Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: (rotten, infested) MDF?

Garry
    I am not aware of any specific wording or written guidelines. Like Scott, if I see evidence of termite infestation, frasse, deteriorated wood etc. (or whaever) I report what I see and recommend evaluation and remediation by a reputable and licensed PCO. Though the point is usually moot as the property requires a clear termite report by the lender in any event. On occasion I might find areas that the PCO may have missed, so between the two reports, the homeowner and buyer have a good idea of the extent of the damage/infestation and appropriate measures can be taken. That's not to say that anything I include in my report will take the place of a PCO/WDO report. Generally, however, it's more of confirming the PCO's findings. It's not uncommon here to have the whole house 'tented' for termites - I don't know about other parts of the country, so any bore holes/frasse etc I find (which the PCO didn't), doesn't make a whole heck of a difference, as long as no repair work is indicated.

Frequently my inspection and the PCO inspection is conducted at the same time and I might bring something to his attention and vice versa.

Billy, your immature reponse(s) are rarely observed in adult behaviour and do not do justice to your intellect, knowledge or experience.

Last edited by Ian Page; 02-10-2012 at 04:39 PM.
    Inspection Referral

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post

If somebody want to take me to court for telling my client I found termites then so be it, I would relish the time. I just can't see a judge telling me I can not tell my clients that I found termites.

I hear what you're saying, but down here, there won't be any court, won't be any judge, and isn't the client bringing a lawsuit. It'll be a quick administrative process followed by a large fine.

Your mileage may vary.

Dom.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Page View Post

Billy, your immature reponse(s) are rarely observed in adult behaviour and do not do justice to your intellect, knowledge or experience.
    Noted,

I've grown weary After 3 weeks and 130 Posts ( please read reply #3 .)

It took two LPCO's ( twenty plus years each ) references toThe University of Kentucky The Bug Guy to say No Carpenter Ants are or ever have been present.

Accused of not answering a Simple Question ( please read reply #3 ) and "morphing " this into ( along with other things) a Constitutional Rights Issue .

Then The Law says ( but it don't really mean what it says ) .

To run a Business each must make his/her own choices as to what they think are correct.

Do you really want to continue this ( well beaten ) discussion ?

* oh did I mention ( please read reply #3 ) ?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    No Infestation , ( Moisture Water De-laminated )

Installation Problem ( no gap at the Bottom. ) Water Wicks up causing deterioration and Rot.

Most Likely Composite Siding Identification by Siding Solutions, Inc.
    OK, here's post #3. What about it? On the basis of 1 bad photo you tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, there were no insects present. That's how this whole thread got into the subject of pest reporting, when it was originally about siding. You said I was wrong about that, too. I'd said I didn't think it was hardboard, and you show me a bunch of hardboard. I appreciate the effort, but I was looking for alternatives.

You don't have to participate in these 130 post discussions if the topic wearies you so. I don't mind these esoteric tangents, as long as the debate remains civil and respectful. They're intellectual exercises, promoting new thoughts, perspectives and ideas. Sometimes they get bogged down. Eventually they peter out (hmm, what a strange expression!).

If you can't be nice, don't play.

Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristi Silber View Post
    This is some kind of wood composite siding, about 5/8" or 3/4" thick except where it has gotten wet and rotten and infested with what I'm guessing are carpenter ants.

There it's flaky, made in pressed layers like. Seems not dense enough for hardboard, but like it's something akin to that, so I thought it might be MDF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post

No Infestation , ( Moisture Water De-laminated )

Installation Problem ( no gap at the Bottom. ) Water Wicks up causing deterioration and Rot.

Most Likely Composite Siding Identification by Siding Solutions, Inc.
    OK, here's post #3. What about it?

On the basis of 1 bad photo you tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, there were no insects present.

That's how this whole thread got into the subject of pest reporting,
    when it was originally about siding.

You said I was wrong about that, too. I'd said I didn't think it was hardboard, and you show me a bunch of hardboard.

I appreciate the effort, but I was looking for alternatives.

You don't have to participate in these 130 post discussions if the topic wearies you so. I don't mind these esoteric tangents, as long as the debate remains civil and respectful. They're intellectual exercises, promoting new thoughts, perspectives and ideas. Sometimes they get bogged down. Eventually they peter out (hmm, what a strange expression!).

If you can't be nice, don't play.

Kristi ?

Yes on One Photo the lack of infestation and the Most Likely Siding Type Link was provided .

Your Original Post was about about infested siding .

Most Likely Followed by a Link is Showing You my opinion of The Type of Siding.

What alternatives were you looking for if the correct answers were provided?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Billy Stephens; 02-11-2012 at 09:10 AM. Reason: avatar added
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

What was I looking for?

Since I'd already determined to my satisfaction that there was evidence of insect infestation, I wasn't looking for someone to tell me there wasn't. That was never the question, or I would have posted a photo that showed what I thought might be signs of infestation.

Since I'd said I didn't think it was hardboard because it wasn't dense enough, I wasn't looking for that suggestion.

You're free to have your opinion. Why act as if your opinion is the final word?

I was there. Give me a little credit.

This is enough for me, don't want to talk about it anymore, not worth it.

Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

What was I looking for?

Since I'd already determined to my satisfaction that there was evidence of insect infestation, I wasn't looking for someone to tell me there wasn't

That was never the question, or I would have posted a photo that showed what I thought might be signs of infestation

Since I'd said I didn't think it was hardboard because it wasn't dense enough, I wasn't looking for that suggestion.

You're free to have your opinion. Why act as if your opinion is the final word?

I was
    there. Give me a little credit.

This is enough for me, don't want to talk about it anymore, not worth it.

But there were none?

But even The Title of Your Thread is ( rotten,infested MFD?)

Gee if I look at your original Post it say's it might be MFD followed by a ? mark
    +which it was not.

Gosh I answered as best as I could and have been Attacked .BTW They were The Correct answers.

But You asked and You really didn't know what you were looking at

Well if you really want to and feel we've explored all the " Intellectual Exercises,

Promoting New Thoughts, Prospective s an Ideals ".

Last edited by Billy Stephens; 02-11-2012 at 07:14 AM. Reason: added avatar

And the final word goes to.............

I will give it a try...
    Despite an opinion that this is a "well beaten" discussion.
    It took quite a while to get to a point where there was a definitive (if you can accept it) answer on what is allowed in FL.
    CA opinion seems to follow the email from Joe Parker (FL).
    TN opinion seems to vary.
    Billy has a difficult time playing nice with others and does not like extra credit work.
    Don and Jerry do not seem to think that Joe Parker's email has any worth.
    Kristi was slammed for no good reason.
    HG has been really quiet...

If you get tired of a thread no one makes you follow it, so stop.
    If you do not want to provide research, don't gripe about what you do provide.
    It is hard to support a legal opinion with no real basis for that opinion.

Threads morph and the sun will rise tomorrow.

and don't forget "Mike is right"

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schulz View Post
    Looks like OSB siding to me. Hate the stuff.
    You suggested that way back, didn't you. I didn't ignore it, I tried looking for examples but didn't get very far...then I got caught up in the whole silly bug debate and never got back to the OSB thing.

I can't say for sure that's what it was, but it seems like the best fit based on its composition, response to water, thickness and density. I've been examining hardboard with moisture damage lately, and it's just not the same. Too bad I didn't get good photos of this stuff.

- James Burgh, 1754.

...then I got caught up in the whole silly bug

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123