Roofmaster 417 Guest

Default How many layers did you say?

I figured since this is an inspectors oriented website I would post a picture of one of our roof builds.This would be something that might make an inspector go insane if they found this.

I was told by the customer that this roof had 3 layers.They kept insisting but me learning years ago that regardless maintain a written clause for layers/damage unforeseen.It has saved me in the past and it definitely helped me on this build.

I know.,it is my responsibility to find all layers.But.,I have a rule that I will make a professional call on the layers after pulling back rake lines and along the gutter line.But to create the liability for interior damage by digging into the roof is not an option.Insurance companies back me on this approach so it has become mandatory.

This roof turned out to be 11 layers.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: How many layers did you say?

Good grief! I bet the house breathed a huge sigh of relief when all those layers were removed.
    I see the original roof had skip sheathing. Did you put cedar shingles/shakes back up, or what?

Welmoed Sisson
    Inspections by Bob, LLC, Boyds, MD
    "Given sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

Roofmaster 417 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Welmoed Sisson View Post
    Good grief! I bet the house breathed a huge sigh of relief when all those layers were removed.
    I see the original roof had skip sheathing. Did you put cedar shingles/shakes back up, or what?

We redecked with 7/16" O.S.B.,H-clips,30lb felt and Tamko Heritage Weatherwood with moisture guard in the valleys.It was a big fat sloppy pig but it is complete now so all is good.

100 years old cedar for the first layer of coarse. I had a 14 layer 115 year old house in St Paul a few years ago. Original cedar still in place.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Cool photo!!

Think this roof may have more than one layer or even two?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Wow, that was a tough job. Where you are, do they charge by weight to dump that bin? Curious to know the weight of 11 layers of roofing.
    He was only getting about 10 years out of that roll roofing, so he switched to asphalt shingles in 1985.

I see cedar shingles under asphalt from time to time up here. They will often cut back the edges and lay in a plank to conceal the rotten edge of the old roof, but it will be obvious in the attic.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Yuck, I'd hate to have to tear all that off. What a nightmare.

Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

Roofmaster 417 Guest

I subbed this to a friend.,Hahahahaha.,Friend?.,what would I do to an enemy.,hahahaha.,really though he had no dump trailer and mine were being used so I ordered him a roll off.I think it was a $185 drop fee.,then 3 tons free with $48 per ton.I am sure it was around $1200 by the time it was all over with all the fees they seem to have created while the dumster was sitting there..

After finding out the truth through family members.The roof leaked for 60 years.Everytime it leaked.,another layer was added.He really did a great job.The customer was happy.Considering the complexity of the tear off it still only took them 4 days.4 American country boys.