Brian Harwood Guest

Default Dedicated single garage receptacle and GFCI

While inspecting a home this week constructed in 2005, I noticed that two single receptacles in the garage were on their own dedicated 20 AMP circuit (one to operate a golf cart charger and the other for a refrigerator). In refering back to NEC section 210.8, there is no GFCI exception for this type of circuit. A local electrician advised that this is a correct exception but could not remember the NEC section. Can anyone advise the correct NEC section which deals with single receptacles in a garage as an exception to the GFCI requirement?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Dedicated single garage receptacle and GFCI

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Harwood View Post
    While inspecting a home this week constructed in 2005, I noticed that two single receptacles in the garage were on their own dedicated 20 AMP circuit (one to operate a golf cart charger and the other for a refrigerator). In refering back to NEC section 210.8, there is no GFCI exception for this type of circuit. A local electrician advised that this is a correct exception but could not remember the NEC section. Can anyone advise the correct NEC section which deals with single receptacles in a garage as an exception to the GFCI requirement?
    2005 NEC 210.8(A)(2) exceptions 1&2. They changed in 2008.

Brian Harwood Guest

Rollie, thanks for your quick reply. However, what I was looking for was the exception that did not deal with appliances that are not frequently moved (NEC 210.8(A)(2) exception 2) such as a hand held golf cart charger. Is there another exception dealing with the single receptacles on a dedicated circuit that is not contained in 210.8?

Robert Meier Guest

Ken mentioned garage door opener receptacles, in the 2011 NEC if a GFCI receptacle is installed in the garage ceiling it must be readily accessible. This means that if you cannot press the test button while standing on the floor it's now a violation. I can just reach the buttons on an 8' ceiling, a short inspector might only be able to reach a receptacle installed at 7'.

One other note, the State of New Jersey has a code amendment to keep the exceptions that appeared in the 2005 NEC.

Robert Meier Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ken horak View Post
    If the GFCI device is mounted in the garage ceiling it is not readily accessible.
    I wouldn't make such a broad statement without considering the ceiling height. Certainly a GFCI receptacle in a 7' ceiling is readily accessible.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Meier View Post
    I wouldn't make such a broad statement without considering the ceiling height. Certainly a GFCI receptacle in a 7' ceiling is readily accessible.
    No its not.

Robert Meier Guest

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    No its not.
    Here's the definition from article 100 of readily accessible. Can you explain how a device at 7' does not meet the definition?

Accessible, Readily (Readily Accessible). Capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspections without requiring those to whom ready access is requisite to climb over or remove obstacles or to resort to portable ladders, and so forth.

I have a guy (not very tall) that helps me on my rentals.
    The other day we were painting, I told him to get the ladder off the turck and remove the covers off the light switches.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    I have a guy (not very tall) that helps me on my rentals.
    The other day we were painting, I told him to get the ladder off the turck and remove the covers off the light switches.
    A long time ago I had two brothers working for me, one was 6'9" tall and the other was 6'11" tall, both could reach over 9 feet high - so, to them, 9' was 'readily accessible'.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Most electricians automatically just put in single receptacles in place of GFCI's with out knowing the complete rule.
    And an almost proportionate amount of inspectors will simply let it fly.

And I take exception to the word "most". A more accurate term is "some".
    Just because you see a few single receps in garages does not mean most of us don't know the codes.

One side note - I'm sorry to hear that the State of NJ could care less about peoples safety
    I also think this is a silly and over dramatic statement.

A properly installed garage door opener, plugged into a properly wired receptacle is NO less safe than anything inside a house.

Robert Meier Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post

A properly installed garage door opener, plugged into a properly wired receptacle is NO less safe than anything inside a house.
    The reason the exception was removed form the NEC is because people were unplugging the equipment from the single receptacles and then using portable tools in the garage or outside without GFCI protection. IMO that does increase the likelihood of a lethal electric shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post

And the village idiot will promptly plug an extension cord into the same receptacle to prevent their favorite power tool from tripping the GFCI every time they use it. Same deal with formerly dedicated appliance receptacles where the original owner that got rid of a freezer, or a new owner without one, uses as a general use receptacle - they now have a non GFCI receptacle in the garage.

I'm all for laws that would require residences for sale to have GFCIs installed to current code.

Come on Petey - you HAD to know the rule change had nothing to do with properly grounded door openers, right?

Occam's eraser: The philosophical principle that even the simplest solution is bound to have something wrong with it.

If a freezer/refrig (not easily movable appliance) was plugged into the outlet instead of the golf cart or in addition to the golf cart then there would not be an issue, correct?

General question. Though I do not think it makes a difference.

Since the home was built in 2005 and jurisdictions implement newer NEC at different times, would the 2003 NEC make any difference in this discussion?

((((((I admit for being a little lazy for not looking it up on my own.))))))) :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    General question. Though I do not think it makes a difference.

Since the home was built in 2005 and jurisdictions implement newer NEC at different times, would the 2003 NEC make any difference in this discussion?

((((((I admit for being a little lazy for not looking it up on my own.))))))) :-)
    Same requirements in the 2002 edition as in 2005. The trend is to eliminate the exceptions to GFCI requirements, in the future IMHO, they will be like the requirements for commercial kitchens where all 120V 15 & 20A cord & plug connected equipment has to have GFCI protection w/ NO exceptions.