Default Tree leaning pic

Pretty cool pic, thought I'd share it.. Tree was huge.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Tree leaning pic

I suspect the ground shifted as trees basically like to grow toward the sun (up ) with regard to their trunks.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Or maybe this one.
    Not only did I recommend the tree be taken down but also full building demolition.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    Or maybe this one.
    Not only did I recommend the tree be taken down but also full building demolition.
    Dude, from the image the house looks like a potential POS...?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    Dude, from the image the house looks like a potential POS...?
    I think that is what Markus meant with:

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    also full building demolition.
    Markus, that looks like one of those check list/check box report inspections: first page, first check box: Demolish house - check ... done with report.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I think that is what Markus meant with:

Markus, that looks like one of those check list/check box report inspections: first page, first check box: Demolish house - check ... done with report.
    Yea, I caught that afterwards.. I like the checklist report Idea.

Realistically it could be a checkbox report. Unfortunately for me it isn't. I have a separate demo report that I do. It's not all that different than a regular report except for the emphasize. The narrative and pictures are more detailed.
    When I'm saying 'this building should be demolished' it becomes very important to accurately justify and prove why I'm making such a recommendation. Conditions are X, it is unfeasible because of Y.
    It's pretty rare that one of my demo reports gets challenged. By the time I'm done its pretty hard for someone to come back and justify why not.
    Sometimes I wonder if I'm the closet demo king.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

I've had my eye on this one near my neighborhood for years. I think this winter will be its last.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

I suspect the ground shifted as trees basically like to grow toward the sun (up ) with regard to their trunks.
    Could also be that it was growing out from under the shade of another tree (now gone) for much of its life.

Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristi Silber View Post
    Could also be that it was growing out from under the shade of another tree (now gone) for much of its life.
    I doubt it, those trees kind of slowly bend out toward the light, the tree in the photo is fairly straight at the trunk, just straight at a 45 degree angle.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I doubt it, those trees kind of slowly bend out toward the light, the tree in the photo is fairly straight at the trunk, just straight at a 45 degree angle.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    That tree has been heavily pruned, with its rightmost large branch cut off. It reminds me of the type of pruning done in ROWs to protect the lines. Not that that's what it is, just that it's been pruned.

The ground around the tree is not obviously out of character with the rest of the landscaping. That's not to say it hasn't moved, just not enough to account for its angle.

You're talking to an ecologist who specializes in forests and their regrowth.

Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

You're talking to a person who has seen trees tip like that in snow blizzards and high wind events (hurricanes).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Yeah !.
    * and best remember that.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

You're talking to a person who has seen trees tip like that in snow blizzards and high wind events (hurricanes).
    And I've seen trees tip in snow blizzards and tornados, but not like that.

Billy, you cracked me up just then. Thanks, mate.

- James Burgh, 1754.

Rod Smith Guest

WOW! I don't think I would want to be next to ANY of the three! Looks like an accident(and potential lawsuit) in the making....!

It's amazing what a healthy root system can hold up. That photo of the spruce I find most disturbing. There's no obvious evidence of its roots being pulled up or damaged. My guess is it was injured at the base as a sapling, or maybe just grew away from a tree that is no longer there. Weird, though.

The same photo shows other trees growing at angles, but they aren't nearly so obvious seen in the context of their neighbors.

Last edited by Kristi Silber; 12-23-2011 at 11:44 PM.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    Pretty cool pic, thought I'd share it.. Tree was huge.
    Looks like a gnarly tree to remove.