Thread: gypsy palaces

Default gypsy palaces

I photographed these alongside the road in Transylvania. They were built by the heads of gypsy clans, or tribes, or whatever, as status symbols. No one lives in them. I'm not even sure if they have utilities. And I know I wouldn't want to inspect one!

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Default Re: gypsy palaces

Ok, on a different photo I see a tv dish on the front of one of the palaces, so maybe someone does in live them. Or maybe the dish is a status symbol! I was told they build them and then live out back in a trailer or shed.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)

WOW what a roof line. Sounds like you had an interesting trip. Lets see some more pics.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    I photographed these alongside the road in Transylvania. And I know I wouldn't want to inspect one!
    John,

We call these inspections drive bys.

I looked at all of your posts and hope you are enjoying yourself.

Thanks for a bit of culture.

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

More pics from Romania can be seen at Flickr: Photos from blarfman

David Banks Guest

That roof looks like Chinese influence. John would you recommend Romania for vacation. Are they friendly to Americans?

Last edited by David Banks; 08-19-2007 at 07:51 AM.

David - Most Romanians are very friendly to Americans. I would recommend traveling there for certain people. It's not for everyone - a little rough around the edges. But it's a fascinating country with beautiful countryside, especially in the mountains, where they still have large brown bears, wolves, and wild boar.
    The best place we stayed was called the Inn on Balaban, in the Transylvanian Alps, aka southern Carpathian mountains. There's a photo of the inn at
    Flickr: Photos from blarfman and here's a couple more. It is new and has very modern bathrooms and comfortable bedrooms.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Kevin VanderWarf Guest

We have gypsy homes in our area, not quite that fancy. They do live in them but what I've heard is that they put foil on all the windows and wait a year or so before moving in. It's got something to with evil spirits.

Charles Sessums Guest

Romania IS a country with lots to see. But as John stated it is rough. Hungary on the other hand has one of the EURO vacation spots. Lake Balatone! If you go in the off season everything is dirt dirt cheap and peaceful.