Default Unconventional truss system?

Came across a truss system different from any other truss system I have seen. This system had no gusset plates where the truss system meets at the middle, and was slightly offset 1/2" very likely due to movement due to the age of the structure (41 years) with two boards directly under the truss.

Please advise if this is an unconventional truss system, conventional for the early 70's or if it needs further review.

Thank you,

Sidney Alstad

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Unconventional truss system?

Modular home????? Did you look at the top plate in the middle of the house to see if it was a modular?

I thought the same thing, double-wide modular. I wouldn't be too concerned about that slight offset. If everything is straight and true up there, it was likely built that way.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Modular home????? Did you look at the top plate in the middle of the house to see if it was a modular?
    Top plate not visible due to 12" of blown insulation. Would you write this up as typical for modular framing and further investigation by a licensed general contractor and/or owner disclosure.

I wouldn't write it up as modular construction unless you were sure it was. Did it have a crawlspace? A modular home would be detected in the crawlspace as well. Another clue is there will usually be a wall (in the center of the house, that is much wider than the others (because the two sections meet in the center).
    If I go up in an attic and see trusses like that, I will move the insulation at the center point and look at the top plate. But, like I said, its usually obvious when you go under the house.

In Tennessee, it has to be disclosed if the house was not "site built". Many people don't have any idea (if they bought an older house, then sold it years later).

You may want to see if you can get back in the house and verify. That way, you don't look like an idiot for calling out a modular when its not, and you can look "good" for calling one out when no one knew. If its a crawlspace, you may not even need to get back inside the house, just crawl under it and look at the center area.

I wouldn't write it up as modular construction unless you were sure it was. Did it have a crawlspace? A modular home would be detected in the crawlspace as well. Another clue is there will usually be a wall (in the center of the house, that is much wider than the others (because the two sections meet in the center).
    If I go up in an attic and see trusses like that, I will move the insulation at the center point and look at the top plate. But, like I said, its usually obvious when you go under the house.

In Tennessee, it has to be disclosed if the house was not "site built". Many people don't have any idea (if they bought an older house, then sold it years later).

You may want to see if you can get back in the house and verify. That way, you don't look like an idiot for calling out a modular when its not, and you can look "good" for calling one out when no one knew. If its a crawlspace, you may not even need to get back inside the house, just crawl under it and look at the center area.
    No, it did not have a crawlspace, but a walkout basement (finished).

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Looks like it could easily be a modular. Can you get back in?
    Looking at the attic photos again, it really looks like a modular.

Looks like it could easily be a modular. Can you get back in?
    Looking at the attic photos again, it really looks like a modular.
    Was thinking that it may be a tract home with a split truss system.

Sidney Alstad

You won't know for sure unless you look at it. Your call.

Quote Originally Posted by sidney alstad View Post
    Was thinking that it may be a tract home with a split truss system.

Sidney Alstad
    They put a lot of extra wood into that truss system. That ridge beam wouldn't even be there in a normal truss roof. The only logical reason would be to transport the home or the roof in two halves.

There could be a building permit or whatever you call it at the municipal office. There should be documentation from when the place was built. The realtor could verify that for your client.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Check out that gable vent from the exterior pic. Looks like it could be a split design too. One that comes together when they mate the two halves.

If not modular then why the 3 series of 12p gal nail on both sides of the ridge?

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    If not modular then why the 3 series of 12p gal nail on both sides of the ridge?
    Overlay roofing.

Pre-fab modular typical.

Appears the "walkout" portion ("man door, windows) previously OH door, "basement" area expanded.

Unkwn foundation/garage/basement original or dugout, retaining wall appearance, alterations, and lot topography from photo raises questions as to how many "generations" of alterations/remodels have taken place.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Those are just long roofing nails, I believe.

What's holding the two sides together at the top? I don't see any attachment holding the ridge beam boards together. The offset could mean they are sliding - or it could mean nothing at all.

Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.
    - James Burgh, 1754.