Default Inspectvue does it again!!

It’s all about the money, the best way to describe Porter Valley Software and Inspectvue!! I have supported this company for years, weathered the debacle they called Version 5 and even bought multiple copies of their program and they now refuse to service it. After supporting them every year for many years I let my subscription expire 2 weeks ago because of the non responsiveness and horrible customer service. Before I let it expire they encouraged me to upgrade to their latest version (V4.2), which I did. Afterwards they admitted to me that there are numerous bugs in the new version. I asked to go back to the previous version, but they refused unless I gave them ANOTHER $500.00!!! I have already paid for this program and support many times over but they obviously don’t care about winning their loyal clients back or helping, it is all about what you can do for them and they still deliver Bank of America style customer service!!

My advice is to stay as far away from them as possible, because they obviously don’t care about winning their loyal clients back after they once again screwed us!

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Inspectvue does it again!!

I too, upgraded to version 4.2 and was not happy. However, I am working thru the little glitches that popped up. My experience has been a little different than yours. I have had excellent support in the past few months (didn't need it much before).

I'm curious why your yearly support is $500. Maybe you have multiple users? At any rate, I haven't found any software company that will continue to support their product if you are not current.

Tom and Dean have been excellent to work with and are very helpful (at least they are to me). I would talk to them and see if you can work out something (without an attitude).
    Hope it works out for you.

I am not asking them to continue to support, I am so done with them now after this latest incident. I just want them to put me back where I was before they encouraged me to upgrade which was a mistake I can see now. I already paid for that part long ago many times over, but they refuse. Yes, I have multiple users. It is a simple unlock code they refuse to provide, won't cost them a dime to help, and would have done a lot to get me back on board.

Peter,
    Got it. Yeah, they do kind of have you in a bad spot. I guess I would appeal to them to restore you where you were before you upgraded to the "new & improved, but flawed version".
    I'd call Tom and plead my case.
    Of course, for you to be "back on board" with them, would require you to continue to pay the annual support fee. So if you plan on continuing with IV if they restore your code, then why not pay the support fee anyway? If you are planning on moving on to something else, then why not just move on.

I might take the tack that there wasn't ANY support for a long time, yet you had paid the fee. Extending the support a few weeks is really the right thing to do on their part. They might be willing to help you with that logic.
    Good luck.

If you are looking for good service and no yearly fee then take a look at Home Inspector Pro (HIP).

Dominic and his staff (mostly Dom) offer help to anyone and everyone, even if you do not have their software. Dom understands that providing help and being nice to folks pays off in the long run!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    If you are looking for good service and no yearly fee then take a look at Home Inspector Pro (HIP).

Dominic and his staff (mostly Dom) offer help to anyone and everyone, even if you do not have their software. Dom understands that providing help and being nice to folks pays off in the long run!
    Totally Agree! I've look at and used trials of most of the major players and and used 3-D for 6 years. When it came time to purchase my own, I went with HIP based on the usability and the amazing support provided (which is FREE btw) as well as a reasonable price. I have no qualms about recommending this application.

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

I'm still using Inspectvue a bit.. I would recommend to anyone using it to keep their installation package stored along with their purchased serial number. I've had the program crash/lock up and had to restore everything late in day, and still needed to send out a home inspection report and get to an inspection the next day.

Sadly, there will never be another product like Inspectvue, and I know they are trying, but with every *advancement*, it's 2 steps back (remember IV5?).

So for me I decided to purchase other programs and give 'em a whirl. So far, I've been integrating Homegauge into a few of my stops a week. I think the report is as professional looking as IV and has some of the features (storing illustrations with comments, defaults/report fill etc) that I'm used to.

nick alati Guest

Thumbs up Re: Inspectvue does it again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Spargo View Post
    I'm still using Inspectvue a bit.. I would recommend to anyone using it to keep their installation package stored along with their purchased serial number. I've had the program crash/lock up and had to restore everything late in day, and still needed to send out a home inspection report and get to an inspection the next day.

Sadly, there will never be another product like Inspectvue, and I know they are trying, but with every *advancement*, it's 2 steps back (remember IV5?).

So for me I decided to purchase other programs and give 'em a whirl. So far, I've been integrating Homegauge into a few of my stops a week. I think the report is as professional looking as IV and has some of the features (storing illustrations with comments, defaults/report fill etc) that I'm used to.
    I'm also a R3, 5, 4 user since 2003, hard to make a switch to another software. I know what naivete's I have and where they are. Thanks for the Feed back - I have been looking for 3 years now for the replacement software, guess I need to stop looking and make the switch the end of this season and be done with it.

Been pushing HIP for years to the point people think I work for him.
    The guy never stops improving and I hope exhaustion never kicks in.

Quote Originally Posted by nick alati View Post
    I'm also a R3, 5, 4 user since 2003, hard to make a switch to another software. I know what naivete's I have and where they are. Thanks for the Feed back - I have been looking for 3 years now for the replacement software, guess I need to stop looking and make the switch the end of this season and be done with it.
    It's tough to find a replacement for InspectVue, because quite frankly, some of the newer programs are still catching up (IMO) to where the PV guys have left off. Almost makes you wonder where PV/IV would be with the proper resources. Some of the newer ones, lack use of default comments, illustrations, inserting .pdfs into reports, customizing forms to place in report (InspectVue does all that), the visual/native way to copy report sections on the fly etc..

I was really looking to have some options on formatting text, using list functions etc. that inspectvue doesn't have, and for this and the fact that feature for feature, HG has an answer to everything I was used to, that's what I'm transitioning to... so far so good!

Either way, PV made/makes a good product.. but if they are to remain viable, they've got a lil catching up to do, especially with the new gadgetry out there... if you choose to use mobile devices. One could probably use IV4 for another 10 years with some workarounds and be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Spargo View Post

Either way, PV made/makes a good product.. but if they are to remain viable, they've got a lil catching up to do, especially with the new gadgetry out there... if you choose to use mobile devices. One could probably use IV4 for another 10 years with some workarounds and be just fine.
    I always liked the final PV report format-overall look, seemed to be about the best at one time. Been using HomeGauge since 2003, I like it, clients like the format.

HomeGauge has come a long way, I still remember the first version and thought it was great, now it quite powerful if you like being creative.

I don't know about another 10 years of InspectVue- I've been using them since version 3, and 4 & 5 and then immediately back back to 4.0 - I don't even want to look at 4.2

Everything was fine until my library information started to slowly disappear bit by bit. I went out and bought a new, fully loaded machine thinking it was my old computer, but the same thing started to happen again. Tech support switched me to backed up libraries, it's fine for a little while and then the same story of disappearing text. I dont know anything about programming but it seems there is something really wrong with the software or how its configured.

I am tired of continually re writing language, and not have it there the next time I need it.
    I too will have to bite the bullet and find something else, which I hate to do after all these years. Thanks for the info guys, I will also take a hard look at Home Gauge since it seems closest to IV. I assume their tech support is reliable and there for you when needed?
    Happy Easter
    JP

JP,

I also ran into problems with disappearing text (narratives) in InspectVue. I finally found a way to work around it.

If I create a new report or copy an existing report, there is always a lot of missing narratives. I was at the point of buying a different software package.

I then discovered by accident, that if I created a new report, I needed to fill out the first page then go to the second page. Once I get to the second page I shut InspectVue down. When I reopen InspectVue on the second page, everything works correctly thereafter.

For the most part, I start my reports on the day before the inspection. Tonight, I did the first page of my report and started on the second page for tomorrow's inspection. I then shut down InspectVue. Tomorrow when I open up the report, everything will work correctly.

I do not know why it works. If I open InspectVue for the first time on page 1, I am missing text/narratives. If I open the report a second time where it starts on page 2, everything works correctly.

Once I get a new laptop computer, I will be switching to a different software.

Jeff Euriech
    Peoria Arizona

Hi Jeff,
    By page one, do you mean the page where you fill in all the client and house information? or the fist page of the actual inspection report (on mine its the default "Exterior"section).

Thanks
    JP

Yes, for me the first page would be where the buyer's name, address, telephone number goes. (General Information Section) After I hit continue at the bottom, it takes me to page 2 or the Exterior section.

Jeff

Jeff
    Great-I'll try it, but I still think I'm going to different software soon. They just keep going one step forward and two back, and downhill all the way.
    Thanks