Grant Harrod Guest

Cool Grant Harrod--South Coast Home Inspections

Wanted to say hello to everyone, been reading for couple of months now and enjoy the forum.
    I have a contractor who did not install weep holes due to the fact that outside of the city limits the codes were not adopted according to the code inspection office, I wrote it up with no weep holes and suggested installing them, how about some input, thanks.
    P.S. Very humid and wet conditions.(Louisiana)

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Richard Rushing Guest

Default Re: Grant Harrod--South Coast Home Inspections

Grant,

You need to be careful recommending the retro-fitting of weep holes. This one (issue) can cause more damage than possible 'good' when done wrong which, most of the time-- *IS* done wrong.

When ole bubba gets out his drill bit and hammer-drills thru the mortar, it ainn-a stopp'in right'a way . The problem is when the drill goes thru the sheathing! Once that happens, then moisture is going to come to the *inside* as well.

It's one of these things where you have got to inform the buyer as to what they are getting into and advise them that most of the retro-fitting is usually not done right, then let them know of the ramifications of what can happen without weeps and what they are designed to do when installed properly.

"Identify" and "educate" is my advice.

rr

Grant Harrod Guest

Default Re: Grant Harrod--South Coast Home Inspections

Thanks Richard, i've been reading the previous posts on the recommendations and have a good idea now of what to tell my clients and the realtor. There can be serious ramafications with this I can see that. I have to say the only way I would do the installation is to remove a brick to see if the flashing is present and go from there. $$$$$$$$$$$$ and lots of it.