Default Quoting previous posts in a thread

Is there anyway we can curtail the use of quoting in replies? Is there a need to quote the entire post of someone else in the replies? Quoting an entire post only to reply with one or two sentences is wasteful of bandwidth as is with all the other quoting going on.

Simple discussions do not need to turn into marathon requotes.

Can't think of any excuses as to why requoting entire posts serves any usefulness.

Hey, but what the heck, its not my board.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Quoting previous posts in a thread

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond

Can't think of any excuses as to why requoting entire posts serves any usefulness.
    Sorry ( but had to use Quote Feature. )
    That being said I've been in discussions with other Members & Drive by Posters that Will Change ( or delete ) their previous Statements.) think Lisa .

This Editing of the previous content to manipulate the direction or Facts of the Thread is limited by " Quote. "

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Yes I understand, but there are many discussions taking place where the quotes are between established members which are not prone to change.

The message pane also indicates if a post has been edited after a period of time has lapsed.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Yes I understand
    Good !

The message pane also indicates if a post has been edited after a period of time has lapsed,
    But The Editor has the Option to leave this section blank as to the reason.
    * other than I'm trying to make my position seem better.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

If the post was not fully quoted you get alterations to the posts.

How about the occasion when the OP completely removes the original post and all of their other posts leaving nothing other than their name and a blank posting?

Otherwise it may be just easier to quote the post than to name the person that you are directing your post to, we all get lazy at times. I just figure the mouse wheel was invented for those occasions of long post quotes.

I'm with Raymond. I don't know about you guys, but every page takes a while to download for me, and the less on the page, the faster it is.

Of course, take that a step further and we should stop making useless comments, which would hamper my style considerably.

I've run into situations where I wanted to edit a post, but it had been quoted by someone, so I had no control over it except by asking someone else to edit their post, too.

EDIT: I mean, don't you ever say something you wish you hadn't? And want to take it back? Or realize your post makes no sense whatsoever? I do!

There were a couple things I wanted to remove because of my job fiasco, and they'd been quoted - fortunately by a friend, not a foe.

Last edited by Kristi Silber; 01-05-2012 at 06:01 PM.
    Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristi Silber View Post
    we should stop making useless comments
    Right.
    EDIT: I mean, don't you ever say something you wish you hadn't?

And want to take it back? Or realize your post makes no sense whatsoever?
    I do!
    Nope

See? Now I could remove my whole post, and Billy still has that bit about useless comments, and people could see it and totally take it out of context and everyone would hate me, think I'm talking about them or something and really I'm talking about me, and being silly and and...um...what was the question?

Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

I've run into situations where I wanted to edit a post, but it had been quoted by someone, so I had no control over it except by asking someone else to edit their post, too.
    You could still edit your posts and your original would stand in the quote on the other post.

I do that occasionally but in the reason for the edit, i.e., I write "edited for speelin' ", " "on" should have been "one" ", and things like that. The original wording may still be in a quoted post, but the edited post states what and why it was edited.

But going back and changing your post all around in an edit? I would think it would be better to just quote yourself and them below it in the response restate what you meant to state the first time. That would be a lot better than going back and making major changes without identifying what and why the changes were made.

I would think that for someone who skims through the posts (as someone mentioned above) ... that quoting in a replying post makes it easier to follow which reply goes to which post.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Smile Re: Quoting previous posts in a thread

I agree with others that it's a waste of space. I usually use a cut and paste, or archive some threads, for future reference.

Perhaps that would be a great new feature for someone to create for threads. A "take back feature" that automatically removes all evidence of a post, that one wants to remove - forever and ever!

Perhaps another feature would be one that automatically deletes posts that are off topic, or those that experience "thread drift".

Now let's see how long this post lasts. Perhaps it may soon fall into the same demise.

Oops....it's still there!

I'
    every page takes a while to download for me, and the less on the page, the faster it is.
    Time to Upgrade. Speakeasy - Speed Test

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Kristi,
    Sorry that you are having/had a job fiasco. It really should not have been. If management had a problem all they have to do is say stop and then they should drop it. Your fopa, "...That should be 'faux pas.' ...", was small in relation to other thing that you could have done. You are still learning.

Speed on down loading. You need to move away from the Progresso Soup cans. They only really work that good on TV.

Last edited by Garry Sorrells; 01-06-2012 at 06:33 AM.

Your fopa
    That should be 'faux pas.'

I also didn't realize that some think its important to keep score as to what was said by the other poster for posterity... and does it really matter?

Raymond,
    Thanks for the spelling correction. Brain not turned on.

At times it is not about "...for posterity...." but it can be as part of the discussion that edits occur and posts disappear.

Raymond,
    At times it may be about posterity.
    This is an example of deleted posts that occurred :

Mueller Services Inc. - Insurance Loss Control Surveys

Do over and take backs seem to becoming a norm today.

Those deleted posts were from 2008, though - it's not like it happens every day. Funny, I thought more of the contents was quoted before.

I removed some parts of posts in this and another thread that I thought might possibly be against the rules of M. S. (I don't want to say the whole name, want to make this post hard to search for), although I can't really see how.

Garry, they actually weren't all that bad about my error. They knew I didn't intentionally do something I wasn't supposed to, it's just that I REALLY wasn't supposed to do it - it wasn't a minor faux pas in their eyes. No one had ever posted M. S. pics on the 'net before (as far as they know!), and it freaked them out - the owner called my manager's manager during his vacation! (BTW, the more I heard from my manager and his manager - they both called me - the more probable it seems that Watson dobbed me in.)

I suppose it also surprised them to find a whole bunch of field reps talking to each other, too. I think they wanted to discourage me from hanging out here, but knew they couldn't do that outright.

Sorry Raymond, got way off topic there! This was a handy thread to gossip about what happened, though - they wouldn't think to look here.

- James Burgh, 1754.

Is there anyway we can curtail the use of quoting in replies? Is there a need to quote the entire post of someone else in the replies? Quoting an entire post only to reply with one or two sentences is wasteful of bandwidth as is with all the other quoting going on.

Simple discussions do not need to turn into marathon requotes.

Hey, but what the heck, its not my board.
    What... to much work to move your finger on scroll?

No idea why it is an issue but suppose you could always whack them with SOPA after the 24th of this month.

All About SOPA, the Bill That Wants to Cripple Your Internet Very Soon and by the way just posting that link might get me in trouble in the future if you think about it.

Now Bob, was it necessary to requote what I said?

Besides you need a lesson in geography. I live in Canada. The bill only applies to the states, so don't be lazy yourself check your facts.

Better still why not go back to Nachi forum were anything goes.

Hi Kristi, no need to apologize.

Cheers,

Kristi
    Very glad to hear that management took it in stride. ,

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    ...I would think that for someone who skims through the posts ... that quoting in a replying post makes it easier to follow which reply goes to which post.
    I agree with Jerry. Editing out all the extraneous stuff from a quote that does not apply to ones response saves writing time and does not add any download time since it is text that would have been copy/pasted anyway. It makes it much easier to follow a conversation on a thread IMHO.

Beacon Inspection Services
    Proudly Serving the Greater Henderson and Las Vegas Valley Area in Southern Nevada!
    Like Beacon On Facebook

What you posted makes no sense and I take offense.

(hmmmm, with a quote perhaps you would know who I am referring to)

Now Bob, was it necessary to requote what I said?

Besides you need a lesson in geography. I live in Canada. The bill only applies to the states, so don't be lazy yourself check your facts.

"Better still why not go back to Nachi forum were anything goes".
    I would ask you to go back to the NACHI forum but you can't as this is the only forum you are not kicked out of yet for making stupid out of place comments such as the one "quoted".

I supported your last chance over there but may rescind that.

If you had half a brain you would see how you insult people for no reason instead of crying they hate you for no reason.

Your out of the blue insult makes you look not capable of intelligent conversation.

Now surprise us all and apologize.

Bob posted:

I would ask you to go back to the NACHI forum but you can't as this is the only forum you are not kicked out of yet for making stupid out of place comments such as the one "quoted".
    Kicked out be an association which doesn't have any bylaws, policies let alone a proper functioning so called discipline body? Now that is funny and you obviously don't know any better since you have never belonged to a functioning member driven association.

I supported your last chance over there but may rescind that.
    Really? Where was that I must have missed it.

If you had half a brain you would see how you insult people for no reason instead of crying they hate you for no reason.
    I know I have half a brain, its at least half more in size than yours.

Your out of the blue insult makes you look not capable of intelligent conversation.

Now surprise us all and apologize.
    Intelligent? You preach about US policy provisions on a Canadian, you still need geography lesson. Better still go back to Nachi maybe you can pick up a certificate for geography.

No apology required.

Bob K.

No problem with quoting sentences, its when a several paragraph post is requoted in its entirety. And then the person doing all the requoting only replies with one sentence. And that does take up a lot of space.

See .. I didn't have to requote you in order to discuss the matter.

Ray...see how easy it is to rile you.
    How many quotes did you use (above the last post)?

You still think you have a Canadian section? (that was NACHI)
    I would have accepted your apology but your personality does not allow it .

Have a nice day.

You have a nice day too. Btw I still like you.

Bob K.

No problem with quoting sentences, its when a several paragraph post is requoted in its entirety. And then the person doing all the requoting only replies with one sentence. And that does take up a lot of space.

See .. I didn't have to requote you in order to discuss the matter.
    Yeah, that happens Raymond. However I believe that most do not know HOW to edit out the fluff from a quote in this system or are perhaps just too lazy?

Scrolling down a long thread is the nature of the beast. If it has lots of posts or just lots of long posts the result is the same.

As far as download bandwidth goes, in this day of high speed access the VAST majority have some form of it in order to operate business efficiently. If one does not have it yet it's time to update in order to improve efficiency not only here but in business. I know, there are places where it's not available but again, that's the minority today. As the young technologically advanced folks are so fond of admonishing us old folks with "you have to get over it!" it IS true if we want to stay competitive.

You can quote me on that!

Beacon Inspection Services
    Proudly Serving the Greater Henderson and Las Vegas Valley Area in Southern Nevada!
    Like Beacon On Facebook

Stephen G Guest

I have been here about 2 years, and it wasnt until a few months ago that I noticed the ***reply*** button 3 inches down. hidden under some advertising. Before I found it, I would click on 'quote' and then delete the quote in order to make my post.

now I am 2% smarter

On another forum I belong to the moderators will remove replies that requote the full post. They only allow quoting individual sentences, and even then in moderation.

Stephen G Guest

well Im goin for 4% today. Just found out that Moderators are being used in moderation...

no quotes required = nqr