Eric Shuman Guest

Default Here we go again...

I'm sure you are all familiar with this statement:

"It passed the city inspection, no need for you to get a third party inspection..."

We all know this is a load of bull-poopy but I just had to laugh out loud yesterday when I was in the attic of a house where I was doing an inspection for a customer prior to the end of the builder's one year warranty. In addition to 60 other photos I took of issues on this one year old 4200 sqft house, this one took the cake.

I am inspecting the HVAC equipment (two furnaces, a/cs) and when I looked under the furnace that supplies the upstairs area I saw that the flexible gas connector for the furnace was lying on the floor. The gas supply for the gas fired unit had never been connected to the furnace and had been this way for a year (since the owners took possesion of the house).

Sure enough, when I got downstairs and asked the owner if the upstairs areas had been chilly last winter, she said it was downright cold up there all winter, even when the furnace was on constantly.

With our fairly mild winters here, I have to wonder how many more winters would have gone by before the owners called someone to take a look.

Hey, just one more selling point for these end of warranty inspections when the prospective customer repeats that builder mantra.

Eric

Inspection Referral

wade chapman Guest

Default Re: Here we go again...

[quote=Eric Shuman;16681]I'm sure you are all familiar with this statement:

"It passed the city inspection, no need for you to get a third party inspection..."

I just finished inspecting a house that was little over year old and there was no gfci peotection in the kitchen or both bathrooms, the garage or outside and both bathroom vent fans vented in the attic. ther were many more problems. I went to the city Hall and ask about there standers for for the city inspector and was told that they use IRC 2003 as a standered and the inspector has to be ICC certfied. Go Figure