Default What would you say?

What would you say about this j-box. 74 year old home. Upgraded non-professionally installed wiring throughout home. Numerous j-boxes in basement, loose/hanging wiring, 20 amp wiring used no matter the breaker rating, toilet and wall in front of panel, etc...

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: What would you say?

Over-filled, improper installation

But with all you mention I don't know that I'd be picking apart the system one piece at a time. When it gets bad I recommend the entire system be evaluated and give some pictures and descriptions as examples.

While explaining all the problems with the electrical and that the entire system should be evaluated, the buyers friend, a licensed electrican, showed up. While I was upstairs I heard the electrican say, with all the new wiring he saw no problem. He stated "all these guys do is find the worst case scenario".

Robert Meier Guest

Before you can say that the box is over filled wouldn't you need to do a box calculation?

What size OCPD were they using on the #12 conductors?

The bottom box can hold 13 #12's and the extension can hold another 9 #12's. This would be 22 #12s. Assuming the old cables are #12 the box is holding 21 #12s.

The only issue appears to be the cables may not be secured within the proper distance. They may be secured out of the scope of the picture.

Last edited by Jim Port; 01-09-2012 at 08:08 PM.
    All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

I did not believe the boxes were overfilled, I was concerned about all the splicing and are the circuits exceeding their rating. I have attached a few more pictures.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Going back to my first picture, there are 10 cables entering the box. If the BX cables add up to 10 and the romex is 15, would that now exceed the number of wires allowed?

You have 5 12-2 NM cables = 11 conductors.

Ground only counts as one, regardless of the number.

Last edited by Jim Port; 01-09-2012 at 08:09 PM.
    All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Robert Meier Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Roshak View Post
    I did not believe the boxes were overfilled, I was concerned about all the splicing and are the circuits exceeding their rating. I have attached a few more pictures.
    After seeing those other photo's that possibly overfilled box is the least of your problems.

Talking Re: What would you say?

a guy could write a short story with those pictures if he knew what he was looking at