Thread: Exposed flue

Default Exposed flue

Do you think that exposed flue liners will affect drafting due to the potential temperature difference from the liners surrounded by brick and these which are exposed? I mean its only two liners....

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Exposed flue

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    Do you think that exposed flue liners will affect drafting due to the potential temperature difference from the liners surrounded by brick and these which are exposed? I mean its only two liners....
    I dunno Marc, I would be concerned about seismic movement and them heavy liners landing on someone's head. I think we can safely say that is not an approved installation.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    I dunno Marc, I would be concerned about seismic movement and them heavy liners landing on someone's head. I think we can safely say that is not an approved installation.
    Hey Gunnar...Yea, the unit actually had more issues than this. I used the technical term "all jacked up".

that was added.
    now it needs a full level 2 inspection
    good idea smart guy
    was there an addition, Dormer, within 10 feet, up there where the height adjustment was required?

When I see something like that I wonder why it was done - mostly likely because something was not performing correctly to begin with.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barker View Post
    When I see something like that I wonder why it was done - mostly likely because something was not performing correctly to begin with.
    Or that it was not high enough above any part of any structure within 10 feet of it - that would be my first guess, but the photo does not show enough to know for sure.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Here's the only image I got from a distance.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Chimney flue liner extensions OK, color not !

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    Chimney flue liner extensions OK, color not !
    JC, I think you mean those don't look like real flue tiles? and you might be right.

I agree it needs to be checked out, and repaired or upgraded. Most likely it was done to cure a downdraft issue from wind coming over the roof.
    They will get some cooling on those top two tiles, so there will be creosote build up there. If they only burn store-bought Presto logs or bone dry wood, that won't be much of an issue.

A house up the road from me has that same chimney design. It has survived about 4 years now. It's our local seismic event gauge.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

last time I checked a 'chimney' was comprised of a min. 4" wythe wall surrounding a flue liner. If you need to extend the flue gas outlet, you need to extend the chimney.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.