charlessgold Guest

Default half garage conversion

I have half garage conversion, from a 2 car garage..stalled single car garage door,
    conversion area has glass door egress and solid door egress into garage for exits in and out.total of 2 doors. has plenty of ventilation . flooring is original concert ,w adhesive tile
    covering in utility area.
    there is a sheet rock dividing wall w/ 8ft ceiling and insulation in all walls.&ceiling.
    the conversion area is used as utility room, w/ desk space, free standing book case,computer space,and t.v. it has heating duct from furnance located in main part of home..
    its has electrical power supply in walls and ceiling from power supply in garage.
    I acted as my own owner/contractor.. approx sq ft 220..electrical was done by
    contractor.. do not recall permits. any info or comments if ok?.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: half garage conversion

Not versed in CA law, but
    You probably committed 28 offenses in CA not to mention your jurisdiction.
    You only have permits if you go and get them.

Quote Originally Posted by charlessgold View Post
    do not recall permits. any info or comments if ok?.
    Pretty sure that's not going to be okay with your local municipality.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by charlessgold View Post
    I acted as my own owner/contractor.. approx sq ft 220..electrical was done by contractor.. do not recall permits. any info or comments if ok?.
    I would call the local building department and tell them what you did, understand that you will most likely be paying a hefty penalty for what you did, and that you may have to rip everything you did out.

From your description, you certainly managed to violate a lot of code sections, and while you may be able to end up with something similar to what you have, I would definitely expect to make A LOT of changes and corrections to meet the requirements of the code and the town.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Don Burbach Guest

On the surface.... no appraiser is going to count what you have added as living space. Permits are needed for at least: electrical work, heating system modification, structural work. Your room is not suitable for a bedroom.

Usually, anyone who says they don't 'recall' getting permits didn't get permits.

The worst case scenario is that you rip it out and restore the area to its permitted 'as built' condition if it becomes an issue. Perhaps, the best case is the buyer wants it and takes it 'as is'.

Disclose, disclose as part of the sale process..... then handle the issues. It will keep you out of court later on.

Darrel Hood Guest

In this area, any reputable electrical contractor would have pulled the necessary permits as part of the bid price. However, you would still be on the hook for any other permits that were needed. However, if you were not in a municipality, there would be no required permits. That's just Texas.