Default Hip Roof Framing

Ran into this yesterday, place was built in 2005. Only the East sloping roof planes had the 2-by's laid flat. As you can see, the WoodButcher did a bang-up job. Has anyone else ran across this?

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Jim Hintz; 01-18-2012 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Add Photos
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Hip Roof Framing

Don't be so quick to condemn the flat 2X4's. That is standard practice for bridging between the flat top trusses in hip roof construction.

As long as the OSB is oriented correctly across the spans and the overall result is a solid hip roof, we have to accept a bit of butchery there.

Instead of short rafters running down to the top pf the wall, most builders use short trusses there. But if the field cut rafters are snug, well, it will pass inspection from the authority.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Doesn't look framed properly, no birds mouth cut, doesn't even appear to be nailed at the top of the truss.

Looks like an excellent example of Darwin roof framing. Reportable defect, hell yes!

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Don't be so quick to condemn the flat 2X4's. That is standard practice for bridging between the flat top trusses in hip roof construction.

As long as the OSB is oriented correctly across the spans and the overall result is a solid hip roof, we have to accept a bit of butchery there.

Instead of short rafters running down to the top pf the wall, most builders use short trusses there. But if the field cut rafters are snug, well, it will pass inspection from the authority.
    Hi John, thanks for responding. There are Bridge Trusses at the West End of the attic space too and those 2-bys are stood on edge running across the top of the Bride Truss from the top of the wall to the ridge. As for the OSB being oriented correctly, I also called out missing "H" clips due to the sag between the 2-bys. If it had been done throughout the attic, I'd probably believe it was meant to be that way. According to the Realtor, the contractor that looked at it yesterday laughed and shook his head - more than likely in disbelief. In the report I asked for a copy of the blueprints be provided to the buyer showing this configuration, or further evaluation by a Structural Engineer - Like I said before, this was the very first time I've seen this in 10 years of inspecting.

Last edited by Jim Hintz; 01-18-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Doesn't look framed properly, no birds mouth cut, doesn't even appear to be nailed at the top of the truss.
    Thanks Ray. I think this was an "oh-$h!t" moment rather than the intended design. Looking at where the flat rafters are on top of the 1st Bridge Truss, you'd think there'd be some type of Simpson Tie / Strap securing things together.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    Looks like an excellent example of Darwin roof framing. Reportable defect, hell yes!
    I'm with you all the way Jerry !

You would actually have to have the truss manufactuers design specs to see if the construction was "per manufactuers specifications". I've seen a few of these that I would not have even thought they were close to being constructed correctly, but after reading/looking at the plans/specs they were intalled in compliance with the specifications.

Now after saying that..... in some of the pictures you posted I have never seen any manufactuers that allowed this type of workmanship to be acceptable. Close but no cigar!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Carlisle View Post
    You would actually have to have the truss manufactuers design specs to see if the construction was "per manufactuers specifications". I've seen a few of these that I would not have even thought they were close to being constructed correctly, but after reading/looking at the plans/specs they were intalled in compliance with the specifications.

Now after saying that..... in some of the pictures you posted I have never seen any manufactuers that allowed this type of workmanship to be acceptable. Close but no cigar!
    Thanks Wayne. The part that sticks in my mind was only the east sloping planes (2 side by side but different elevations) were done this way, same pitch and same size Bridge Trusses for the West Plane - that's what makes me think it was a screw-up.