Default What is this for?

Female, generator receptacle type plug with a conduit feeding into the meter. My thought was to feed electricity from a solar system through the meter but that's just a WAG. I felt a little better as Mr. Client was an electrician and didn't know either.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: What is this for?

Well, it's either someones RV receptacle or a plug to backfeed a generator to the whole house. As I'm sure you know, it's got to go.

James Duffin Guest

Looks like a good way to get free power....

That is a generator inlet. It functions as an interlock. As long as it is approved by the power company there is no reason for it to go.

You are putting power into the system, not getting free power out.

Global Power

From the site.

Global Power Products introduces the GenerLink -- a portable generator interconnection device that is safe for homeowners and line crews. GenerLink is a small collar installed on your electric meter that allows you to easily connect a small generator to your home or office during power emergencies. With GenerLink, you simply plug in the generator and use your household or main circuit panel to select the the appliances you want to operate, based on the generator capacity.

GenerLink protects your line crews by automatically disconnecting a customer's home from the utility distribution system when it detects that a portable generator is plugged in and operating. GenerLink is easily installed by your meter installers in less than 30 minutes

Last edited by Jim Port; 01-09-2012 at 06:54 PM. Reason: added link
    All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Robert Meier Guest

Looks like one of these for a generator hookup.

Global Power

Stephen G Guest

Thumbs up Re: What is this for?

Wow, I just saw one of those yesterday for the first time as well. Costs the about same as having a transfer panel installed. Up here you gotta call the hydro boys to assist in the install. I think its a great idea. It also kick out the generator power when shore power returns. No reverse feeding max 30 amps

These are typically only provided by the utility company.

Robert Meier Guest

Given the number of people who bought portable generators after the two big storms we had last year I think that they're a great idea. Without them most portable generators are illegally and dangerously rigged when the power goes out.