Default Laser Measuring tools ?

I'm interested in purchasing a laser measurement tool for use with documenting existing conditions at some historic building sites.

I've always done this process with 2 people and a good old tape measure, but I'm looking to avoid having the second person and having the ability to quickly calculate angles.

Does anyone have any experience with these tools ?....any comments about the accuracy, reliability, durability and ease of use would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking at something like this.

Bosch Laser Distance Tool and Angle Measurer GLM 80

or this.

Leica DISTO D210XT Laser Distance Measuring Device - 1.6 in. to 210 ft. - Mfg# 776110

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Laser Measuring tools ?

The laser ones are great, very accurate. The sonic ones suck. They have cool features like square footage and cubic footage. Only issue is you need something to bounce it off of, so it works great for interior, not so great for exterior unless you set up something to reflect.

It took me way too long to move away from using a tape measure. Even after I bought a laser it took a while to really start using it. I have the Stabila variation of the two you listed.
    In that price point they are all pretty much the same overall. If you do a search many of the smaller lasers have user ratings. I was looking at both of those. I like Stabila products and my dealer gave me a nice discount on the display model.
    For me, manipulating the buttons with the most ease to get square footage was the most important factor. Figure out which function you'll use most and see how the unit handles that function.
    As far as use, it has made assessments so much faster and easier. I would definitely recommend getting one.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Ted Menelly Guest

I have the Bosch. Very accurate.

I've had the Leica Disto 2 which I use for energy audits and thermal imaging inspections. Fast and easy.
    Amazon.com: Leica Disto D2 Laser Distance Meter: Home Improvement

www.dapkusinspections.com
    www.chicagoinfraredthermalimaging.com
    Infraspection Institute Certified Level III Thermographer # 8510

Thanks for the replies. Simple question...I assume when you measure you place the butt of the device against say an inside corner and shoot ... correct? Any tricks for measuring the exterior dimensions of a building?

Kenneth Edlin Guest

Our group of inspectors each possess and use a Bosch DLR130 (or similar) Laser Measure several times a day. They are easy to use. Beats the old "hold the tape for me" scenario. Very helpful, fast and accurate