Jim Branson Guest

Unhappy Question from Home Owner - Exterior Weep Holes for windows

The builder of the house apparently made the brick ledge outside my windows such that water does not fall away from the window but actually seeps back in. We have had water damage on the inside of the windows where the water has gotten up into the wood in the same areas of a couple of windows three times. We have repaired the wood, professionally re-chalked, but it keeps returning. The last home inspector we had made a suggestion that we drill weep holes into the brick to make up for the fact that the brick ledge does not have enough slant.

How exactly do I do that? Drill in the mortar between each brick?

An exasperated home owner appreciates your help.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Question from Home Owner - Exterior Weep Holes for windows

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Branson View Post
    The builder of the house apparently made the brick ledge outside my windows such that water does not fall away from the window but actually seeps back in. We have had water damage on the inside of the windows where the water has gotten up into the wood in the same areas of a couple of windows three times. We have repaired the wood, professionally re-chalked, but it keeps returning. The last home inspector we had made a suggestion that we drill weep holes into the brick to make up for the fact that the brick ledge does not have enough slant.

How exactly do I do that? Drill in the mortar between each brick?

An exasperated home owner appreciates your help.
    Drill weep holes? Sounds like it is time to tear out the brick around the windows and make them so water drains away. Not a quick and easy fix. FYI, adding weep holes could make the problem worse!

Last year I was called in on a home that had solid precast sills that sloped back towards the home. It took who knows how many folks with all types of suggestion that never worked. The solution was to tear out and start from the begining.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Default Re: Question from Home Owner - Exterior Weep Holes for windows

Scott is definitely right on his suggestions. Without actually being there to look at the wall and know what the configuration is behind the face layer of brick, weep holes could make the situation worse.
    I've dealt with so many clients over the years that don't want to hear bad news. People tend to want a quick, easy, cheap fix. Having seen what you describe it is unlikely there is a cheap, easy fix. Sure you could keep re caulking, sure you could cap the top of the stone with color similar aluminum capping installed at an angle for run-off, sure you could install weeps. There are lots of things you could do that will work better or worse, shorter or longer.
    Bite the bullet. A good bricky should be able to get most of the stones out without damage. You may need to take out 2-3 courses of brick or 8-10. Depends on what you find when the stone comes out. Without additional problems a good bricky should be able to do 2-3 openings a day.
    Beyond that, the amount of water you are indicating seems a bit odd for just back pitched sills; especially since you've caulked repeatedly. I would recommend looking into whether or not at least some of the water is coming from the top down. Getting a thermal imaging guy in on this one might be helpful.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"