john thurmond Guest

Default Surface Mounted SE Recessed

I can't find anything on GE's web site or anything in NEC backing up my thoughts that this SE is improperly installed. I know the builder is going to want to argue this point I made. Please point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

john thurmond Guest

Smile Re: Surface Mounted SE Recessed

Sorry, It's an all in one GE CTL Surface Type 3R

Default Re: Surface Mounted SE Recessed

(underlining is mine)
    312.2 Damp, Wet, or Hazardous (Classified) Locations.
    - (A) Damp and Wet Locations. In damp or wet locations, surface-type enclosures within the scope of this article shall be placed or equipped so as to prevent moisture or water from entering and accumulating within the cabinet or cutout box, and shall be mounted so there is at least 6-mm (ΒΌ-in.) airspace between the enclosure and the wall or other supporting surface. Enclosures installed in wet locations shall be weatherproof. For enclosures in wet locations, raceways or cables entering above the level of uninsulated live parts shall use fittings listed for wet locations.
    Exception: Nonmetallic enclosures shall be permitted to be installed without the airspace on a concrete, masonry, tile, or similar surface.
    FPN: For protection against corrosion, see 300.6.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

john thurmond Guest

Thumbs up Re: Surface Mounted SE Recessed

Jerry, thank you for your quick response. Builders here are rushing the electrical install before hard coat or EIFS is completed and it's my person quest to let them know about it. I knew I had read that they must be able to drain behind the panel so they don't rust-out etc. On behalf of all the other mostly silent readers of this MB, your expertise is always appreiciated. Thanks agian, JT

Smile Re: Surface Mounted SE Recessed

I don't bother to argue with builders. I ask them for their supporting documentation in printed form. They go away.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

Aaron Miller Guest

Wink Re: Surface Mounted SE Recessed

John:

I think you might want to add that the stucco installation is also incorrect as regards termination at a dissimilar material. The system must be properly spaced and then sealed with a low modulus sealant approved by the manufaturer.

Aaron

john thurmond Guest

Talking Re: Surface Mounted SE Recessed

Aaron:
    I did address the stucco concerns. I even found out the mfg and application details were Unicoat for the hardcoat and Drivit for the finished coat. I just reported what I saw, the builder agreed to give home buyer a 5 year warranty on the stucco after a few other repairs were made. I replied to the home owner that her house may not be there in 5 years... See fireplace termination cap... LOL I had addressed the location of the vent termination at the pre-drywall/framing inspection. He(builder) didn't move it then, and now it's gonna be expensive to move. County Inspector never said a word about it.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

John, that does indeed look too close to the side wall to me.
    Do you know the clearance requirements for that unit?

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Aaron Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by john thurmond View Post
    Aaron:
    I did address the stucco concerns. I even found out the mfg and application details were Unicoat for the hardcoat and Drivit for the finished coat. I just reported what I saw, the builder agreed to give home buyer a 5 year warranty on the stucco after a few other repairs were made. I replied to the home owner that her house may not be there in 5 years... See fireplace termination cap... LOL I had addressed the location of the vent termination at the pre-drywall/framing inspection. He(builder) didn't move it then, and now it's gonna be expensive to move. County Inspector never said a word about it.
    John:

Damn fine looking work to me. And a 5-year warranty from a builder is about as valuable as it sounds . . . worthless.

Aaron

john thurmond Guest

Good question Jim,
    The unit mfg states 6", local jurisdiction says 9", builder says that 5" that is there is acceptable. I was ready for battle but the home owner didn't want to cause a fuss with the builder. "OK Lady, it's your home..."