mathew stouffer Guest

Default Settlement under footing

SF home built in 1980. Settlement or grade was present along the footing is vasious areas. The walls were free of cracking. It there any amount of acceptable settlement or do you call for further evaluation.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Settlement under footing

I'm not too crazy about that pier repair, or the gaps at the footings. I would be telling my clients they needed someone (engineer) to look at it.

mathew stouffer Guest

The repair was in there by mistake. I was concerned above the settlement, just wanted a feel for how you address the settlement.

No answer, just a question.
    Is it common to see the footing on top of the soil?

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    SF home built in 1980. Settlement or grade was present along the footing is vasious areas. The walls were free of cracking. It there any amount of acceptable settlement or do you call for further evaluation.
    A footing on soil. Never right. Obviously it was not undisturbed soil. If they are were using that as a structural wall it should have been installed as any proper footing and not just poured on top of disturbed soil.

Engineer? I don't know about that but at least a good foundation company. No noticeable movement to the home? Well, the "footing" as they call it, moved or the soil under it. What is the next step.

Absolutely, write it up for a foundation company. Foundation companies will got eh next step to an engineer if needed. Or an in house engineer to draw it up.

Oh yeah, and the other fixes needed.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    It there any amount of acceptable settlement ...
    No, none is acceptable.

The footing is supposed to be supported on the soil it was placed on. If that was a grade beam (it is not), then no soil support is required, it is designed to serve as a "beam" placed at or below grade.

... or do you call for further evaluation.
    No ... ... I would call for a structural engineer to design appropriate repairs.

Ted referenced a foundation company, most foundation companies I've know had their own engineer on staff (usually the owner of the foundation company), that or they contracted with an structural engineer they worked closely with on a regular basis.

I prefer the engineer route, let them design the appropriate repair, they will have a foundation company they work for or work with.

Either way - *you* did the 'evaluation', now it just needs to be 'repaired'.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

that cinder block support is way wrong --hollow in always down

cvf

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

While agreeing with all other posts; this is a good example of what well placed rebar can do. (1980 and no cracks!)

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Additionally, I would also further evaluate the drainage issues with this building, as it appears to indicate the possibility of washout as well as subsidence.

George Hallaron: Owner primary inspector
    Bienvenue Home Inspections LLC
    www.bienvenuehomeinspections.com

I don't understand the part about the footing. Isn't the footing under the concrete slabs that make up the foundation? The ring around the interior is something (among many!) I haven't seen - is that part of construction for seismic zones, or what? Where the floor would go?

Is this under a porch?

Last edited by Kristi Silber; 12-30-2011 at 05:11 PM.
    Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

Well? Am I way off base(ment)?

What's the strapping on the walls here - is it for the attachment of a stud wall? Or part of the production process of making the slabs? I suppose that's it - the straps hold the boards up. I don't encounter this kind of thing.

Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.
    - James Burgh, 1754.