Default More FPE panels bite the dust - and now it is out in the open :)

Saw this on the news today at lunch ... will likely generate some useful discussion between the FPE-need-replacing and the FPE-nothing-wrong-with-them inspectors.

Action 9 Finds Hidden Danger In Many Central Florida Homes | www.wftv.com

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: More FPE panels bite the dust - and now it is out in the open :)

I just saw one this morning. Seven throws of the hand to deenergize the entire panel and as I was backing the screws out on the bottom of the deadfront cover, the breakers were moving forward and pushing against the inside of the deadfront. I ended my inspection of the panel right there and sunk the screws back in. Replacement needed.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Saw this on the news today at lunch ... will likely generate some useful discussion between the FPE-need-replacing and the FPE-nothing-wrong-with-them inspectors.

Action 9 Finds Hidden Danger In Many Central Florida Homes | www.wftv.com
    '
    Yeah So ? What does Channel 9 know.

Nick,

Any Panel manufacturer can Make em to Keep the BREAKERS IN whats the challenge in that?

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    I just saw one this morning. Seven throws of the hand to deenergize the entire panel and as I was backing the screws out on the bottom of the deadfront cover, the breakers were moving forward and pushing against the inside of the deadfront. I ended my inspection of the panel right there and sunk the screws back in. Replacement needed.
    Just another of many things about older FPE panels. The breaker buss is mounted on a spring loaded base that is designed to press the breakers against the cover so there is no space between the breaker front and the cover. As you begin to release this pressure any "skinny" breakers forced into the wrong kind of space on the buss use the opportunity to pop loose. Which is why I don't recommend taking the cover off a FPE panel. The panels are frequently full, and in order to put the cover back on you're sometimes forced to install a breaker in a slot not designed for it.

Your liability insurance cover that? Didn't think so.

Occam's eraser: The philosophical principle that even the simplest solution is bound to have something wrong with it.