Thread: Green Wiring

Ron Murphy Guest

Default Green Wiring

Hi Everyone:

I was looking through this house that had many things wrong with it and had trouble identifying the green wire going into the breaker panel. I origionally though it might be Aluminum but couldn't find any evidence of it. The connections to the breakers appear to be copper. Still fairly new to this and still learning lots. Electrical is my weakest point. Any help would be appreciated.

Ron

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Green Wiring

Is it just me, or is that panel really installed horizontally with the block mortar joints?

You didn't have to turn the camera to take that photo, did you?

Major problem there if it is like what I am seeing.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Is it just me, or is that panel really installed horizontally with the block mortar joints?
    Nope, not just you, it is horizontal.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

The OP is in Canada where that is an accepted way to mount the panel.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Ron Murphy Guest

Ya, i live in Whitby Ontario and mounting a panel that way is acceptable. And no i didn't have to turn the camera to take the picture. There are alot of issues with the panel and i did recommend that it should be further evaluated by a qualified electrician. So does anyone know what the green wire is about.

Robert Meier Guest

Do you have any closeup photo's? Can't see much from these small images.

Ron Murphy Guest

I tried to upload a higher resolution photo but the site won't accept them. Here is a closer look but i don't know if it will be of much use. Again, anyone know about the green wire.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Robert Meier Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Murphy View Post
    I tried to upload a higher resolution photo but the site won't accept them. Here is a closer look but i don't know if it will be of much use. Again, anyone know about the green wire.
    Sorry but my old eyes can't see any green wire in that photo either.

Ron Murphy Guest

The first two photos show green wire going into the top right side of the panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
    The OP is in Canada where that is an accepted way to mount the panel.
    Yep ... I forgot that mounting horizontal is allowed up there, me bad.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

The first two photos show green wire going into the top right side of the panel.
    Brightened the Photo.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

If I am seeing it correctly when it enters the panel it looks like a 240 volt cable with a red and black. not the black and white from a 120 circuit. I have heard Canada has this instead of re-identifying the white as a hot.

Can anyone confirm this is what I am seeing? On the top left cable it looks like the conductors go to a 2 pole breaker.

Why so much concern over the color of the cable?

Last edited by Jim Port; 02-13-2012 at 09:18 PM.
    All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Richard Johnson Guest

Ya, i live in Whitby Ontario and mounting a panel that way is acceptable. And no i didn't have to turn the camera to take the picture. There are alot of issues with the panel and i did recommend that it should be further evaluated by a qualified electrician. So does anyone know what the green wire is about.
    Mr. Murphy - Hamilton area here btw. The green wire looks to be an extension of a line. While not normally allowed, we see it often. When the panel was installed, the wiring was not long enough so they used whatever they had laying around. Looks for an ESA sticker on the panel to verify it was inspected. It would not have been approved if they used the green wire as an extension of a load side connection.

If you need electrical and/or HVAC help in the future, feel free to look us up. ECRA/ESA Lic 7008916

Ron Murphy Guest

Thanks everyone and especially you Richard. Thanks for the help in becoming a better home inspector.

Hello, Ron. I see green woven sheath cable entering the panel. Is that what you are asking about? It is common in older pre-70's houses and it is copper. The larger sizes may be orange or silver.
    Aluminum wiring will almost always be encased in white vinyl sheathing.

A new panel has been installed sideways in an older basement.

Someone mentioned the red wires alternating with the blacks. These appear to be multiwire circuits, where the red and the black share a common neutral. Strict adherence to the code would require those breakers to be tie together with a tie bar. Someone could get shocked working on a fixture if both breakers were not turned off.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca