Olivia Brown Guest

Angry Relocation inspection found mold

We bought our house 6 months ago and now we are being relocated for my husband's employer. We had the relocation inspection Tuesday and got the results today. The Relo inspector told me he could tell no one (including our inspector 6 months ago) had ever been in our attic. He said the bathroom vents were installed but not connected and told me most people would have mold like crazy, and we were lucky.

Then we got the report today saying there is a small section (5 sf.) of suspected fungal growth. I'm a little perturbed that he led me to believe that there was no mold when there was. But MOSTLY, I'm FURIOUS that our inspector didn't go into the attic. Before we bought this house it was in contract with another buyer who backed out over a sliding glass door issue that was found in ANOTHER INSPECTION. How did two inspectors neglect to even look in the attic and notice that the vents were not connected and there was mold growing. Do we have any recourse against our inspector for the cost of taking care of the mold? I'm sure there's some clause that says he's not liable for missing stuff, but the fact that he didn't even LOOK in the attic is ridiculous.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Relocation inspection found mold

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia Brown View Post
    We bought our house 6 months ago and now we are being relocated for my husband's employer. We had the relocation inspection Tuesday and got the results today. The Relo inspector told me he could tell no one (including our inspector 6 months ago) had ever been in our attic. He said the bathroom vents were installed but not connected and told me most people would have mold like crazy, and we were lucky.

Then we got the report today saying there is a small section (5 sf.) of suspected fungal growth. I'm a little perturbed that he led me to believe that there was no mold when there was. But MOSTLY, I'm FURIOUS that our inspector didn't go into the attic. Before we bought this house it was in contract with another buyer who backed out over a sliding glass door issue that was found in ANOTHER INSPECTION. How did two inspectors neglect to even look in the attic and notice that the vents were not connected and there was mold growing. Do we have any recourse against our inspector for the cost of taking care of the mold? I'm sure there's some clause that says he's not liable for missing stuff, but the fact that he didn't even LOOK in the attic is ridiculous.
    Olivia,

It's worthwhile contacting your inspector. One possibility is that the attic access may have been blocked.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Did you attend the initial inspection to know that the inspector did not go in the attic? Just because the second inspector says so does not make it so.

Olivia,
    In you inspection report from 6 months ago did you receive a report? In a report there should be a section on the attic. Observed, not observed, accessed, not accessed with a description. Or did you receive report that just has a series of boxes checked ? Have you gone back and looked at the report from 6 months ago ? In a side note, was the inspector referred by your agent?

5 sq ft is a stain one rafter bay wide and a couple of feet long. Or two spots half that big each. It is something we see quite often and it is not that hard to deal with. Once the connections are repaired, the stains dry out and the mold dies off in most cases.

If the fan connections are not visible from the attic hatch, then only an inspector that enters the attic and crawls around up there would see them. I'm not excusing the other inspectors, but there are simple reasons why some things like this are missed.

The fan connections might have fallen off when you started using the fans. Plastic duct tape gets soft and lets go. Or the connections were never completed. It is quite common, so an experienced inspector will search for that every time he sticks his head in the attic.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Olivia,
    Are you sure you even had an inspection. Many people get confused aboutdifferencee between an appraisal and inspection. If you did you would have hired the inspector and received a written report. The report should have stated if or how the attic was accessed.

Until you chat with your home inspector from 6 months ago I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. The Illinois Department of Financial & Professional Regulation (IDPFR) has specific requirements that inspectors are to follow and if your inspector failed on that accord the IDFPR is where you can file a complaint.

BTW - The inspector that just came through should not have been giving you any information about what he found unless he had permission from his client. That is in the IDFPR regulations.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL