Thread: Need new camera

Default Need new camera

Looking for a sleek, thin, super fast on/off, ability to take multiple images without that 3 second pause between images - super fast shutter without changing the mode, takes clear close up, clear far away, electronic zoom, rechargeable from PC connection....

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Need new camera

Happy New Year Marc,

I purchased one of these and very pleased. Does everything you require, is dust and waterproof and drop proof.

http://store.sony.ca/webapp/wcs/stor...52921666296214

However you have to take the battery out to recharge due to the waterproofing of the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Happy New Year Marc,

I purchased one of these and very pleased. Does everything you require, is dust and waterproof and drop proof.

DSCTX10 | Cyber-shot® Digital Camera TX10 | Sony | Sony Style Canada

However you have to take the battery out to recharge due to the waterproofing of the camera.
    Happy new year to you Raymond. Thanks for the link. Its funny that you sent me that because I was actually going to go look for a new water/dust proof camera also.

At Best Buy the other day I noticed a new Nikon CoolPix camera that is waterproof, dust and shockproof. It is small enough to fit in a pocket and I think it had a 12x optical zoom. I'm not sure on the price but I think it was in the $275 range.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

James Duffin Guest

I like cameras and flashlights where you replace the batteries rather than recharge them. I am willing to pay for the luxury of replacing a battery if it goes dead during an inspection.

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    I like cameras and flashlights where you replace the batteries rather than recharge them. I am willing to pay for the luxury of replacing a battery if it goes dead during an inspection.
    James,

I am sure you already know this, but ... you can buy a second rechargeable battery and have it ready to do just what you said - and not have the cost of replacing all those AA or AAA batteries.

That is the best of both world's.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

That's why I have 2 Rechargeable batteries.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

James Duffin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    James,

I am sure you already know this, but ... you can buy a second rechargeable battery and have it ready to do just what you said - and not have the cost of replacing all those AA or AAA batteries.

That is the best of both world's.
    Hard to stop by the store and buy a recharged battery. Like I said I am willing to pay for the convenience.

Hard to stop by the store and buy a recharged battery.
    Does not compute?

You are already at the store to buy a camera, and you buy the extra battery while there ... and it is hard to stop by the store???

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Amen Jerry!
    The last 3 or 4 cameras I have owned all have had rechargeable batteries. When I bought the camera, I bought an extra battery or two. I usually buy two cameras at the same time so I have a back up, and they use the same battery, memory card, etc.
    I carry the extra charger with me, and when I switch the battery out, I put the dead one in the charger next to my lap top.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

I use AA rechargeables and keep a couple sets of extra alkaline throwaways in my bag as backups.

I have used Nikon Coolpix cameras for my past three cameras and the one I am using now is probably pushing 3 years a of use and still chugging along admirably. I don't think it has anywhere near the amount of features you're looking for Marc but it runs in the low $100 range.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Does not compute?

You are already at the store to buy a camera, and you buy the extra battery while there ... and it is hard to stop by the store???

Some cameras (and other electronics) don't have removable batteries, they must be recharged while in the device. That's a huge downside.

I only buy cameras that use AA rechargeable batteries. I hate proprietary batteries. That way, you can always pop in some throw away AA's if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    Some cameras (and other electronics) don't have removable batteries, they must be recharged while in the device. That's a huge downside.
    If that is the case, that would be a huge downside ... unless one did as Jack does.

But of all the cameras I've bought, only one has that downside, my latest Kodak digital, but it takes excellent high definition video of our granddaughter, so I can deal with that downside.

I only buy cameras that use AA rechargeable batteries. I hate proprietary batteries. That way, you can always pop in some throw away AA's if needed.
    I always just bought an extra battery or two for those cameras - solved that problem.

I cannot understand James wanting to keep spending money on top of money just so he can use AA batteries and throw them away when he replaces them. I had cameras which used AA batteries and I used the rechargeable ones and kept the charger handy - I had 3 sets of rechargeable batteries for those cameras: one in the camera, one being charged, and one charged and ready for use. He does not have the time to stop by the store and buy a backup battery, but he has time to stop by the store and buy batteries after batteries after batteries ... ??? It is his choice, I just do not understand that thinking.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

James Duffin Guest

If that is the case, that would be a huge downside ... unless one did as Jack does.

But of all the cameras I've bought, only one has that downside, my latest Kodak digital, but it takes excellent high definition video of our granddaughter, so I can deal with that downside.

I always just bought an extra battery or two for those cameras - solved that problem.

I cannot understand James wanting to keep spending money on top of money just so he can use AA batteries and throw them away when he replaces them. I had cameras which used AA batteries and I used the rechargeable ones and kept the charger handy - I had 3 sets of rechargeable batteries for those cameras: one in the camera, one being charged, and one charged and ready for use. He does not have the time to stop by the store and buy a backup battery, but he has time to stop by the store and buy batteries after batteries after batteries ... ??? It is his choice, I just do not understand that thinking.
    I don't understand how me spending 50 cents on batteries per inspection is driving you crazy...but I like that it is!

...I just do not understand that thinking.

Diversity is great, isn't it?

I have two Panasonic Lumix cameras. My latest has 24mm wide angle lens that also has 16X optical zoom. The best thing is the auto macro though. I can put it less than an inch from a data plate and it will take excellent pictures. I can read all serial numbers etc. That important because if I write the notes I often can't read them later.
    I always carry an extra battery and keep a charger both in the car and at home. My bag has back up batteries for all the tools.
    Rick

Rick Sabatino
    Sabatino Consulting, Inc.
    Oak Park, IL

Post Re: Need new camera

My experience is that rechargeables do not perform the way fresh alkaline or lithium batteries do. Another important note; depending on the equipment, rechargeables might be a tight fit. Not all batteries are precisely the same size.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Aldering View Post
    My experience is that rechargeables do not perform the way fresh alkaline or lithium batteries do. Another important note; depending on the equipment, rechargeables might be a tight fit. Not all batteries are precisely the same size.
    You are correct about that. I use rechargeables AA's. The rechargeables run down fairly quickly, and so I put them on the charger at least every 2nd inspection.
    I get many months or over a year of service from a pair of rechargeable AA's by keeping them charged up. I keep two pairs of spares charged and ready in my briefcase, and a charger as well for the odd times that I find they've all gone dead from neglect. The charger I use at home has a green light that comes on when the batteries are done. This prevents excessive overcharging, and undercharging as well.

I have a Fuji camera that is a power hog. It requires a fresh fully charged set of AA batteries. It does not perform well on rechargeables, and not at all when the batts are weak. It is useless for that reason.

Nikon Coolpix are great rugged little cameras, but they are slow to recharge the flash. This costs me precious seconds a day. I like them. I don't worry about dust, because they're cheap to replace. Use it for a year, drop it on it's lens, that kills it, buy a new one at the drugstore.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Sabatino View Post
    I have two Panasonic Lumix cameras. My latest has 24mm wide angle lens that also has 16X optical zoom. The best thing is the auto macro though. I can put it less than an inch from a data plate and it will take excellent pictures. I can read all serial numbers etc. That important because if I write the notes I often can't read them later.
    I always carry an extra battery and keep a charger both in the car and at home. My bag has back up batteries for all the tools.
    Rick
    I bought the FH 25 and a Fuji for crawling. Rick, what does the icon look like for auto macro?

My camera for the last 13 months has been the Pentax Optio W90

Things I like about it:
    1. quick on/off
    2. lag between pics is quick (ready to take another fairly quickly)
    3. good pic quality
    4. great macro quality
    5. decent telephoto quality
    6. waterproof, dustproof, bombproof, elephant-proof, child-proof, nuclear explosion proof
    7. lens does not extend in and out
    8. only takes 30 minutes to recharge battery and can do this at the inspection if needed

Things I don't like about it:
    1. uses proprietary rechargeable batteries
    2. eats the aforementioned batteries (I have 6 batteries. Depending on the flash, I get anywhere from 45-80 -- but usually 45ish)

I had previously used cameras that took AA batteries. I bought rechargeable AA's (Powerex 2700mAh with a Maha charger). Those batteries can take 150+ pictures and they generally last me 15 months before they finally give up the ghost. I usually kept a rack of 8 batteries charged and with me at all times. I really, really, really like cameras that take AA batteries, but (and alas) I wanted a camera with faster response times and a lens that didn't move in and out. The fact that my Pentax is waterproof/dustproof is icing on the cake.

Bruce

Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

Jeffrey L. Mathis Guest

I can't deal with the expanding lens type cameras. We do 80% crawl spaces. The dust kills the mechanics of the lenses. The bottom of the line Fuji slides open. Good battery life. (I keep 2 on charge in the truck with a small inverter).
    I think I paid $60.00 or maybe $80.00 on line.
    I haven't had a client or realtor yet complain about photo quality. If I lose it or break it-tried to squeeze over a cast iron drainline once-I don't cry. I just reach for the back-up.
    Of course, these days, the battery goes a long way.

JLMathis

Don Burbach Guest

I buy used older digital cameras when I see them used. I try to find ones with a viewfinder to avoid looking at a 2" LCD screen in bright sunlight. My other requirements are AA batteries and SD memory cards which are pretty available. I never pay more than $50, and don't worry as much in crawlspaces or attic, or doing an inspection in the rain.

For batteries I use Harbor Freight, Green 2000 mAh which are many times on sale for $5.99 for pack of 4. I have a fleet of 10 or so that I charge, 4 at a time, and have a few in my pocket or ash-tray for readiness. A set of batteries will last a couple of inspections, but usually I just start out with a fresh set at the beginning of the day.

Yep, I know that perhaps buying 50 battery packs at Costco is an alternative, I buy cheap batteries in the $Dollar store and use them in thermostats if I find a dead thermostat, and then explain to a buyer that he should replace the batteries after the escrow. These batteries also get my camera off its back in a pinch. It's always appreciated that I just didn't not run the HVAC system and added some value to the inspection.

Pentax W-90 and one spare battery.

Usually get 150 - 200 pictures per charge.

Water proof, no extending lens.

about $180.00.

Lasted longer than any other camera I've had, about 18 months so far.

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

Quote Originally Posted by Erby Crofutt View Post
    Pentax W-90 and one spare battery.

Usually get 150 - 200 pictures per charge.

Water proof, no extending lens.

about $180.00.

Lasted longer than any other camera I've had, about 18 months so far.
    OK, what battery are you using? I get nowhere near 150 per charge.

no probs with these for over a year, the products, $s & vendor are right-on
    2* D-Li88 Battery +Charger for Pentax Optio P80 W90 P70 | eBay
    spare in pocket and on car charger

Last edited by BARRY ADAIR; 01-10-2012 at 03:56 PM.
    badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Quote Originally Posted by BARRY ADAIR View Post
    no probs with these for over a year, the products, $s & vendor are right-on
    2* D-Li88 Battery +Charger for Pentax Optio P80 W90 P70 | eBay
    Barry, how many pics do you generally get per charge? I have the charger that came with the camera and I've batteries from various stores.

Maybe my charger isn't charging them to the max.

same as others 150-200
    usually set auto focus 2.1M
    never fully deplete, xchange with spare whenever i happen to notice last bar

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Quote Originally Posted by BARRY ADAIR View Post
    same as others 150-200
    usually set auto focus 2.1M
    never fully deplete, xchange with spare whenever i happen to notice last bar
    very interesting.

I don't always deplete them, but will use them into the yellow. Occasionally into the red.

I use my in P mode. How about you and others?

I change my battery when the camera starts flashing red, or it quits. I carry a spare in camera case on my belt, so its just a few seconds to change out. I don't keep track, but a battery usually lasts for 3 or more inspections, and I take 40 - 75 photos per inspection.

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JB Thompson View Post
    very interesting.

I don't always deplete them, but will use them into the yellow. Occasionally into the red.

I use my in P mode. How about you and others?
    JB,

I'm in same image/battery usage that Barry and Erby are. Using same Optio W90.

Pentax Optio WG-1 is the newer model that has replaced the W90.

Optio WG-1 (Amazon)

My D-Li88 cells are: 1300mAH

I got them through eBay and some very cheap price like about $5 to $10 for four to six of them. I keep a few charged cells in my pocket and swap as needed at HIs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan Kienitz View Post
    JB,

I'm in same image/battery usage that Barry and Erby are. Using same Optio W90.

Pentax Optio WG-1 is the newer model that has replaced the W90.

Optio WG-1 (Amazon)

My D-Li88 cells are: 1300mAH

I got them through eBay and some very cheap price like about $5 to $10 for four to six of them. I keep a few charged cells in my pocket and swap as needed at HIs.
    Nolan,
    I didn't realize you broke down and bought one

I'm wondering if my charger does not fully charge my batteries. I ordered the one Barry sent a link about...we'll see. I'd love to get that many pictures from my batteries.

Bruce

I've been using the Nicon CoolPix for the last 6 years, on the second one now. Cost is $80 range on line, so you don't have to kick the dog if you drop or loose it. The mechanics are strong, have not had a single problem from dust or wear. I have found that the Rayovac platinum AA rechargable batteries have the best life, 100 pic's without a problem, have taken as many as 200. I do turn off the flash for most of the pic's I take to reduce wait time to 1-2 sec. Most of my pics are reference and notes, I will turn on the flash if I know it will be in the report.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JB Thompson View Post
    Nolan,
    I didn't realize you broke down and bought one
    Bruce
    I have two chargers that I use depending upon how many cells I have to charge. One is the original Pentax unit that I use 90% of the time. The other one is some no-name something or other that I got off of eBay.

As for the W90 ... well over a year's use now and love it.

I'm going to get the Optio WG-1 to replace my wife's Nikon (POJunk) or I may take it and give her my W90.

The prices on the WG-1 are down currently and that is a signal that another upgrade may be in the wings for the WG-1.

Typical electronics these days.

Gerald Wilcox Guest

I am very pleased with the Panasonix DM TS2. After dropping a few kodak camera's into water and a couple of hard falls, I purchased this camera and it has worked very well for me. It's fast with no appreciable lag between pics, water, dust, and shock proof. Has excellent zoom and a good battery. The new TS3 is out with GPS and lots of features that I didn't need. You can still get a NIB for around 249.00, maybe less if you look around. DMC-TS2/DMC-FT2 | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global

A 2012 update on my Pentax W90.

So I've been going strong with the W90 for 20 months I like the fact that I can rinse it off when it's dirty and that it slips in/out of my pocket without catching.

However, I started having problems with the batteries (I thought). The camera wouldn't turn on and the batteries seemed to be dead. I had been buying back up batteries and had a cadre of about 8, all different brands, and could still never get more than about 45 shots per battery. (apparently others are getting more shots per battery than I)

So I buy 2 more batteries, but the camera still won't turn on. Then I decide maybe it's the charger. Then I realize, NOPE, it's the camera. Sometimes it turns on as it should. Sometimes it takes 3-5 minutes of playing with it/batteries/shaking it/whatever when I'm desperate.

I called Pentax and asked them if it was a common problem. His exact words were, "Well, I've seen it before." Hmmm....

He couldn't give me a ballpark price of fixing it and they have a $12 charge of giving you a price if you decide not to fix.

So, I'm trying to decide what to do. I did a comparison and see the Lumix TS3 has a very quick recycle time versus the Optio. But the TS3 is $400. I see the brand new TS20 is about $139. Can anyone comment on a TS20?

Bruce

I've got a Canon Powershot G12 and a Panasonic. The Olympus SW830 water proof camera die after a couple of years of hard use.

All the new cameras have too many functions, buttons, and doo-dads on them. All I want besides good optics is a flash on/off control, a zoom control, and a macro control. Ok, I'd take a focus mode control (spot, center, scene). I need fast recovery time and a fast auto-focus. I don't want face focusing, focus tracking, 2310 modes and other snap shot functions.

Any camera lens that zooms or focuses with external lens movement will jamb with dust sooner or later. That can result in burned out motors and/or stripped gears. Stick with internal lens zoom and focus if at all possible.

I was looking at a new Olympus rugged model in June. BUT, spare batteries weren't available until some time in July. No, the camera was so new there weren't any aftermarket batteries listed for it either.

I like the Power shot G12 though kind of expensive. I've already had to send it in for repair under a service contract. The lens and lens mechanics had to be replaced and a circuit board had gotten wet and corroded (inspections in the rain) which caused the camera to lock up.

Sometimes I miss the old point and shoot "Brownies" or "Instamatics"

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Brooks View Post
    Sometimes I miss the old point and shoot "Brownies" or "Instamatics"
    PSST Hey Buddy. Wanna really cool Brownie?
    I have about 20 stored, if you REALLY want one.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    PSST Hey Buddy. Wanna really cool Brownie?
    I have about 20 stored, if you REALLY want one.
    Only the edible chocolate ones with walnuts or pecan pieces. Chocolate icing would be nice too.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA