Thread: Deck Placement

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Deck Placement

For some reason, somebody thought it would be a good idea to put the deck footers in the swale. Making the egress window flush with the deck and no safety grate was a nice touch too.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    "It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Default Re: Deck Placement

I predict a minimum of 17 replies outlining the deficiencies (some visible, some not) in the egress window photo alone.

It's like catnip to some people.

Stephen G Guest

Unless its worse than the pics allude to, shouldnt be to much manual labour to sort that out. After Raising and temp support the deck corner, install a proper pier with drainage. Then cut up that grass on the swale and put in maybe some limestone for drainage and direction away from the deck and house.

Sometimes you gotta build were you can. Some forethought in the planning stage wouldnt have hurt to

my thoughts are 10 cents...

Knowing the area, this deck was most likely permitted, inspected and approved.
    Note the deficiencies knowing that they will never be corrected.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hagarty View Post
    Knowing the area, this deck was most likely permitted, inspected and approved.
    Note the deficiencies knowing that they will never be corrected.
    True.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Robert Schenck Guest

Nick – Good call on the decking. I have to agree with Stephen on the drainage remedy. As far as the egress window and it being flush with the deck – I see only one solution. If it were my home, I would build a handrail around it – with a latching gate, to prevent someone from falling in, yet allowing them to get out through the small gate. I think that would reduce (eliminate) the liability issue. The chances of someone walking near it and falling into it are great. It’s not IF, but rather WHEN someone does.