Thread: Crack on stucco

Default Crack on stucco

Hi Guys

This is the 1997 DH in Vancouver BC. I believe it might never be painted ever since. Although hairline crack is not unusual on stucco, I really do not feel comfortable with this one. A few questions:

1. This should be conventional stucco. Is it only a decorative horizontal line in the middle of the wall or the control joints which should not be necessary?

2. The cracks under the roof/wall intersection are worse. Possibly the upper downspout & failed gutter drain plane are the culprit but I can not tell if the water ingress happened. I ask them to extend the upper downspout & add kickout on the roof/wall flashing. Will these solve the problem after they fix & repaint wall? Actually I do not know how to add kick out on the tile roof. I only saw it on asphalt.

3. What can cause the stain under the soffit? gutter leaking?

4. By any chance anybody knows when did the rain screen practice get mandatory in BC Canada? I heard it was from 2000 since the face sealed stucco had too much trouble in BC.

5. Once I see the soft joints on stucco wall, is it a judgement of EFIS stucco?

Any input appreciated

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Peter Louis; 01-12-2012 at 09:18 AM.
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Crack on stucco

I'd say you have some serious water management issues. In picture three showing the upper eaves, there appears to be no gutter unless is built in like the lower. The staining of the fascia shows leakage. Regardless the lack of gutter(s) and/or clogged gutters.

Spillage of water against foundation and walls.

Further the downspout discharging from the upper roof should have a extension on the downspout to the lower gutter.

Sure looks like water intrusion from here.

Is this hard coat Portland cement stucco over wood frame?
    Did you see any flashing on the sidewalls along the roof?
    Did you "knock" on any of those stained, cracked sections? Are they loose?
    Were there any stucco weep screeds present?
    Did you scan the interior walls for moisture?

Dom.

Talking Re: Crack on stucco

It always amazes me how the small inexpensive things can save thousands of dollars. Proper kickout flashing, drip edge and gutter design could have prevented all of the water damage. I don't know about the expansion joints without more snooping, it could be they covered them. The best way to determine if it is EIFS is at the bottom near the foundation, most of the time you can see the foam board and fiberglass mesh. EIFS is also much thicker than one coat and will sound hollow and much softer when knocked or pressed on. If it is EIFS I would pay particular attention to the areas around and below windows at interior for water penetration.

Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Louis View Post
    Hi Guys

This is the 1997 DH in Vancouver BC. I believe it might never be painted ever since. Although hairline crack is not unusual on stucco, I really do not feel comfortable with this one. A few questions:

1. This should be conventional stucco. Is it only a decorative horizontal line in the middle of the wall or the control joints which should not be necessary?

2. The cracks under the roof/wall intersection are worse. Possibly the upper downspout & failed gutter drain plane are the culprit but I can not tell if the water ingress happened. I ask them to extend the upper downspout & add kickout on the roof/wall flashing. Will these solve the problem after they fix & repaint wall? Actually I do not know how to add kick out on the tile roof. I only saw it on asphalt.

3. What can cause the stain under the soffit? gutter leaking?

4. By any chance anybody knows when did the rain screen practice get mandatory in BC Canada? I heard it was from 2000 since the face sealed stucco had too much trouble in BC.

5. Once I see the soft joints on stucco wall, is it a judgement of EFIS stucco?

Any input appreciated
    The house has significant water entry and damage. Probably more in areas you didn't or couldn't see. Recommend destructive inspection to determine the extent of concealed damage and complete inspection of the siding application by a qualified inspector or contractor.

Hello Peter. For your own protection, I suggest you delete pics of the whole house, unless you have permission from the owners to post here. The built-in gutters are leaking.

Control or expansion joints are not an indicator of EIFS. EIFs stands for external insulation blah blah.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

John,
    Remove pict? The exterior of a house does not have any expressed intention of privacy. It is in the public domain. Interior pictures may be another issue. Comment is by way of just a thought in passing. There is another thread dealing with pictures owned by the company that the inspector was working for.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    John,
    Remove pict? The exterior of a house does not have any expressed intention of privacy. It is in the public domain. Interior pictures may be another issue. Comment is by way of just a thought in passing. There is another thread dealing with pictures owned by the company that the inspector was working for.
    Nope. I know Peter is just learning. If the house is for sale, don't post recognizable pics here. That is all that is about.

www.allsafehome.ca

Curious to know; what is the difference posting pictures when you can get a google street view, and/or go to MLS and get a listing with pictures of interior and exterior and in some cases listings with the address?

Home listings, house listings in Georgetown region, Ontario

The first pic is not important & removed anyway.

I knew this is not EFIS. The Joint is not expansion joint. It could be control joint but really not necessary I believe.

I am trying to find a creteria that once a soft expansion joint found it is EFIS although some others can prove.

Hi, Peter (et ALL) &

What's that address ?

Wouldn't mind a drive-by (willl be away Sun. 15th - Thurs. 26th, however) if I can fit that in...

Just from the age & appearance /pics, looks like a LEAKER, for sure & only time will tell how bad.

CHEERS

-Glenn Duxbury, CHI

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Curious to know; what is the difference posting pictures when you can get a google street view, and/or go to MLS and get a listing with pictures of interior and exterior and in some cases listings with the address?

Home listings, house listings in Georgetown region, Ontario
    Everybody just do what they want. Post recognizable pics here and we will rip the places apart for free.

www.allsafehome.ca

Thank you all guys input.

As John said I kept Learning. A few thought after the first year of my inspection.

1. It is very important to a good inspector knowing how to address the issue to clients while most inspectors can find issues.

2. Even the good & experienced inspectors they might address the same problems in very different ways.

3. this is a risky job.

Thank you all guys input.

As John said I kept Learning. A few thought after the first year of my inspection.

1. It is very important to a good inspector knowing how to address the issue to clients while most inspectors can find issues.

2. Even the good & experienced inspectors they might address the same problems in very different ways.

3. this is a risky job.
    Here's another thought...Get IR.
    BTW, congrats on making it through your first year.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    Thank you Marc

I caught the rush tail in BC last year. We started slowing down after Stanley Cup riot till now

IR is apparent. But my thought is almost all houses have some issues especially resales. How to address the problems is important. Let the clients know to keep the property maintained is important.

Thank you Marc

I caught the rush tail in BC last year. We started slowing down after Stanley Cup riot till now

IR is apparent. But my thought is almost all houses have some issues especially resales. How to address the problems is important. Let the clients know to keep the property maintained is important.
    Riots? What the heck?

Riots? What the heck?

Well, it seems nobody cares about Vancouver, Canada. We are a tiny place in a small country except the large territory.

GOOGLE Vancouver Hockey roit, I believe you can easily watch it on youtube.