Default URINE SMELL AND STAIN

HEY ALL

you know i have had pets--cats and dogs since i was nine years old--today i am a young 64. did an inspection today--house was a dirty mess--dog scratches all over. two rooms had lifted carpet and yellow stains on sub floor and it really smelled bad of urine--and moisture meter read 11.9. wrote it up in report as heavy urine smell in carpet and my buyers agent came back at me and said i shouldn't have said that. HOW DID I KNOW IT WAS URINE. come on man/women. piss is piss. the buyer had a carpet installer there at inspection and agreed, buyer has a dog who was at inspection--he agreed. where do we draw the like on urine like substance--mold like substance

cvf

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: URINE SMELL AND STAIN

I always indicate any type of unusual smell, Urine Like means LIKE urine, does not mean it is urine,
    I even stopped a client outside the front door to the home they wanted to purchase and said, Stop and take a good whiff.
    The house is located 200 yard away from the sewage treatment plant.
    STINK!! is an understatement.
    They said" will it always smell like that"?
    I told them to ask their broker, who in this case said,
    Yes it will always smell like $hit
    When brokers say something like that I just ask them as to what comment would they want if it was for their daughter buying a house

"The carpet and underlay appear to be contaminated with an unidentified substance. Testing and DNA analysis of the stains by a certified toxicologist is recommended before closing."

The clients are already having the carpets replaced, and they know there's a stink. What's the big deal?

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    HEY ALL

you know i have had pets--cats and dogs since i was nine years old--today i am a young 64. did an inspection today--house was a dirty mess--dog scratches all over. two rooms had lifted carpet and yellow stains on sub floor and it really smelled bad of urine--and moisture meter read 11.9. wrote it up in report as heavy urine smell in carpet and my buyers agent came back at me and said i shouldn't have said that. HOW DID I KNOW IT WAS URINE. come on man/women. piss is piss. the buyer had a carpet installer there at inspection and agreed, buyer has a dog who was at inspection--he agreed. where do we draw the like on urine like substance--mold like substance
    cvf
    CVF,

You said urine smell. You did not say urine contaminated. You reported what you found/smelled. I see no problem with what you reported. I would have done the same. (Well... I probably would have worded it slightly differently).

What is with people like this? We are paid to report on conditions to the best of our ability. Would they prefer Heavy acrid odor emanating from the approximate area of the carpet and/or subfloor? Good grief!

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

I have one of those little black lights that show urine stains.
    IF I detect a heavy odor, I will ask my client if they also smell it. If they do (almost always they do), I make a comment in my report about odors.
    When I encounter rodent droppings, or critter poop I take a photo and include it in my report.

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    moisture meter read 11.9. wrote it up in report as heavy urine smell in carpet and my buyers agent came back at me and said i shouldn't have said that. HOW DID I KNOW IT WAS URINE.
    That's when you quip back: "I knew it was urine the second I licked the moisture meter prongs clean."

Food for thought: Where did you next stick those moisture meter prongs? Do you clean them? With what?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

jerry

alcohol--after every use--and not capt morgan

cvf

I use Patron to clean my.... of never mind.