Default Bad day for a ride

I'm sitting in my truck between inspections today with my face in the computer...... and bam! Poor guy on a motorcycle had someone pull out in front of him. Best choice was to plow into the parked car.... luckily he was mostly okay. His knee/leg was a bit messed up but I think he'll be alright.

Worst part.... listening to the phone call to the wife - "Hi honey, I got in ANOTHER accident" - I'm thinking the insurance money won't be spent on a new bike.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Bad day for a ride

Crunch! Guy's lucky to still be with us. Darn those dangerous murder-sickles.

That being said, I managed to survive 50+ years of riding bikes, including more than 383,600 miles on one BMW R90/6, 19+ years of ownership (have the factory medallions to prove it). Secret to survival was to always ride "invisible", as if no other motorists could see you. Meaning it's always up to the rider to be prepared for the unexpected, and be able to avoid whatever pulls out in front of you.

Glad to hear that guy was free from any major injuries. That's excellent advice, BridgeMan. I gotta say that I hate the implied message on the "Look Twice Save a Life. Motorcycles are Everywhere" bumper stickers. To me (and maybe I am reading it wrong), it puts the onus on preventing a motorcycle accident on the driver of the car.

I know the folks behind the bumper sticker lost someone close who was a motorcycle rider, and that in their case it was a careless driver. Unfortunately, the behavior I notice more often (and I don't think it's more PREVALENT...but it's just what I see) are the hot shots who zip in between stopped cars or slower cars on the freeway and fly down neighborhood streets. I know it's the few riders who give the rest a bad name.

I do keep an eye out for ALL vehicles, be they motorcycles, cars, trucks, horses and buggies, bikes, runners. And THAT should be the message on the bumper sticker.

But BridgeMan, your advice is spot on...never assume the other drivers see you (whether driving, riding a motorcycle, biking, running, etc. ) When I go running, I never run in front of a car at an intersection unless that driver has seen me and acknowledged my presence.

Too often, the driver is looking the OTHER way to see when a break in traffic will occur so he can turn right. If I can, I'll go behind the car, but only if the driver behind the first car has seen me. Thankfully, I only cross a few busy intersections, but I've had a few close calls where I was "in the right" but would have been "dead right" as some say if I'd been hit.

Anyway, the things you see....

Darrel Hood Guest

His insurance company attorney is considering blaming you for the damage. His logic will be that you created a dangerous condition by parking your car where he was going to dump the bike.

Post Re: Bad day for a ride

Just what you needed! An idiot to pull out in front of a motorcycle, forcing him to slam into you. How much time did this cost you in lost production? Did the vehicle driver that caused the accident stop? I would be invoicing some one.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

Sorry I guess I left that a bit open.... it wasn't me the bike hit. I was parked right next to it. Come on.... you guys don't think I'd drive some crappy little mini-SUV did you ? Had he hit the back of my HD Silverado I doubt I would have even felt it I suppose he's really lucky.... that crappy little Ford probably had some give.

Every time I've gone down on one of my bikes its been because of some crazy thing a car driver did. (Well, except for that oil slick in the middle of an S curve that dumped me) I ride assuming cars don't see me and will most likely do something to endanger me. Luckily my K12 has great torque and ABS. The Honda is a bit more risky.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"