mathew stouffer Guest

Default Screen in jets of furnace

I have never seen this before. There was 1/8 pieces of screen in the jets of this 80 percent furnace. Manufactured in 1993.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

James Duffin Guest

Default Re: Screen in jets of furnace

That screen look like the ignitor on a garage gas space heater I have. Are they by chance the ignitor for the gas furnace? or maybe bug guards?

It's been a while since I've seen these and as I recall these screens did not turn out to be a useful idea. I don't remember what their purpose was but if my memory is right I believe that they can be removed without affecting the furnace's operation.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    I have never seen this before. There was 1/8 pieces of screen in the jets of this 80 percent furnace. Manufactured in 1993.
    Matthew,

I see those relatively often. I always assumed that they served the same purpose as the NOX rods of some earlier furnaces. If you don't know what they are, then you can always say so and defer. I would never recommend removal. Let a heating contractor do that.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Just a guess, but perhaps they are there to cause some turbulence and better mixing of gas and air for better combustion. Been away from the HVAC trade too long to remember.

mathew stouffer Guest

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Saville View Post
    Just a guess, but perhaps they are there to cause some turbulence and better mixing of gas and air for better combustion. Been away from the HVAC trade too long to remember.
    That would be my guess. At one time the "high performance" gas heaters and water heaters used turbulators to help efficiency. My guess is that they were later discarded because of the possibility of plugging the chamber.