clark Fluegel Guest

Default Hello, new here. I have a question.

Hello everyone and thanks in advanced for any advice.

I'm currently working on purchasing land 20 miles north of Lake Okeechobee, Fl. I'm buying 3 acres and want to build a small cabin/house for my wife, son and I to live in.

My question is in regards to building codes ect.
    I want to build something for very little money, maybe around 5 grand. No kitchen, bathroom or electrical system. I was looking into a post and beam style foundation for the obvious financial saving. What codes/requirements do I need to know about? Also, what kind of building materials are best for central florida? I plan on using a white metal roof with solar panels and a passive water heater to reduce heat that makes it into the cabin. I had an idea about using cinder blocks for the walls ect and painting them but I'm unaware about the building codes in regards to this.

Any info would be great, or just some useful links. Thanks again.
    Clark

Inspection Referral

Default Re: Hello, new here. I have a question.

The Florida Building Code requires more than you propose for a dwelling. Any permitted structure will require plans (stamped by appropriate entities) to start with, and a certain number of features and components.

Honestly, 5K will only get you a large garden shed on a slab, or maybe a used mobile home, but even those have requirements that need to be met by County and/or City Building Departments.

Here are the current Codes for Florida.
    It is quite detailed.

Dom.

Quote Originally Posted by clark Fluegel View Post
    I'm currently working on purchasing land 20 miles north of Lake Okeechobee, Fl. I'm buying 3 acres and want to build a small cabin/house for my wife, son and I to live in.
    Every dwelling is required to have a potable water supply system (drinking water), a sewage system to remove wastes in a sanitary manner, and electrical system with a minimum of 100 amps, and a heating system capable of maintaining a minimum of 68 degrees in each habitable room.

The code also has specific minimum sizes for bedrooms, and with the bedrooms you would need smoke detectors, and possibly combination smoke/co detectors.

There are many, many, minimums you would need to have, and as Dom said, $5k would not get you even close.

If you are inside the city limits of Okeechobee, contact their building department, if you are outside the city limits, contact the building department in either Okeechobee County, Martin County, or Glades County, depending on which your property is in.

They will tell you what the minimum requirements will be (and they should all be the same as I doubt any of them have additional requirements in zoning which would be in addition to the Florida Building Codes).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

clark Fluegel Guest

Thanks for the reply.

So, are you saying, that building a low cost structure is out of the question? I have to have a bathroom? I can't use an outhouse? I have to have a kitchen ect? Just a little confused. I don't/won't have the credit/cash/income to build anything costing more than 20 grand, and even then I'm sure I won't ever have 20,000$. With family helping, I may have up to 10 grand to build, but thats still up in the air.

My plan is to live off the grid so to speak, I do not want to pay rent/mortgage/utilities for the rest of my life.

As for completing the work, I won't need to hire anyone. My father has built many homes for us and I have done almost every trade out there.

If my hippie ideas aren't welcome, I understand. I plan on living without income and raising all my food...but some people HAVE to have huge homes with fancy counter tops, floors ect. I would sleep in a tent for all I care, but the wife and kid wouldn't go for it, lol.

clark Fluegel Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Every dwelling is required to have a potable water supply system (drinking water), a sewage system to remove wastes in a sanitary manner, and electrical system with a minimum of 100 amps, and a heating system capable of maintaining a minimum of 68 degrees in each habitable room.
    I'm a little confused, why would a furnace be required in south florida? Same with an electrical system. I plan on using solar panels. But isn't a fancy electrical system just a luxury? I'll drill a well for water, but I'm not going to plumb a tiny home. I would just use an outhouse and compost the waste.

So, are you saying, that building a low cost structure is out of the question?

No, it's just very, very, very difficult to meet Florida Code for the dollars you propose.

I have to have a bathroom?

Yes.

I can't use an outhouse?

Only if it connects to a septic system or municipal sewer system and has potable water.

I'm a little confused, why would a furnace be required in south florida?
    You need an approved heat source.

My plan is to live off the grid so to speak, I do not want to pay rent/mortgage/utilities for the rest of my life.

And you can do that, but you may have to choose a different location. There are about a dozen States with no building codes, and many, many rural areas of the US that don't have them.

Unfortunately, Florida isn't one of them.

Dom.

clark Fluegel Guest

Are composting toilets allowed? I'm guessing not. As for heat source, does it need to be a furnace, or is a wood stove an option?

James Duffin Guest

I'm a little confused, why would a furnace be required in south florida? Same with an electrical system. I plan on using solar panels. But isn't a fancy electrical system just a luxury? I'll drill a well for water, but I'm not going to plumb a tiny home. I would just use an outhouse and compost the waste.
    If you have a well drilled you have spent your $5000. And if you install a solar system for power you have spent another $5000. Being self sufficient ain't cheap if you have any modern conveniences.

clark Fluegel Guest

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    If you have a well drilled you have spent your $5000. And if you install a solar system for power you have spent another $5000. Being self sufficient ain't cheap if you have any modern conveniences.
    Solar and the well are not included in that budget. I was already quoted 1800$ for the well on the property.

As for modern conveniences, I don't want anything to do with them. Just more distraction.

Another bit of info, this property is in a rural area. Not within city limits.

So, are you saying, that building a low cost structure is out of the question?
    "low cost" is in the eye of the beholder, but not what you stated.

"I have to have a bathroom?" Yes.

"I can't use an outhouse?" Nope, no outhouse.

"I have to have a kitchen ect?" Yes.

"My plan is to live off the grid so to speak, I do not want to pay rent/mortgage/utilities for the rest of my life." You can "live off the grid" so to speak, but you have to at least have the minimum state required systems. I.e, you could produce your own electricity, albeit that is typically not economical. You could have your own well, but the house would be required to have running water at no less than 40psi and no greater than 80 psi. You could have your own septic system, but the house would be required to have at least one bathroom.

"I would sleep in a tent for all I care, but the wife and kid wouldn't go for it, lol." Neither would DCF (Department of Children and Families).

I am sure there are many people in the uninhabited areas of Florida living like you describe, and doing so for years before they are stumbled upon or caught doing so. You would not like the outcomes of what happens when families are taken apart as the state's idea of suitable living standards for children is vastly different than your's.

As I said, I would recommend contacting the local AHJ (the building department) and finding out what they will allow.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Another bit of info, this property is in a rural area. Not within city limits.
    Doesn't matter where the house is located, the same building code is applicable all across Florida.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

clark Fluegel Guest

"I would sleep in a tent for all I care, but the wife and kid wouldn't go for it, lol." Neither would DCF (Department of Children and Families)."

Oh come on, don't try and make me sound like I don't give a **** about where my family sleeps. I'm simply saying our society has been brainwashed into thinking we need much much more than we actually do. I, by myself, would live in a tent the rest of my life if I could.

"I am sure there are many people in the uninhabited areas of Florida living like you describe, and doing so for years before they are stumbled upon or caught doing so. You would not like the outcomes of what happens when families are taken apart as the state's idea of suitable living standards for children is vastly different than your's.."

I'm fully aware of the states idea of suitable conditions, i've seen it all plumbing rehab jobs in the projects of disgusting Detroit. The state DOES NOT care about the safety or well being of children. These people live in the worst condition, worse than prisons. Alllll paid for by the state. Anything I would build with or without the states over seeing eyes would be 100x better than what so many live in already. Its not hard to see many building codes are only set it place for certain parties to make money on.

Before people freak out. I understand how the system works, and I may be a rebel, but I'm not about to start building a domicile with out proper permits ect. To be honest, I am totally blown back by the standards in florida, having visited there so many times as a kid. I really want to live in the state, but I'm not going to be a wage slave zombie any more. I want to live a fruitful and rewarding life. On my terms. Hmmmm, how can I make it work?

I'm going to go ahead and ask some more questions, no pressure.

If I buy an RV for temp housing, is that allowed? I'll check the county website.

What about multiple families? I would love to start a commune and be able to work hard with people I enjoy being around.

Thanks for the replies.

About twelve years ago my sister built a straw bale house in Colorado. It was totally off the grid; she had no solar panels, no plumbing, no heat. She got her water from a friend's house by driving over with a plastic cistern in the bed of her truck. The facilities were... primitive (toilet seat on a garbage can). She had a wood stove for heat and kerosene lanterns for light. Dirt floor. She had no permits or plans and kind of "threw it together". I have no idea what it cost her. Somehow it managed to stay up and she was quite happy there. Eventually she bought a composting toilet, but only because we gave her the money for one after we visited and couldn't bring ourselves to use the "facilities".
    She told us that Colorado looked the other way when someone built a home entirely off the grid. I could never live in a house like that, but I'm sure many people would consider it perfectly fine. More power to them. Humans survived for thousands of years without central heat and plumbing (although, granted, the lack of those did lead to some nasty diseases).
    Part of the role of building codes, rules and permits are to promote the "public safety." Having an unpermitted outhouse could lead to contamination of the public water supply due to runoff and other issues.

Welmoed Sisson
    Inspections by Bob, LLC, Boyds, MD
    "Given sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

"I would sleep in a tent for all I care, but the wife and kid wouldn't go for it, lol." Neither would DCF (Department of Children and Families)."

Oh come on, don't try and make me sound like I don't give a **** about where my family sleeps. I'm simply saying our society has been brainwashed into thinking we need much much more than we actually do. I, by myself, would live in a tent the rest of my life if I could.

I am not making you sound like that.

I am simply pointing out what the state accepted minimum requirements are, and you are not accepting them.

Whether or not you think "our society has been brainwashed into thinking we need much much more than we actually do" and that you could "live in a tent the rest of my life if I could", that has nothing to do with the minimum standards our society has established.

I can tell that you do not like hearing the truth, but what I am telling you, and what Dom has told you, and what others will tell you, is that the society which you seem to dislike HAS established certain minimum standards and that the society which you seem to dislike HAS taken steps to make sure that those minimum standards are applied.

YOU may not care, your wife may not care (but that should be up to her, not you), but your kids are not old enough to decide what standard they want for themselves - another thing that society which you seem to dislike understands and has established a minimum age for them to have a say in what they want.

I understand how the system works, and I may be a rebel, but I'm not about to start building a domicile with out proper permits ect. To be honest, I am totally blown back by the standards in florida, having visited there so many times as a kid. I really want to live in the state, but I'm not going to be a wage slave zombie any more. I want to live a fruitful and rewarding life. On my terms. Hmmmm, how can I make it work?
    That has already been asked and answered above - you would need to at least meet the minimum standards.

If I buy an RV for temp housing, is that allowed? I'll check the county website.
    Depends on the county, but in Okeechobee County that may be acceptable for temporary housing, there may be a limit on the number of people in the RV.

What about multiple families? I would love to start a commune and be able to work hard with people I enjoy being around.
    Again, the only real answer will be from the county, call them.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

James Duffin Guest

"I am sure there are many people in the uninhabited areas of Florida living like you describe, and doing so for years before they are stumbled upon or caught doing so. You would not like the outcomes of what happens when families are taken apart as the state's idea of suitable living standards for children is vastly different than your's.."

I'm fully aware of the states idea of suitable conditions, i've seen it all plumbing rehab jobs in the projects of disgusting Detroit. The state DOES NOT care about the safety or well being of children. These people live in the worst condition, worse than prisons. Alllll paid for by the state. Anything I would build with or without the states over seeing eyes would be 100x better than what so many live in already. Its not hard to see many building codes are only set it place for certain parties to make money on.

Before people freak out. I understand how the system works, and I may be a rebel, but I'm not about to start building a domicile with out proper permits ect. To be honest, I am totally blown back by the standards in florida, having visited there so many times as a kid. I really want to live in the state, but I'm not going to be a wage slave zombie any more. I want to live a fruitful and rewarding life. On my terms. Hmmmm, how can I make it work?

I'm going to go ahead and ask some more questions, no pressure.

Thanks for the replies.
    Any angle you can try is that if the state considers you homeless you should be able to live in about any structure or vehicle you can come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    Any angle you can try is that if the state considers you homeless you should be able to live in about any structure or vehicle you can come up with.
    But not on land he owns ... not as a homeless person.

The society he seems to despise and is running from will be asked to come to his assistance for food and shelter for him and his family ... is that hilarious or what?

Only in this great country of our!

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

For $5K-$10K you could probably get a used trailer - single or double wide towed onto the property. If it is resting on a chassis with wheels then building codes would not likely apply. You probably couldn't build a shelter for the money and self-contained facilities a trailer would provide - and few, if any, building codes to comply with. Other codes/regulations may be applicable, however.

clark Fluegel Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post

The society he seems to despise and is running from will be asked to come to his assistance for food and shelter for him and his family ... is that hilarious or what?

And what makes you think I'll need to ask anybody for assistance? People must only eat when they work a 9-5 and buy their groceries at walmart? Don't tell me you "educated" inspectors haven't heard of genetically modified food? You might even think fluoride is great to drink up on a daily basis.

The last thing I want is help from a government I "despise". I'll be leaving a prevailing wage job in Michigan making 45-65$ an hour. But I would rather work twice as much for half as much if It means I work for myself.

I simply want to start my own little farm, take the risks my self and reap the benefits . Not give half my income to the state/feds so crack/alcohol addicts can receive their check every month.

Another thing, I can only laugh at the fact that you people think this once great country is anything but a shell of what it was.

Clark,

You came here for answers to your questions, and you were given lots of data. Where you build and live is your business, but you asked for the rules here in Florida, and they were givien to you. Re-read them if necessary.

If you're leaving a job that pays $45-$60/hour and moving to Florida, you'll be shockingly disappointed, and very quickly at that.

Good luck,

Dom.

James Duffin Guest

Another thing, I can only laugh at the fact that you people think this once great country is anything but a shell of what it was.
    And moving to Fl is going to change that for you how? I did what you want to do sorta. I bought 5 acres and a 20 year old used mobile home. I put in a well and septic system and lived in the trailer for two years while my wife and I built a house. By built I mean we did 90% of the work ourselves. After about five years it was all paid for and we haven't had a house payment for over 26 years. We do have to pay property tax and for power and gas. I burnt wood for heat for about four years and decided I will rather work for the money to buy gas than cut and split wood. I understand what you want to do but starting at zero is not a good idea if you can help it..... in my opinion.

My favorite magazine in the 70's and 80's was Mother Earth News. See if you can find some old copies to read when you have the time. They will make you think you can make soap out of old tin cans and sawdust!

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

You're only acquring THREE ACRES? Yourself, Wife, and at least one child? If you think you can be self sustaining and self contained on less than one mere acre per person, you're dreaming! (and all this with no sanitary!).

Calling three acres a farm is more than a stretch, let alone your dreams of creating a commune (= more people) on same.

An illicit (grow) Op will be discovered - only a matter of time.

If you dislike this country so much you are welcome to leave - one of the great things about this country...don't let the door hit you on the backside as you depart .

And what makes you think I'll need to ask anybody for assistance? People must only eat when they work a 9-5 and buy their groceries at walmart? Don't tell me you "educated" inspectors haven't heard of genetically modified food? You might even think fluoride is great to drink up on a daily basis.

The last thing I want is help from a government I "despise". I'll be leaving a prevailing wage job in Michigan making 45-65$ an hour. But I would rather work twice as much for half as much if It means I work for myself.

I simply want to start my own little farm, take the risks my self and reap the benefits . Not give half my income to the state/feds so crack/alcohol addicts can receive their check every month.

Clark, sure, this country was great at one time. We were prosperous, marriage was between one man and one woman, and kids always obeyed their parents. Unless you were black or native american or poor that is, 'cause if you were then life was probably pretty f*cked for you.

Unless you are fairly well off and too stupid to hire a tax attorney, you're not paying half of your income in taxes. Sure, your taxes occasionally go to someone milking the system, but there are also hard working people out there who have caught a raw deal and for whom our social safety nets are the difference between being on the street and being able to barely scrape by. I understand some are willing to sacrifice the latter to avoid paying for the former, but unless the system is shot through and through with corruption I'm willing to tolerate a little bit of the former. Sure, Medicare has a 5% fraud rate, but I'm glad it was there for my grandmother when she developed breast cancer. And for every woman hiding their live-in boyfriend's clothes under the bed to continue getting Section 8 vouchers, there are five like my sister, a single mom and US Army vet struggling to make ends meet in a crappy economy.

But hey, I get it. You just wanna keep your money and f*ck everyone else in this society (including my sister who only made about $12/hr fighting GWB's wars) that made it possible to even be paid $45-65/hr. Personally I think your anger is misdirected, but whatever.

You need to look into the Tiny House movement. They're all about building very small houses on trailer frames to skirt building codes. It's not that they don't care about safety, it's just that some of the requirements assume a dwelling of a certain size/type and therefore end up requiring a dwelling of that size. I mean, really, I don't need a 70sf bedroom, I just need it to be large enough for sleeping, which means my double mattress and perhaps an 18" space next to it. And who needs two dedicated 20A circuits in a kitchen that measures 3ft x 4ft?

The Tiny House designs accomplish this by relying on loft beds with the living space beneath them. They're very efficient in the space the use, but some of that efficiency comes at a slightly higher cost. If you can find reclaimed materials you might be able to save somewhat on the cost, but you're probably looking at $20-40k for a dwelling that accommodates you, your wife, and kids. One benefit, though, is that if you end up not liking Florida's politics you can just hitch up your house and move.

By the way, all of the food you eat is genetically modified. In fact, you yourself are genetically modified. Scientific literacy can do wonders for eradicating irrational fear; then again it would probably just supplant it with rational fear (hear about the new TB strain? that should scare the sh*t out of everyone).

And what makes you think I'll need to ask anybody for assistance?
    Clark,

That is WHY I quoted the person I was replying to ... so everyone would know WHO I was replying to.

If you go back and re-read my post, and the quote in my post, I am pretty sure that you will figure out that my reply was not directed to you.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

The second video is informative: Home - Simple Solar Homesteading

Clark,
    Have you looked into Alaska ?
    Alaska's back country will take you off the grid and away from all those pesky building requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Clark,
    Have you looked into Alaska ?
    Alaska's back country will take you off the grid and away from all those pesky building requirements.
    Just be ready to deal with the pesky bears and wolves that will come calling.

But the real nice part of the Alaska deal is the generous Permanent Fund check* you and each member of your family gets every year--the State happily sends you "free" money just for being there . . . . . . but wait, you don't want any government hand outs, so I guess you could send the checks back, or maybe give them to a neighbor.

* When I worked a State-wide inspection job up there a few years back, I lived in my truck camper at various trailer/RV parks. A guy with a beat up single-wide in the space behind mine in Anchorage had 9 kids and a wife crammed into the trailer, and he told me they collected just under $18,000 that year.

Jeffrey L. Mathis Guest

Hey man, just do it. Either you'll get caught or not. That has become beside the point as this thread went on. You're Randy Weaver mentality will be what gets you in trouble before your bad diet and increased risk of disease (that you'll end up having us pay for). I sort of did it for a while. The commune thing too. It reads better in a book than it lives.

JLMathis

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey L. Mathis View Post
    Hey man, just do it. Either you'll get caught or not. That has become beside the point as this thread went on. You're Randy Weaver mentality will be what gets you in trouble before your bad diet and increased risk of disease (that you'll end up having us pay for).
    Kinda like helmet laws. Everyone's against them until they're the first responder scraping up brains off the pavement.

I sort of did it for a while. The commune thing too. It reads better in a book than it lives.
    Looks like you were doing it wrong. You need to be the most charismatic person in the commune for it to work out well. That way you get to be the guy schtupping all the women in the group. If you mix in a bit of religion with it you can even get the rest of the poor saps to pay for your lifestyle. Maybe you should try it again.

Jeffrey L. Mathis Guest

That's where I went wrong! Too late now.
    Plus flush toilets are really nice.

JLMathis

Hummm......why doesTed Kaczynski comes to my mind.

Galen L. Beasley
    Inspections Supervisor
    Housing Authority of Kansas City MO

I saw part of this on PBS and was impressed with Dick Proenneke. Watch the clip at this link: Alone in the Wilderness, DVD and VHS available, the story of Dick Proenneke

Hank,
    It was a real interesting series. I viewed it and would highly recommend it.

His comments that the cabin warmed up to a comfortable 40 degrees was very interesting perspective.

Five Acres and Independence: A Handbook for Small Farm Management [Paperback]

Maurice G. Kains (Author), J. E. Oldfield (Introduction)

The Fifty Dollar and Up Underground House Book by Mike Oehler and Chris Royer (Dec 1, 1981)

I had a dream...for a while of living off grid. These two books will help you see two extremes. $50 guy basically built a log cabin underground in a state/fed park and hid out. Illegally poached/hunted and lived off the land. Subsistence living.

The other book teaches you how to layout 5 acres so that you have timber to cut for wood heating while still replenishing the supply, number and type of livestock, crops, orchards, fencing, windbreaks, etc. A much more thoughtful and practical way to actually run a self sustaining farm and lifestyle.

When going off grid often people thinking of also shunning all supplies from society. Making bone needles vs. purchasing a steel needle at Walmart can be done but how many skills one must have to not only know how to make a bone needle, but all the other hundreds or thousands of daily needs. Your clothing is going to wear out eventually so you either have to grow wool, cotton or tan hides. Then you have to build a loom. Spin the thread, weave the material, make a pattern, sew the garment. Brain tanning is possible. Smoking the leather will add flexibility. Even so leather garments are heavy and not very warm. Rabbit production is a good meat source and the fur can be sold for profit. Small space, low food costs, quick birth to harvest.

The Foxfire series of books from the 70's attempted to document many lost or dying skills by the mountain folk of the Appalachian mtns. How to make lye soap. OK first you need to make lye. Step by step instructions for many stuff most people take for granted.

Do a search for TINY HOUSE. There is a small industry that is building 150-500 square feet homes, often on trailers that are probably more along the lines of what is a realistic way to have a shelter that meets basic building codes and still meets your needs of low cost. Trailers have different requirements from permanent structures. Trailers and RVs are probably a better choice based on your price point. Also look into Teardrop Trailers.
    Tiny House Blog - Living Simply in Small Spaces
    Tumbleweed Tiny House Company

Last edited by Bruce Ramsey; 01-19-2012 at 09:59 AM.
    "The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Hank,
    It was a real interesting series. I viewed it and would highly recommend it.

His comments that the cabin warmed up to a comfortable 40 degrees was very interesting perspective.
    I agree. Wow, a "comfortable 40 degrees" Reminds me of the guy in a film about bone chilling Barrow Alaska who always works outside in a tee-shirt.