Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default PDF Converter Program Recommendations

Following my recent office computer failure and replacement, I can't seem to find the PDF converter software disc to reinstall the converter on my new computer. I downloaded a free PDF converter and it works fine but it does not offer any capability to adjust the memory size of documents. Therefore, a report with 24 pics is coming is at 17MB and I want to get it down to about half of that. Does anybody have a recommendation for a PDF converter that provides this capability?

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    "It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Default Re: PDF Converter Program Recommendations

Are you using Word? My version 2010 has a built in PDF convertor. My reports are 20-25 pages with 20-30 pics and going out an average of 4MB.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    report with 24 pics is coming is at 17MB
    The best way is to re-size the photos smaller before inserting the photos into Word.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Heres a great free re sizing program. Also does text, watermarks, borders, etc. Once you set your preferences, one click does them all at once.

I love it.

FastStone Photo Resizer - Powerful Image Converter/Resizer

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    Heres a great free re sizing program. Also does text, watermarks, borders, etc. Once you set your preferences, one click does them all at once.

I love it.

FastStone Photo Resizer - Powerful Image Converter/Resizer
    That is the same one I use.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks John. I'll give it a shot.

I already take all my inspection pics in PC mode on the camera. I prefer not to downsize them any further or I'll lose picture clarity.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

If you are using Word, you can "compress" not resize everything within the document at once. I resize all my photos with MS photo editor to fit two side by side on the page in my report before importing to the report and then compress with Word once I am finished with the report but before converting to a pdf. I find using the compress function inside word results in little (if any) loss of clarity. I compress to the "200" setting normally but have used the more drastic compression with extremely large reports with little (if any) loss of clarity.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

I use "PDF Create v7" by Nuance. Does everything you need including editing PDF's, converting to forms, typing directly on PDF forms, etc. Fantastic product.

Here's the link: Nuance - PDF Converter Professional 7 - PDF Converter Professional 7

Try this PDF as a sample. My original pics are usually over 1MB each. Then I downsize. This doc with 6 inserts is only 380kb. Go ahead and zoom on the doc. The resolution stays plenty good. This was converted with the Word built in PDF convertor.

You need to experiment with different camera settings and downsizing functions with Fastone until you find the combo you like.

My cover pic size is 1024x768.

My report body size is 554x416. This allows me 3 rows of 2 on each row with a bit of room for text to explain the pics.

Attached Files Attached Files

James Duffin Guest

This is free and works great. It installs as a printer.

PDFCreator - The free PDF Creator and Converter | pdfforge.org

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    This is free and works great. It installs as a printer.

PDFCreator - The free PDF Creator and Converter | pdfforge.org
    As does PDF Converter — #1 Free PDF Creator — PrimoPDF.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

I just went through this a couple weeks ago... I had Adobe 9.0 (paid $100) on my old computer but couldn't find the disc or product key. So, I checked out some free ones to get me by. I found Primo PDF and it's great.

I take my pics in the smallest format 640X480 so my average report is 2mb or so. On the smallest setting through primo it ends up around 400kb (.4mb).

Anyway, I found my Adobe disc and don't care to re-install it.... Primo works great. I tried 8 or so free progams and everyone had some problem except this one. If you try it go thru CNET to avoid spyware... here's the link:

PrimoPDF - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    Following my recent office computer failure and replacement, I can't seem to find the PDF converter software disc to reinstall the converter on my new computer. I downloaded a free PDF converter and it works fine but it does not offer any capability to adjust the memory size of documents. Therefore, a report with 24 pics is coming is at 17MB and I want to get it down to about half of that. Does anybody have a recommendation for a PDF converter that provides this capability?
    I use docuprinter by Neevia. It is 20 bucks and a print driver, so you can convert any document into a PDF. Docuprinter

I resize my pictures prior to putting them in the report. If you have win xp, Power Toys has a bulk resizer.
    If you have Win Vista or 7, use this: Resizer

Eric Van De Ven Magnum Inspections Inc. (772) 214-9929
    www.magnuminspections.com
    I still get paid to be suspicious when I got nothing to be suspicious about!

Eric Shuman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Saville View Post
    I use "PDF Create v7" by Nuance. Does everything you need including editing PDF's, converting to forms, typing directly on PDF forms, etc. Fantastic product.

Here's the link: Nuance - PDF Converter Professional 7 - PDF Converter Professional 7
    This is a great PDF program. Been using it for 7 years. I paid about $100 for the new version when I got a new computer this year. Works great, worth the price

I use Nitropdf. I have it set up like a printer so anything you can print you can turn to a pdf. Works well.

Nevada IOS#1730
    Nevada Energy Auditor #30
    775-342-4767 www.homecsi.com

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post

This one worked out great. The presets that are already in the program size the report down very nicely. Total memory size with 18 pics comes in about 800+ KBs and the resolution is not compromised either. And best of all, the program is free. Thanks for the tip.