Question Re plumbed house

Hi, inspected two houses this week that have be re-plumbed with pex line tapped off hot water line of water heater and penetrating firewall into attic.
    What is correct way of doing this?
    Thanks,
    Mike Richards

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Re plumbed house

Why do you say that they are penetrating the firewall into the attic?

The only requirement is 1/2" gypsum board to the underside. The picture shown is not a fire wall or even a fire barrier. It's just a piece of gypsum board. No violations I can see except for securing of the pex.

Default Re: Re plumbed house

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Carlisle View Post
    Why do you say that they are penetrating the firewall into the attic?

The only requirement is 1/2" gypsum board to the underside. The picture shown is not a fire wall or even a fire barrier. It's just a piece of gypsum board. No violations I can see except for securing of the pex.
    And sealing around the penetration.

From the IRC:
    - R309.1.2 Other penetrations. Penetrations through the separation required in Section R309.2 shall be protected by filling the opening around the penetrating item with approved material to resist the free passage of flame and products of combustion.

And I see an even larger opening off to the right in that photo, probably at the vent.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com