Default Commercial Inspection

Since I have experience in commercial building maintenance, I am expanding my home inspection business to include commercial building inspections. Can anyone tell me if commercial building buyers have different expectations for an inspection report? Do they want a more comprehensive list of defects? Do they want more details, rather than the “representative number of windows”, etc?

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Darrel Hood Guest

Default Re: Commercial Inspection

Garrett,
    As is usually the case, the answer is it depends . . . on the client's needs and wants. Some things they may need include:
    1. FFE inspection.
    2. Inventory inspection.
    3. Capital reserve recommendations.
    4. Basic building inspection.
    5. Determination if the building can support their intended use, ie power specs, plumbing, parking, etc.
    6. Compliance with handicap access requirements.
    7. Many more examples.

I hope this helps.

Definitely a different inspection and report. You should be able to modify your existing report. The changes in inspection and report are more on emphasize and detail rather than complete change.
    When a homebuyer calls, you talk to them about the house to figure a price, etc for the inspection. The purpose for their inspection call is fairly clear, they want to live there.
    When a Comm client calls, you talk to them about their expectations, what are they looking at doing with the space, what is the purpose of the inspection etc. Often times Comm clients expect one to know ballpark prices for various trades. That plays in important part in the decision making process.
    Let's say you are looking at a bare, old warehouse and the buyer is looking to open a machine shop of sorts, your report better have clear info about the ancient 400A service. Chances are he's going to need a new 800A or 1200A 3 phase service. If you cover those types of bases you'll be a rockstar to the client.
    Get at least a rudimentary understanding of how your local Muni deals with environmental issues. Not an issue if looking at strip malls or offices but a big deal if looking at warehouses.
    Look at using the ASTM2018 as a report standard. Works well, widely accepted, and provides clear outlines of info you should be covering.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Smile Re: Commercial Inspection

Thanks, Guys. I appreciate your help.

Commercial inspections: Look for:

ASTM E2018

ASTM E2018 - 08 Standard Guide for Property Condition Assessments: Baseline Property Condition Assessment Process

Lisa will certainly chime in on this. Internachi has something they promote. She will balther on I am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett Merrick View Post
    Since I have experience in commercial building maintenance, I am expanding my home inspection business to include commercial building inspections. Can anyone tell me if commercial building buyers have different expectations for an inspection report? Do they want a more comprehensive list of defects? Do they want more details, rather than the “representative number of windows”, etc?
    You can not look at commercial inspection like an ASHI SOP or other org SOP. Commercial building maintenance may be an asset if it included plumbing, elect HVAC and Stationary Engineering (boilers). Commercial purchasers have very different concepts about properties. Often it is tailored to their requirements

Thanks, Garry. I have InterNACHI's Commercial Inspection SOP, have taken their online course, and have practiced commercial inspections on two large buildings based on them, with my own modifications to make an easily readable report. I have also performed ADA inspections, green inspections, fire door inspections, and fire damper inspections.

I do have training and experience in plumbing, industrial electricity (up to 600V) electrical, boilers, RTUs, along with residential construction and remodeling experience.

While the ASTM SoP is the standard that many use, I do not care for it.

I simply ask the prospective client what they want, what they are going to do with the property and if they have any specific concerns. Then if time permits I try to get by and visit the property before I offer a quote on the fee.

Whoever is buying the property will usually tell you what they want in the way of an inspection. Roof, plumbing, electrical, parking, drainage, lighting, over all structure are the common things. Most of the time you will find yourself providing a list of what is in the building, and then what is working and what is not working. I find commercial jobs a heck of a lot easier than residential and better paying!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I agree with Scott. The main ingredients of interest for commercial real estate buyers are usually; exterior conditions, roof coverings, HVAC & electrical systems and to a lesser extent plumbing systems. It's basiclly all about use and the good thing is there is little or no emotion involved, just the facts mam.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Join the ComInspect Network of Commercial Property Inspectors. It's free.

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Well that didn't take long..
    .[ Qoute] Lisa will certainly chime in on this. Internachi has something they promote. She will balther on I am sure

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Endza View Post
    Join the ComInspect Network of Commercial Property Inspectors. It's free.
    FREE ???? This is from your free commerical membership application.
    How can it be free when you have to pay be a nacho member???

____ I am a member in good standing of the International Association of Certi!ed Home Inspectors
    (InterNACHI).

AHHhh..... Chicago Bob.. And you call inspectors that choose to belong to another inspector association nacho haters ? Hears some hate, slander and an out and out lie, from the association you support with your dues...

____ I am not supporting (via dues or otherwise) any inspection-industry diploma mills.

Last edited by Dan Harris; 12-23-2011 at 05:39 PM.
    Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Thanks, all, for your helpful comments.

Ludwig Maxwell Guest

Hello Lisa

Do you have a link to ComInspect Network of Commercial Property Inspectors.

Divinityinspectionservice.com

target inspect,

Sounds great. Please send.

Garrett

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    Well that didn't take long..
    .[ Qoute] Lisa will certainly chime in on this. Internachi has something they promote. She will balther on I am sure

FREE ???? This is from your free commerical membership application.
    How can it be free when you have to pay be a nacho member???

____ I am a member in good standing of the International Association of Certi!ed Home Inspectors
    (InterNACHI).

AHHhh..... Chicago Bob.. And you call inspectors that choose to belong to another inspector association nacho haters ? Hears some hate, slander and an out and out lie, from the association you support with your dues...

____ I am not supporting (via dues or otherwise) any inspection-industry diploma mills.
    I was not even on this thread,so whats up with that?
    You trying to channel me in or something?,heck I do not even do commercial however if I do in the future I will read everything I can including NACHI information,ASHI information and will continue my membership along side Dale Duffy at National Association of Commercial Building Inspectors and Thermographers | Commercial Building Inspection, Thermal Infrared IR Scan United States

The very first part to this equation would also be to get IR certified.

You HATER.

Quote Originally Posted by target inspect View Post
    thumb yourself Bob... I don't have time for you or your organizations... Oh I'm sorry did I bother you? You must be thumbing!
    Hey your in AZ along with Dale so are you guys buddies or what?

Quote Originally Posted by target inspect View Post
    Bob, I've never even met the man! I am sure he is great, he is obviously respected within the industry and quite frankly should be! However he won't rub elbows within his local community for obvious competitive reasons, believe me, he only performs a small percentage of work here in AZ...
    I guess he has his reasons however I was impressed he drove hours just to come say hello.