Burt Rothenberger Guest

Default Blocked toilet vent

How do I unblock a clogged toilet vent if the vent goes into a vent stack and can't be reached from the stack? I can get to the toilet drain.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Blocked toilet vent

Quote Originally Posted by Burt Rothenberger View Post
    How do I unblock a clogged toilet vent if the vent goes into a vent stack and can't be reached from the stack? I can get to the toilet drain.
    Hi Burt,

Just curious as to what or why you think the vent is blocked.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Call a plumber

Burt Rothenberger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Hi Burt,

Just curious as to what or why you think the vent is blocked.
    Water level in toilet drops slowly over time, say 2-3 hours. No sign of leaks. Happens intermittently for a day or two and then the toilet functions normally. This has gone on for a year and probably happened three times or so. Each time it has recovered in a day or two. This time the toilet level has been dropping for longer, 4-5 days, with no recovery. Don't know if this a factor, but the temps have been around zero for this 4-5 day period.

Three vents go into the same stack that goes thru the roof and this toilet is on one of them. At least one other toilet is on the same stack and there is no problem with it. Up in the attic I have drilled a hole through the two vents that could vent this toilet and snaked both and poured water thru both; water is heard in the basement from both of these vents, so I conclude that whatever I can snake is clear. From all this I conclude that the malfunctioning toilet vents into this stack from the side but I can't get to it from above. I have plunged the toilet repeatedly, but that hasn't helped.

May be an obstruction in the toilet trap.
    Something like an ear swab will slowly drain the trap.
    Try a toilet auger

Last edited by Rick Cantrell; 01-22-2012 at 06:05 PM.
    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    May be an obstruction in the toilet trap.
    Something like an ear swab will slowly drain the trap.
    Try a toilet auger
    Or paper caught part way over the trap, it will drain until the water is below the tip of the paper - same solution as above - toilet auger.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    - same solution as above - .
    But what about The Alternative Method ?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

Burt Rothenberger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Burt Rothenberger View Post
    Water level in toilet drops slowly over time, say 2-3 hours. No sign of leaks. Happens intermittently for a day or two and then the toilet functions normally. This has gone on for a year and probably happened three times or so. Each time it has recovered in a day or two. This time the toilet level has been dropping for longer, 4-5 days, with no recovery. Don't know if this a factor, but the temps have been around zero for this 4-5 day period.

Three vents go into the same stack that goes thru the roof and this toilet is on one of them. At least one other toilet is on the same stack and there is no problem with it. Up in the attic I have drilled a hole through the two vents that could vent this toilet and snaked both and poured water thru both; water is heard in the basement from both of these vents, so I conclude that whatever I can snake is clear. From all this I conclude that the malfunctioning toilet vents into this stack from the side but I can't get to it from above. I have plunged the toilet repeatedly, but that hasn't helped.
    Thanks, I'll try the toilet auger

Sounds more like a toilet blockage than a venting issue, to me. Before you auger - if it's not too late - try sucking with a shop-vac first. If there is a blockage the auger could push the item in tighter. Any small children in the home who could have flushed a toy?

It's not a big deal to pull the toilet. I pulled one a few months ago and found roots had entered the bathroom, either by following the sewer line or through the adjacent exterior wall, under the existing tile floor and balled up between the toilet and flange. Made for some pretty slow draining / flushing issues but a fairly simple fix.

Burt,
    Pull toilet. Snake line. Stick hand in from bottom of toilet to check for obstruction. . Stick hand in from top side and check for obstruction. This will take toilet and line out of the equation

Total materials :$8 (new was ring + new bolts) , Total time : 1 hr.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Burt,
    Pull toilet. Snake line. Stick hand in from bottom of toilet to check for obstruction. . Stick hand in from top side and check for obstruction. This will take toilet and line out of the equation

Total materials :$8 (new was ring + new bolts) , Total time : 1 hr.
    Yeah,
    I had one with a can of Shoe Polish in it. ( just slid back & forth. )

I would try closet auger first. But often times the obstruction may be something thin like a toothbrush, tampon tube, or even a toilet paper holder spool.

Seen this many times especially with kids. Sometimes the closet auger will appear to clear the obstruction but only pushes it aside and the obstruction presents again when a wad of paper or large BM catches on it.

Best bet is to pull toilet and use a small inspection mirror to check the trap from the bowl side as well as the horn outlet.

If it's an old toilet, this is a good time to replace it with a new low water flush unit for about $200. This will save you having to grope around in that old one.

The American Standard Cadet 3 is a good flusher for $200 or less.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Burt,
    You can also go to the roof snake it from the top down. Also you can flush out the vent with a garden hose, also can run hose down the vent pipe.

Burt Rothenberger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Saville View Post
    I would try closet auger first. But often times the obstruction may be something thin like a toothbrush, tampon tube, or even a toilet paper holder spool.

Seen this many times especially with kids. Sometimes the closet auger will appear to clear the obstruction but only pushes it aside and the obstruction presents again when a wad of paper or large BM catches on it.

Best bet is to pull toilet and use a small inspection mirror to check the trap from the bowl side as well as the horn outlet.

Toilet auger worked. Don't know what the blockage was since it got pushed through. Thanks for all the help. This is a great site and I'll talk it up.

Burt
    Glad we could help.

Maybe you would consider helping to support this site.
    On the left side there is a yellow donation link.
    Just something to consider.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.