In all surveys the main function of my job is to gather data about materials and methods used in construction, and measure the exterior of the house and sketch them online to find living area in square ft. I also look for obvious sources of dwelling and liability issues. This includes things like lack of railings, downspouts draining near the foundation or onto walkways, presence of aggressive dogs [edit 12/19: I got bit by a Rottweiler today! Stupid, since we're specifically trained not to pet dogs, but the owner was holding its collar and I wasn't thinking], deterioration of the property, etc. With interior surveys I also look at furnaces, water supply pipes, and fuse or circuit breaker panels, and attempt to date their installation and any upgrades since they were installed. [There are a couple more types, such as occupancy verification, that only require a door knock, a couple questions if someone is there, and exterior photos.]

High Value surveys take the longest and are very detailed, including percentages of every type of wall, floor and ceiling covering, number of doors and what they are made of, built-in/ornate/special features (such as radiant ceiling panels in the last one I did, which the owner didn't even know about!), type of framing, brief histories of the purchase and coverage of the structure, accessibility in case of fire, alarm systems, and a million other details. This info not only goes into an online form, I have to write in a narrative style everything I learn.

My reports first go to my employers for quality control, and only once they've passed that do they go to the underwriter for whatever insurance company requested the report. They then base their premiums on it, taking into consideration both the replacement cost estimates (totalled by the program I use before I submit my data) and the "hazards/concerns" I've found during my survey.

...My training left a lot to be desired, and the problems we're trained to look for are pretty minimal. But I like to do my job well; the things I learn about here I often do end up reporting.... Even though it's frustrating that I can't share my findings with the policyholder, I understand the reasoning behind it: if I did, and they did something about whatever the problem is, the info the policy is based on would no longer be accurate. It is up to the insurers to tell the PH (or the PH to ask...or an HI to tell them) what things they could do to bring their premiums down, if any.

It's kind of interesting seeing replacement cost estimates that are triple the current market value of a home.

That's probably more info that you wanted, but there it is!

(If anyone is interested, here's an example of one of my High Value narratives about the physical structure and systems in a home EDITED TO AVOID SOUNDING LIKE A PARTICULAR HOUSE....
    ["Member" is the word for "policyholder" used by USAA]
    Risk was built in 2035 on foundation of a rambler that was torn down, apart from the area at the rear that is built on a TOADSTOOL, which is new. Foundation is LEGO block. First story floor is reinforced PEAT MOSS, supported by concrete and steel pillars. Ceiling of pantry and a closet behind it is also PEAT MOSS; member states that rest of risk has wood joists, but FR suspects the entire second story floor is A BOG. Member further states that above the basement is wood joist and stud framing, but FR suspects at least some steel studs and/or steel/concrete posts/beams to support PHOTOGENIC floor areas, especially considering the boxed in areas of the first floor ceiling (visible, for example, in the photo of the BASEMENT area). Risk also has some very thick (12") exterior INSECTIVOROUS PLANT GROWTH, suggesting the possibility of reinforced PEAT MOSS there as well - see, for example, the photo of the ROOF. On the left side of risk is a built-in garage, which has a reinforced CATTAIL ceiling and a shop area to its right. Above the garage is a large open room with a cathedral ceiling. Roof here is rafters; elsewhere it is most likely trusses. Siding is TAMARISK planks and shingles, with BIRCH around doors and windows. Windows are 80% SUNDEW and 20% PITCHER PLANT; they have thick glass with beveled grids mimicking panes. Roof has architectural BOUGHS. Risk has 2 SUNKEN EXTINCT BISON, one in the basement supplying heat to the first floor, one on the second floor, supplying heat there. Second floor furnace is equipt with air exchanger, USUALLY FROM THE NORTHWEST. Both are within 36" of combustibles......)"

Oh, duh, I've been quoted in full, so what's the use?

Last edited by Kristi Silber; 12-31-2011 at 08:17 PM.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

Mueller Fieldrep Guest

Hi Phil! A good day to you! Glad you're chiming in with another perspective.

"I know that real inspectors look down upon insurance inspectors." (MFR) Not always. For some strange reason I've managed to be accepted by most HIs around here! I never claim to be an "inspector," though, and with good reason.

Phil said, "MTI has a large quality review staff, they have been generally positive and encouraging. They don’t provide formal metrics about things like percent returned or number of days taken to compete the work as long as there is a reason. I’m paid about half the going rate for surveys that can’t be completed because the insured isn’t able or willing to do it."

These are big differences from Mueller. Our Quality Assurance people only provide negative feedback. I've received exactly one compliment since finishing training; that was from my manager. I imagine managers vary in that regard. At Mueller we get nothing if we don't complete a survey.

Rick - OK, you asked for it! Here's my rather long-winded description of what I/we do - other Mueller FRs may do somewhat different things (commercial surveys, for instance), or do them differently. I was answering a question about myself when I wrote this, so I use "I," rather than "we." This is taken from another thread, so my apologies to those who've already seen it.

"I am assigned three main types of surveys: Exterior, Exterior/Interior, and High Value . In all surveys the main function of my job is to gather data about materials and methods used in construction, and measure the exterior of the house and sketch them online to find living area in square ft. I also look for obvious sources of dwelling and liability issues. This includes things like lack of railings, downspouts draining near the foundation or onto walkways, presence of aggressive dogs [edit 12/19: I got bit by a Rottweiler today! Stupid, since we're specifically trained not to pet dogs, but the owner was holding its collar and I wasn't thinking], deterioration of the property, etc. With interior surveys I also look at furnaces, water supply pipes, and fuse or circuit breaker panels, and attempt to date their installation and any upgrades since they were installed. [There are a couple more types, such as occupancy verification, that only require a door knock, a couple questions if someone is there, and exterior photos.]

High Value surveys take the longest and are very detailed, including percentages of every type of wall, floor and ceiling covering, number of doors and what they are made of, built-in/ornate/special features (such as radiant ceiling panels in the last one I did, which the owner didn't even know about!), type of framing, brief histories of the purchase and coverage of the structure, accessibility in case of fire, alarm systems, and a million other details. This info not only goes into an online form, I have to write in a narrative style everything I learn.

My reports first go to my employers for quality control, and only once they've passed that do they go to the underwriter for whatever insurance company requested the report. They then base their premiums on it, taking into consideration both the replacement cost estimates (totalled by the program I use before I submit my data) and the "hazards/concerns" I've found during my survey.

...My training left a lot to be desired, and the problems we're trained to look for are pretty minimal. But I like to do my job well; the things I learn about here I often do end up reporting.... Even though it's frustrating that I can't share my findings with the policyholder, I understand the reasoning behind it: if I did, and they did something about whatever the problem is, the info the policy is based on would no longer be accurate. It is up to the insurers to tell the PH (or the PH to ask...or an HI to tell them) what things they could do to bring their premiums down, if any.

It's kind of interesting seeing replacement cost estimates that are triple the current market value of a home.

That's probably more info that you wanted, but there it is!

(If anyone is interested, here's an example of one of my High Value narratives about the physical structure and systems in a home....
    ["Member" is the word for "policyholder" used by USAA]
    Risk was built in 2005 on foundation of a rambler that was torn down, apart from the area at the rear that is built on a crawl space, which is new. Foundation is concrete block. First story floor is reinforced concrete, supported by concrete and steel pillars. Ceiling of pantry and a closet behind it is also concrete; member states that rest of risk has wood joists, but FR suspects the entire second story floor is concrete. Member further states that above the basement is wood joist and stud framing, but FR suspects at least some steel studs and/or steel/concrete posts/beams to support concrete floor areas, especially considering the boxed in areas of the first floor ceiling (visible, for example, in the photo of the dining area). Risk also has some very thick (12") exterior walls, suggesting the possibility of reinforced concrete there as well - see, for example, the photo of the family room. On the left side of risk is a built-in garage, which has a reinforced concrete ceiling and a shop area to its right. Above the garage is a large open room with a cathedral ceiling. Roof here is rafters; elsewhere it is most likely trusses. Siding is HardieBoard planks and shingles, with HardieTrim around doors and windows. Windows are 80% double-hung and 20% fixed; they have thick glass with beveled grids mimicking panes. Roof has architectural shingles. Risk has 2 furnaces, one in the basement supplying heat to the first floor, one on the second floor, supplying heat there. Second floor furnace is equipt with air exchanger. Both are within 36" of combustibles. The second floor furnace has a pan under it that has about 1" of rusty water in it; after discussing it online with some housing inspectors, it appears there could be multiple reasons for this, but none of them good. There are radiant ceiling panels in the master bathroom. One 200 Amp circuit breaker panel is in the basement, one 100 Amp panel on the 2nd floor. Water supply lines are nearly all copper, with the exception of a little bit of PVC connected to bathroom fixtures, and flexible steel lines between risers and faucets. All systems apart from the 2nd floor furnace are in good condition.)"

Krisiti,
    Has your manager eve commented on the length of the narrative. DOn't get me wrong, it's very descriptive but it probably took you a while to write and even more time to make the notes when you were on site. My narratives for high value homes are usually 4 lines. Especially now that USAA has changed to that crappy format. Just my $.02

Not all my "physical" narratives are that long! I don't know why I went into such detail on this one, but I think I get a $100 fee for it. But no, he's never commented on much of anything about my reports. Much of my narratives are done from memory. I hardly use the 16 pages of reporting sheets we're given. And the new system of tallying I don't use at all. It's ridiculous, doesn't make sense.

- James Burgh, 1754.

M Newman Guest

This thread is getting informative Thanks, I'm getting a better perspective on the FR job. I'm curious as to how big your territories are. They told me I would be covering two counties; that totals to 3518 square miles, and around 1 million population (summer, double or triple that in winter). Winter driving around here is slow motion with lost snowbirds looking for the next golf course not keeping up to the usual pace, usually doubling the time it takes to get from point A to point B.

M Newman Guest

Hey Guys,
    I work for Mueller and have been with them for a while. I would be happy to answer any questions aboutht he job. Some of the information I have seen here is incorrect. Or at least so from my experience.

Thanks
    Any FR's doing on site yoga? j/k from the Mueller about webpage:
    "A casual dress code and a casual atmosphere make Mueller Services a relaxed place to go for a productive day of work. A yoga class is held on site twice weekly and open to all employees who may be interested. Sponsorship of this type of activity promotes health and well-being as well as group interaction. "

Somewhere it was mentioned that they don't give you a company roster, so are there other FR's in your territory?

Mueller Fieldrep Guest

This thread is getting informative Thanks, I'm getting a better perspective on the FR job. I'm curious as to how big your territories are. They told me I would be covering two counties; that totals to 3518 square miles, and around 1 million population (summer, double or triple that in winter). Winter driving around here is slow motion with lost snowbirds looking for the next golf course not keeping up to the usual pace, usually doubling the time it takes to get from point A to point B.

I work in a 5 county area. I know there are other reps in my area but Mueller keeps us in the dark about how many and where they are. Ihave run into a few just by luck but they were very aprehensive about speaking about the company. For some reason, Mueller fosters an environment where information is a bad thing.

In case my manger views this board (which I am pretty sure they do) I don't want to be too specific about my area. I will say that its urban and my work is close together and not always in the best neighborhoods. Driving is the most time consuming part of my job. I finished my last inspection at 430 and didnt get home unitl 530.

Mueller Fieldrep Guest

Any FR's doing on site yoga? j/k from the Mueller about webpage:
    "A casual dress code and a casual atmosphere make Mueller Services a relaxed place to go for a productive day of work. A yoga class is held on site twice weekly and open to all employees who may be interested. Sponsorship of this type of activity promotes health and well-being as well as group interaction. "

Somewhere it was mentioned that they don't give you a company roster, so are there other FR's in your territory?
    I am guessing thats the office people. We are asked to dress professionally and we hand out cards to some policyholders to complete a survey. They survey asks them to verify how the field rep was dressed. However, since cold weather is upon us, I believe they are a little more liberal with the dress code. I don't intend to hike through snow and muddy yards in dress shoes. On the other hand, it's nice to be able to waer light pants and a cotton shirt when it's 90 degrees.

I work in a 5 county area. I know there are other reps in my area but Mueller keeps us in the dark about how many and where they are. Ihave run into a few just by luck but they were very aprehensive about speaking about the company. For some reason, Mueller fosters an environment where information is a bad thing.

In case my manger views this board (which I am pretty sure they do) I don't want to be too specific about my area. I will say that its urban and my work is close together and not always in the best neighborhoods. Driving is the most time consuming part of my job. I finished my last inspection at 430 and didnt get home unitl 530.
    so you work 9-2....
    you can do 24 Inspections tomorrow
    but had an hour drive home today (working late I guess) from your last inspection.

If what you do, works for you and your employer.... its a great deal.

They told me I would be covering two counties; that totals to 3518 square miles, and around 1 million population (summer, double or triple that in winter). Winter driving around here is slow motion with lost snowbirds looking for the next golf course not keeping up to the usual pace, usually doubling the time it takes to get from point A to point B.
    I've had cases in three counties; this metro area is about a million, too. But the managers (at least mine does) often give assignments of several cases in an area, so it's not like you have to drive 10 miles between each case. The tricky part is scheduling your appointments into one trip. Chances are you wouldn't be handling that whole area alone; "territories" overlap.

In case my manger views this board (which I am pretty sure they do) I don't want to be too specific about my area.
    I had the same qualms, especially since I know for a fact my manager has posted here. I decided I wasn't going to let it bother me. If legitimate complaints arise, they might as well see them. Venting can be done through a personal message; the forum isn't really the place for it, anyway.

- James Burgh, 1754.

Mueller Fieldrep Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hagarty View Post
    so you work 9-2....
    you can do 24 Inspections tomorrow
    but had an hour drive home today (working late I guess) from your last inspection.

If what you do, works for you and your employer.... its a great deal.
    That's the thing about mueller. Your schedule can change without much notice. I had 20 cases scheduled for today. 13 exterior, 2 high value and 5 interior. 3 cases were converted to exterior since i was unable to connect the insured. The 4th case added was a commercial that I have been trying to complete for almost two weeks. So instead of working 9 to 2 and being close to home, I worked 9 to 430 and had an hour to get home. However by adding those three exteriortotodays schedule I don't have to go back into that area this week. More time today but it saved me from wasting time on Friday. Make sense?

No,
    it does not make sense.
    you are suggesting 24 Inspections completed in 5 hours tommorrow.
    With travel,
    that can not be done effectively.
    (Even if limited to mailboxes only)

Like I said,
    If it works for you and your employer...

Mueller Fieldrep Guest

No,
    it does not make sense.
    you are suggesting 24 Inspections completed in 5 hours tommorrow.
    With travel,
    that can not be done effectively.
    (Even if limited to mailboxes only)

Like I said,
    If it works for you and your employer...
    I think you are confused. Exterior inspections are sometimes photos only. How long would it take you to photo a house? I did 4 today in 30 minutes. I picked up on your sarcasm about it working for my employer. I am performing the job they are asking to be completed. I worked 7.5 hours in the field today. My mileage was 41. I happened to get stuck in traffic on the way home. Btw, it works very well for me. I was home in time to play with my daughter and cook dinner. That's why I work for mueller.

As I said.

"If what you do, works for you and your employer.... its a great deal."

Any ill intention perceived is your own.

You initiated this posting.
    My business operation is within the Main Line PA (Suburban Philadelphia)
    In Business over 10 years and never heard of Mueller (or anything confusingly similar)

Last edited by Joseph Hagarty; 12-21-2011 at 08:02 PM.

Mueller Fieldrep Guest

As I said.

"If what you do, works for you and your employer.... its a great deal."

Any ill intention perceived is your own.

You initiated this posting.
    My business operation is within the Main Line PA (Suburban Philadelphia)
    In Business over 10 years and never heard of Mueller (or anything confusingly similar)
    Mueller doesnt perform "standard inspections" We perform underwriting and occupancy inspections or surveys as they are referred to. along inspection in my job is an hour. Most interior inspections can be performed in 15-20 minutes plus drive time. Scheduling is a big part of my job since I may receive as many 60 or 70 cases a week.

I sometimes travel for mueller and have worked in your area as well as other parts of PA when they needed a rep in the area.

There are numerous companies that do the same thing that mueller does. Mueller is one of the largest, if not the largest underwriting inspection company in the U.S.

Traditional inspectors are reliant upon a purchase to provide business. Underwriting inspections can be triggered for any number reasons including a claim, a loan, changing insurance companies. a lapse in coverage. Even calling your insurance company with a question can trigger an inspection. I have been to the same house 3 times in a month for three different insurance companies while a homeowner was gettting quotes.

Each company wants a specific set of questions answered for the home. Some are very simple and only require a few minutes to complete online. Others like High Value homes may be 15 pages and a diagram as well as esoteric questions like how many doors and what type.

Mueller reps get paid by the case. I would feel safe in saying that high value and Exterior inspections can be completed in as little as 3 or 4 minutes if its just pictures. Pictures and diagram may take 15 minutes. High values typically an hour. Commercial cases can be anywhere from 20 minutes to a day. I had an inspeection of a foundry that was 240,000 square feet. That took me 2 days.

Insurance companies are more concered with the risks of a home and what the replacement value is. They arent interested in anytghing but the most obvious problems like fire hazards and obvious water damage. We dont discuss what we find with the homeowner. Any questions and they are referred to thier agent.

Now that I have explained what Mueller does, do you understand how an field rep can complete 24 cases in one day? Tomorrow I have 30 cases and will only drive about 15 miles. 4 of the cases are within one square block.

Unfortunately,
    I do understand what you are saying.

I have completed Insurance Inspections mostly for Travelers Insurance (as well as others)
    Underwriter is a competitor of Mueller.

I guess mine were a bit more involved as the site work generally involved introduction, questioning and then detailed measurements and assessment of the quality of site improvement followed up by field drawings (CAD)

these were generally for insurability and not a loss.

30 site visits in a 5 hour day leaves 10 minutes per site not counting travel time or bathroom breaks.

Again,
    If that works for you and your employer... that is great.

And your confirmation that you spend less than 10 minutes on site
    works well as testimony for my current work with Attorneys working for Clients
    in Litigation against their Insured Carriers.

Last edited by Joseph Hagarty; 12-21-2011 at 10:31 PM.

Mueller Fieldrep Guest

Unfortunately,
    I do understand what you are saying.

I have completed Insurance Inspections mostly for Travelers Insurance (as well as others)
    Underwriter is a competitor of Mueller.

I guess mine were a bit more involved as the site work generally involved introduction, questioning and then detailed measurements and assessment of the quality of site improvement followed up by field drawings (CAD)

these were generally for insurability and not a loss.

30 site visits in a 5 hour day leaves 10 minutes per site not counting travel time or bathroom breaks.

Again,
    If that works for you and your employer... that is great.

And your confirmation that you spend less than 10 minutes on site
    works well as testimony for my current work with Attorneys working for Clients
    in Litigation against their Insured Carriers.

Joe,
    Based on your comments here is what I gather. You are a much better inspector than I am. Obviosly your are well informed of everything regarding home inspections and you think Mueller is a cut rate inspection company. There is a market for the services my company provides.

They pay me to do a job and I do it well. I make a decent living and love my hours. I don't have to worry about my phone and if it stops ringing due to slow or non existent home sales. I fell into a niche position that works great for me. I get to meet different people and work in different areas so it doesn't get boring. Best of all and most important to me, I spend time with my family. I wouldn't take double my pay to lose that time.

And yes, it does work well for me. In fact, very well.

And yes, it does work well for me. In fact, very well.
    Awesome.
    I agree.
    At the end of the day, that is all that should matter for you and your family.
    Have a great Holiday.

Just so new and potential field reps don't get the wrong idea, it should be stressed that it takes several months to work up to the kind of pace that MFR goes, and some people may never get that fast. Depends partly on the assignments and the region, and a lot on experience and individual ability. Also depends on the companies who ordered the surveys, since some take more time than others. For example, I work mostly with a company, USAA, that demands all photos be labeled using the Mueller website, and that alone can take 7-25 minutes, depending on the type of survey (upper end is for high value ones). Exterior surveys for Chubb take me about twice the time of others.

- James Burgh, 1754.

Mueller Fieldrep Guest

Just so new and potential field reps don't get the wrong idea, it should be stressed that it takes several months to work up to the kind of pace that MFR goes, and some people may never get that fast. Depends partly on the assignments and the region, and a lot on experience and individual ability. Also depends on the companies who ordered the surveys, since some take more time than others. For example, I work mostly with a company, USAA, that demands all photos be labeled using the Mueller website, and that alone can take 7-25 minutes, depending on the type of survey (upper end is for high value ones). Exterior surveys for Chubb take me about twice the time of others.
    I am lucky in that most of my cases are nationwide. Appointment efforts then go. If I get a case on friday, I will call that night, saturday and then again on tuesday with a courtesy call to the agent. By wednesday the case has been submitted. The USAA cases should be paying at least 1/3 more than other companies. They are a pain to label and my rejection for USAA cases is about 30%. NAtionwide and other carriers, about 8%. It took me two years to work up to this pace. My trainer told me that when he was field rep, he would submit 80-100 cases a week. I had a hard time believing that until I got to the point I am now. If I work work 4 full days in the field, I mean 8 to 4 and eating lunch in the car, I could maybe get 80 cases done if they are exterior heavy. I went out today at 8 and got hoe at 330, I only did 14 cases today but I was really moving slow. The weathe ris gonna be bad tomorrow and I wanted to get my exteriors done just in case.

Krisit,
    Have you done any cases for wind or water?

I've never done any wind or water cases. Sounds like you have quite a few exteriors - that would make a difference in the pace, too, not least because scheduling is so much easier. I rarely have Appt. Efforts Then Go. In some ways it's better to have a lot of cases assigned because it's so much easier to group things geographically.

The USAA cases should be paying at least 1/3 more than other companies.
    Amen to that, brother! If only it were so.

Did you start with the pay scale you have now, or did they increase it? Could have something to do with cost of living in your area, I suppose.

Today was kind of fun - one of my PHs was a guy who's played piano for Garrison Keillor on A Prairie Home Companion for as long as I can remember. I asked him to play a little something for me, and he obliged.

- James Burgh, 1754.

Mueller Fieldrep Guest

I've never done any wind or water cases. Sounds like you have quite a few exteriors - that would make a difference in the pace, too, not least because scheduling is so much easier. I rarely have Appt. Efforts Then Go. In some ways it's better to have a lot of cases assigned because it's so much easier to group things geographically.

Amen to that, brother! If only it were so.

Did you start with the pay scale you have now, or did they increase it? Could have something to do with cost of living in your area, I suppose.

Today was kind of fun - one of my PHs was a guy who's played piano for Garrison Keillor on A Prairie Home Companion for as long as I can remember. I asked him to play a little something for me, and he obliged.
    My payscale changes all the time since I will work out of county. This week I worked within ten miles of ho e so the numbers are what I gave you. A few weeks I was working about 50 miles from my area. My manager doubled almost all my cases in that it sounds good but I was only getting 8-10 cases completed per day.

I recently spoke with a rep from a competing company. I will be speaking with my manager shortly about compensation. A competing company paysthe same but there are no labels and the internet work is mch less. So,its the same money but less work.

My payscale changes all the time since I will work out of county. This week I worked within ten miles of ho e so the numbers are what I gave you. A few weeks I was working about 50 miles from my area. My manager doubled almost all my cases in that it sounds good but I was only getting 8-10 cases completed per day.

I recently spoke with a rep from a competing company. I will be speaking with my manager shortly about compensation. A competing company paysthe same but there are no labels and the internet work is mch less. So,its the same money but less work.
    You need to learn how to ask for trip charges.

Mueller Fieldrep Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Elliott View Post
    You need to learn how to ask for trip charges.
    We are paid for traveling and I received twice the ususal rate for the surveys. Did you mean something else?

We are paid for traveling and I received twice the ususal rate for the surveys. Did you mean something else?
    I simply meant that you should dictate the trip charges in order to meet your daily financial goal.

Did certain draw inspections that paid cr-p and always made sure to add trip rates that I had set even if it was down the block.

Some of these outfits only allot a certain fee structure but you can work the system to keep it fair for you.

Depends on who you are dealing with and if they find your dependable performance worth it.

Mueller whats your name, curious why don't you disclose your name.

He's worried about what he says getting back to Mueller. They don't facilitate communication among field reps, or look on it as a good thing. If his manager sees it, he might not look well on it, and we are at their mercy! This way he can say what he wants. I was reluctant to use my name at first, too, for the same reason.

Last edited by Kristi Silber; 12-23-2011 at 10:17 PM.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

Mueller doesnt perform "standard inspections" We perform underwriting and occupancy inspections or surveys as they are referred to. along inspection in my job is an hour. Most interior inspections can be performed in 15-20 minutes plus drive time. Scheduling is a big part of my job since I may receive as many 60 or 70 cases a week.

I sometimes travel for mueller and have worked in your area as well as other parts of PA when they needed a rep in the area.

There are numerous companies that do the same thing that mueller does. Mueller is one of the largest, if not the largest underwriting inspection company in the U.S.

Traditional inspectors are reliant upon a purchase to provide business. Underwriting inspections can be triggered for any number reasons including a claim, a loan, changing insurance companies. a lapse in coverage. Even calling your insurance company with a question can trigger an inspection. I have been to the same house 3 times in a month for three different insurance companies while a homeowner was gettting quotes.

Each company wants a specific set of questions answered for the home. Some are very simple and only require a few minutes to complete online. Others like High Value homes may be 15 pages and a diagram as well as esoteric questions like how many doors and what type.

Mueller reps get paid by the case. I would feel safe in saying that high value and Exterior inspections can be completed in as little as 3 or 4 minutes if its just pictures. Pictures and diagram may take 15 minutes. High values typically an hour. Commercial cases can be anywhere from 20 minutes to a day. I had an inspeection of a foundry that was 240,000 square feet. That took me 2 days.

Insurance companies are more concered with the risks of a home and what the replacement value is. They arent interested in anytghing but the most obvious problems like fire hazards and obvious water damage. We dont discuss what we find with the homeowner. Any questions and they are referred to thier agent.

Now that I have explained what Mueller does, do you understand how an field rep can complete 24 cases in one day? Tomorrow I have 30 cases and will only drive about 15 miles. 4 of the cases are within one square block.
    Really, Spell Check is your friend. Try it sometime. Unless, of course, Mueller doesn't care about how sloppy your work product appears.

Mueller Fieldrep Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeMan View Post
    Really, Spell Check is your friend. Try it so metime. Unless, of course, Mueller doesn't care about how sloppy your work product appears.
    Mueller does. And they also pay me. If you want to pay me for posting I will check my spelling. The other option is you can just not read my posts

Mueller does. And they also pay me. If you want to pay me for posting I will check my spelling. The other option is you can just not read my posts
    MuellerFieldRep, This is a great forum for information exchange, bouncing ideas off members, and a general critique of your overall professionalism. I have learned quite a bit from reading your posts as well as all of the contributors to this thread, but if you don't mind a little advice.... don't get so defensive.... it only fuels the fire. If you are looking for a debate, you can certainly find someone on this site who will be more than happy to oblige, but the majority of the people who frequent this forum are truly looking for insight and information exchanges....simply that. Just cool your jets a bit.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
    Jubilee Home Inspections

Mueller Fieldrep Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dub Smith View Post
    MuellerFieldRep, This is a great forum for information exchange, bouncing ideas off members, and a general critique of your overall professionalism. I have learned quite a bit from reading your posts as well as all of the contributors to this thread, but if you don't mind a little advice.... don't get so defensive.... it only fuels the fire. If you are looking for a debate, you can certainly find someone on this site who will be more than happy to oblige, but the majority of the people who frequent this forum are truly looking for insight and information exchanges....simply that. Just cool your jets a bit.
    Thanks Dub, I appreciate your well versed response. There are different ways to say things and pass on advice. Yours was put in a way that makes sense and comes off nicely. The previous poster came off as a basement dweller who has nothing better to do than critique the spelling and grammar of other posters.

I belong to a number of message boards, both professional and hobby related. On most boards, as long as you get your point accross, spelling doesn't matter. In fact, on one board, a common misspelling of a certain word signifies you have been on the board for a long time.

Without going back and looking, I believe the poster who was checking my spelling joined the board not too long before I did and he had less than ten posts. Ten posts and he is correcting grammar? You on the other hand have been around for a while and seem to know how to get your point across.

K Mangum Guest

I have been working for Mueller for a little over a year and just turned in a letter of resignation (several reasons, including compensation) Anyway, the bulk of my cases are USAA and I agree, they should pay at a higher rate. For the past 2 months, almost every single one has been a rental which involves calls to policyholder, who then must contact a property manager and/or tenant. Very time consuming and often resulting in a "Close Out" which pays nothing. I was hired to do my county at a rate of $13.00/hour. However, at least half of my work involves travel to adjacent counties - mostly rural areas and the lake.
    Flexibility of the job has been nice, but I never feel like I have completed a week of work b/c cases are assigned daily. Have been disappointed in support from the company. My manager is nice but has a 48 hour response time and as well as I do my job I have never been complimented or received any positive encouragement. Nothing but waking up to the dreaded MUELLER-REJECTED email and purple highlighted case.

"...as well as I do my job I have never been complimented or received any positive encouragement."

This seems to be a universal feeling among FRs. It's something that could be changed without much effort on their part. It must be policy, to be so widespread a phenomenon. I wonder what the rationale is.

K, good luck to you in whatever you do next!

- James Burgh, 1754.

Mueller Fieldrep Guest

Quote Originally Posted by K Mangum View Post
    I have been working for Mueller for a little over a year and just turned in a letter of resignation (several reasons, including compensation) Anyway, the bulk of my cases are USAA and I agree, they should pay at a higher rate. For the past 2 months, almost every single one has been a rental which involves calls to policyholder, who then must contact a property manager and/or tenant. Very time consuming and often resulting in a "Close Out" which pays nothing. I was hired to do my county at a rate of $13.00/hour. However, at least half of my work involves travel to adjacent counties - mostly rural areas and the lake.
    Flexibility of the job has been nice, but I never feel like I have completed a week of work b/c cases are assigned daily. Have been disappointed in support from the company. My manager is nice but has a 48 hour response time and as well as I do my job I have never been complimented or received any positive encouragement. Nothing but waking up to the dreaded MUELLER-REJECTED email and purple highlighted case.
    Have you spoken to your manager about working on exterior cases only? I know Mueller will keep you on part time if you are good at these type cases. What's the worst that could happen? They say no.

K Mangum Guest

I actually attempted to give this position up early last summer and agreed to take on exterior work only. My manager at that time did send work my way but when I questioned her about the slim weeks she indicated that she had to leave some of the non-appointment cases for the "travelers" that were having to handle my territory. Apparently they never tried, or had no luck, hiring a replacement.

Early in the fall, she asked if I could help them out with a few appointment cases and it snowballed from there - 25 or 30 cases at a time.

My error rate has been good - I have never been on anything but "green light" and most of my errors are simple things like forgetting to mention that there was no address on the property, etc.

This week my manager is on vacation and his boss is filling in. It has been a difficult and confusing week. We were asked to hold all our cases needing adjustments until the end of the week with the promise that fees would be adjusted after the fact. As a result, cases are now past due and/or cases are sitting in the payroll queue with adjustments pending. I personally think that it is important to know what your compensation is prior to submitting a case. To me it is the same as changing someone's time card after they have signed it. It may be fair and there may be nothing wrong with it, but I don't think it presents itself as above board.

Talking Re: Mueller Field Rep - New to this site

Also new to this site, stumbled on it actually while doing other industry research. Anonymity is vital right now for reasons I cannot articulate.

A ton of interesting commentary and dialogue on this site. I've been in the industry 25 yrs, average 4,000 surveys annually, and am experienced enough to make this profitable and enjoyable work for the most part. I agree with many prior posts that it is extremely difficult in this day and age to turn a profit while going through an arduous training period...enough to dissuade a lot of potential new inspector candidates.

The advent of the automation age occurred during my years as an IC, and while it does allow for a consistent product to the client, it also creates duplicative work - in that everything captured in the field notes must be replicated in an online form. It wasnt that long ago where a neatly written and checked off paper report and a neat freehand sketch went off to the vendor for office admin to prepare for packaging. Now we do 90% in the field, and the fee rates have not kept pace with the additional work required. I happen to be extremely adept on the keyboard, have developed my own psychotic 'shorthand' and am no stranger to the occasional speeding ticket so I have "adapted" to a level of profitability!

Mueller Fieldrep

Do you really need to quote the entire thread you are replying too?

And for those that advocate using real names, why don't some of you put a profile up!

Now that I got that off my chest welcome to the looney bin where egos are rampant, and opinions opinionated, and there is never agreement on the answers!

I agree with Raymond, I also think that InspectionNews should not allow a post unless the individuals post their legit profiles.

Mueller Fieldrep Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Ramirez View Post
    I agree with Raymond, I also think that InspectionNews should not allow a post unless the individuals post their legit profiles.

Rick, I think you and Raymond should start your own board and then you can determine who can post.

Cool Re: Mueller Field Rep - New to this site

Mueller you should grow some stones. Most here are willing to disclose who they are. If you were disclosing some life-threatening information, then I could understand your unwillingness to disclose who your name, but you're not.

I also do these insurance surveys, for a different company, and so I understand why some folks are staying anonymous to keep their jobs. I appreciate the insight about the job that these other folks have shared.

Last edited by Phil Gould; 02-10-2012 at 01:53 PM. Reason: brevity

Mueller Fieldrep Guest

Mueller you should grow some stones. Most here are willing to disclose who they are. If you were disclosing some life-threatening information, then I could understand your unwillingness to disclose who your name, but you're not.
    Rick,
    When you get a chance, post the link to that new site you are making. Until then I will continue to post the way I have been.

If this bothers you, please feel free to ignore my posts. You don't work for Mueller, so you have no concept of the dynamics involved.

Some people come to this site to learn or to help fellow inspectors, others to look for trouble and criticize others. Which group do you belong to?

I'm sorry what s your name again.

Mueller Fieldrep Guest

I'm sorry what s your name again.

If that's the best you've got, then I will accept victory with grace. Just for the record, what s is correctly spelled "what's" which is short for what is, or what some some people may call a contraction.

Victory your funny, I didn't know you were in a competition, good luck with that. Don't forget the stones. Mueller have a good weekend.

This gets gooder and gooder, people with monikers with no profile critiquing others with monikers and no profiles.

Like I said welcome to the looney bin.

Quote Originally Posted by Veteran Field Rep View Post
    and am no stranger to the occasional speeding ticket so I have "adapted" to a level of profitability!
    Hmmmmm
    unacceptable if you were my employee.....

I am sure your Employer would be as well if aware....

On a side note, somewhat related about identities, I can't help but notice the number of inspectors who have websites and claim all sorts of things, but fail to put any mention of their name anywhere on the site.

Seems shortsighted to me, actually dumb. How does not having any name on the site instill consumer confidence, or generate sales?

What's the big deal about Mueller Field Rep and his identity? Why do you need to know? He has a reason for withholding that info, and it has nothing to do with the forum. It's the only way a Mueller FR can voice criticism on the internet about the job or company without fearing reprisal. Sometimes I wish I hadn't used my real name.

It's kind of a fluke that IN has become a hub for MFRs to share info, or potential MFRs to get info. The original Mueller thread from 2008 must have over 27,000 views by now. We FRs have a different job perspective from HIs, even though we do some similar things.

Last edited by Kristi Silber; 02-11-2012 at 04:20 PM.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

melissa carmichael Guest

hi i am new here as well. i am interested in becoming a field rep and want to know how i go about doing so. if anyone has any information to share i would greatly appreciate......thanks mel

The first step would be contacting the company to see if they need someone in your area. They'll explain the application process if they have an opening...even if they don't, they might want you to apply. The turnover is high enough that a position might open anytime.

- James Burgh, 1754.

melissa carmichael Guest

The first step would be contacting the company to see if they need someone in your area. They'll explain the application process if they have an opening...even if they don't, they might want you to apply. The turnover is high enough that a position might open anytime.
    Thanks what kind of studying or knowledge do you need to have? I heard there is a test. How do you prepare for this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast