Roger Shafer Guest

Default Ball Valve in a Gas line?

In California I found a gas line to a barbecue island that has a ball valve. Is a ball valve allowed in a gas line? It seems like it should be water only.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Ball Valve in a Gas line?

There are plenty of gas shutoffs that are ball type. Each valve is rated for a specific application. What was stamped on the valve or on the handle?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Shafer View Post
    In California I found a gas line to a barbecue island that has a ball valve. Is a ball valve allowed in a gas line? It seems like it should be water only.
    RS,

I had a hard time with those as well. Until someone on this board told me to look for WOG on the label. Wog = approved for Water, Oil or Gas.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    I had a hard time with those as well. Until someone on this board told me to look for WOG on the label. Wog = approved for Water, Oil or Gas.
    WOG does not mean the valve was approved for natural gas or LP (and it's an older pseudo-standard that has since been replaced with CWP and SWP ratings). You need to look for other indicators such as a CSA or older AGA/CGA mark. While valves - ball and gate - with a WOG 600 mark might be suitable for use with gas, unless the valve has a specific mark indicating approval for gas you can't assume it is.

tom daley Guest

The bottom of the gas shut-off valve for a gas meter is to be six inches above final grade level - which your example does not have.
    There should also be 36" clear and level in front of the gas meter - which your pic does have.