mathew stouffer Guest

Default Tankless water heaters

Condo built in 08. These tankless water heaters are located in the attic. Does the UPC or IRC require a drain pan?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Tankless water heaters

Yep!
    P2801.5 Required pan. Where water heaters or hot water storage tanks are installed in locations where leakage of the tanks or connections will cause damage, the tank or water heater shall be installed in a galvanized steel pan having a material thickness of not less than 0.0236 inch (0.6010 mm) (No. 24 gage), or other pans approved for such use. Listed pans shall comply with CSA LC3.

James Bohac

You did get all the other stuff to, right?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Not sure how much help it would be but if it was a drip it might be worth it. http://www.amazon.com/Camco-11470-Ta.../dp/B0060HOUJO

Nevada IOS#1730
    Nevada Energy Auditor #30
    775-342-4767 www.homecsi.com

mathew stouffer Guest

Jerr, such as

mathew stouffer Guest

Please feel free to add more. Missing straps on ex tank, missing straps on several radiant lines and supply lines to air handlers, missing drain pans, was not sure if seismic strapping is required,, kinked condensate lines and that about does it.

How does a drip pan fit under the unit given the gas line and water lines all come in from the bottom?

mathew stouffer Guest

Raymond these are questions I don't ask

Is there a difference between a "hot water heater" (typical tank with a heat source) and "something that heats water" (has coils but no tank by comparison)

If you have a summer winter hookup with the boiler. Then the boiler would be a heater of hot water and require a pan ?

mathew stouffer Guest

That is why I asked as well. These are being used as boilers and hot water heaters.

Mathew,
    Not really even a boiler in the conventional sense. Since there is not a holding tank per say.

And how do you obtain the radius of a pan beyond the heater? You would have to have it set 2" off of a wall so that the pan would extend to the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    Missing straps on ex tank,
    That's one - the expansion tank needs to be properly supported, not sure that a strap will suffice.

issing straps on several radiant lines and supply lines to air handlers,
    That's another one, and in addition to missing supports is the fact that they lines do not connect and go straight out from their connections (due to the missing supports).

missing drain pans,
    May not be required under each, or even below on the floor, based on that location, but I would think that a pan would be required under them, and I would go with one large pan on the floor because of the way the installation is done.

was not sure if seismic strapping is required,
    Same here, may depend on the wall bracket, additional seismic strapping may not be needed.

kinked condensate lines and that about does it.
    Yep, those too.

Then there is the improper and useless 'sediment trap' at the regulator to the left. Notice the vent limiter on that regulator? That is that brass device screwed into the vent opening.

Where is that unfinished room located? Is GFCI protection required for those receptacle outlets?

Is duct tape allowed around those vent outer 'tubes' (for lack of a proper term). The firestops at the ceiling do not look like listed ones, they look made-to-fit-in-the-shop.

I don't see many securing and supporting straps for that CPVC from the T&P relief valves or for the condensate lines.

Those recirculation pumps are likely installed incorrectly - as I recall, the motor shafts are supposed to be installed horizontally, not angled down like they are.

I see copper piping in close proximity as steel supports and MC cable from the pump motors - copper should be protected from any contact with steel.

Looks like some excessively sharp bends on those appliance connectors, and the left one looks to be pulled at an angle instead of being straight off the fitting.

It was that expansion tank which first caught my attention.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

mathew stouffer Guest

"Those recirculation pumps are likely installed incorrectly - as I recall, the motor shafts are supposed to be installed horizontally, not angled down like they are."

You sure about this one?

mathew stouffer Guest

This is in the attic.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    "Those recirculation pumps are likely installed incorrectly - as I recall, the motor shafts are supposed to be installed horizontally, not angled down like they are."

You sure about this one?
    See Figure 3B here: http://www.pexuniverse.com/docs/pdf/...ion-Manual.pdf

At least for that manufacturer, yes.

And here: Grundfos - Circulation Pumps and hot water recirculation energy efficient pumps scroll down to installation notes at bottom.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com