Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100 page book

Default 100 page book

At my inspection yesterday the buyer was raving about an inspector he had at his last house in another state and how thorough he was because he got a 100 page informational manual along with his report.

I've heard of these things but have just always figured they're useless since any info in a book these days is outdated by the time you get your hands on it (darn internet). I personally get annoyed whenever I get handed a wad of paper that I know I'll NEVER read.

The pereption of this buyer just really surprised me. Basically, the inspector could do a crappy inspetion but since he got a hundred pages of generic information it was great.

Is anyone using these? Maybe I should reconsider my marketing strategy and start sacrificing some trees in the name of value perception.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: 100 page book

Carson Dunlop has been using the Home Inspection Reference Book/Report for years with great success.

The Home Reference Book | Carson Dunlop

Stephen G Guest

I talked with dozens of people who have had a home inspection and were given the check box report with boiler plate and big binder of info.
    I asked them if they ever opened it, not one person even flipped through it. Some still had the wrapper on. They gave me the binders.
    With the internet providing instant answers I dont push any binders on anyone. I will sell them the 'Home Reference' book from Carson Dunlop if they ask, no one has asked...My report has links to everything they need anyways. Small plug for Horizon...

I've seen these before. Also through a client who received one on a previous house. Looks great, makes people feel good but pretty useless. I think makes people think they are getting some great inspection. Of course the actual inspection report is checkbox garbage.
    You could put one of these together pretty easy. I thought about it since it does look great but couldn't stomach actually doing it. I'll just stick to the facts, Ma'am.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

If you think about it, the book is going to get buried in the mess of stuff during the move. Rarely once the inspection contingency gets satisfied does the inspection report get referred to. I agree that those with the 5 page inspection reports use the maintenance guide to bulk up their report binder. Since my report is typically 35-40 pages and has useful links in it, the binder is pretty worthless. However if your a newbie inspector go for it!

//Rick

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

I have Tom Feiza's "My Home" booklet that I sparingly give out. Client has to show genuine interest in learning about the home they're buying and how to maintain it. Tom has a larger book with more info but I doubt that'll make a bigger impression on the client nor make him more inclined to read it.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    At my inspection yesterday the buyer was raving about an inspector he had at his last house in another state and how thorough he was because he got a 100 page informational manual along with his report.

I've heard of these things but have just always figured they're useless since any info in a book these days is outdated by the time you get your hands on it (darn internet). I personally get annoyed whenever I get handed a wad of paper that I know I'll NEVER read.

The pereption of this buyer just really surprised me. Basically, the inspector could do a crappy inspetion but since he got a hundred pages of generic information it was great.

Is anyone using these? Maybe I should reconsider my marketing strategy and start sacrificing some trees in the name of value perception.
    Filler and B.S. IMO...

The bane of the home inspection industry..... a "check list" inspection report.
    Bah humbug !!

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

InterNACHI's Home Maintenance Book - InterNACHI $2.50 each. The book is written to help reduce inspector liability.

Lisa Endza
    Director of Communication
    InterNACHI

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Endza View Post
    InterNACHI's Home Maintenance Book - InterNACHI $2.50 each. The book is written to help reduce inspector liability.
    Wow..seriously, you said that?
    The only thing that will help reduce the liability of an inspector is him doing his job...well.

Wow..seriously, you said that?
    The only thing that will help reduce the liability of an inspector is him doing his job...well.
    Wow... seriously, you said that? You are so very wrong. It's not the "only thing" by a long shot.

11 more.

Last edited by Lisa Endza; 02-26-2012 at 11:15 PM.
    Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Wrong. It's not the "only thing."

11 more.
    Sorry...ultimately, yes it is. You should try doing one.

Wrong. Doing a good job isn't the only thing that reduces inspector liability.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Wrong. Doing a good job isn't the only thing that reduces inspector liability.
    Doing a good job isn't the only thing that reduces inspector liability Doing a good job isn't the only thing that reduces inspector liabilityDoing a good job isn't the only thing that reduces inspector liability Doing a good job isn't the only thing that reduces inspector liability
    You going to keep saying that? I think its funny that you, when given 1/2 a chance, come here to peddle your NACHI stuff. FYI, There isnt a single document in the world that can keep you from getting sued.

There isnt a single document in the world that can keep you from getting sued.
    Correct.

Incorrect.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

There are those that like to thumb through a booklet and I'm sure it might be advantages to offer these if you are giving them a hard copy of the report...But since 90% of my customers opt for a paperless report. I don't give very many out. With younger buyers, unless you are going to give them a book they can load onto their "i-Something", they will never crack it open.

I always price my report with a hard copy included but offer a $15-$25 "green" discount if no hard copy is needed or wanted. 90% of my customers demand paperless. I am working on putting together "direct Internet links" relevent to that section of the report (or defect) in my reports that would take the place of the reference books that are normally stuck in a hard copy binder.

I really feel hard copies of reports along with reference material in book form, are going the way of the phone book, the only time I use the phone book is to make sure my add is there....And since my research is showing no customers coming from Yellow page ads (we have 6 books here)...I am dropping most all of them this year and probably droping the last two yellow pages ads next year. (sorry if I went off topic)

It think Lisa (or whoever) implies that you can walk blindly through a house and still have your butt covered by some attached book on how to maintain your home.

The Spanish version is here as a free download.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

The Spanish version is here as a free download.
    So is IN now a place where people like Lisa scan the threads and solicit his products?

Again, you can download the Spanish version for free. You don't have to be a member of InterNACHI. You don't have to pay.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Really, Lisa? You're not trying to solicit in here...what is this?

That's for the printed book.

The free, downloadable Spanish version is also written specifically to reduce your liability by reminding your clients that a home inspection does not reveal every defect that exists, that certain issues are outside the scope of a home inspection, and that the homeowner is now responsible for maintaining their home.

Doing a good job isn't the only thing that reduces inspector liability.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

That's for the printed book.

The free, downloadable Spanish version is also written specifically to reduce your liability by reminding your clients that a home inspection does not reveal every defect that exists, that certain issues are outside the scope of a home inspection, and that the homeowner is now responsible for maintaining their home.

Doing a good job isn't the only thing that reduces inspector liability.
    No crap! So you are soliciting in here...

I didn't post the price of the printed version, you did, in big red font.

The Spanish download is free to all.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

HUH..?

Lisa your post are in conflict with each other.
    Post # 10
    "InterNACHI's Home Maintenance Book - InterNACHI $2.50 each. The book is written to help reduce inspector liability."
    Post# 25
    "I didn't post the price of the printed version, you did, in big red font."

Email fastreply@nachi.org , mention my name, and ask for a bunch of the printed copies for free. They'll send them right to you, no charge. The books will reduce your liability and your clients will love them.

The download of the Spanish version is also free.

Last edited by Lisa Endza; 02-27-2012 at 11:32 AM.
    Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Why is there not a FREE English .pdf version?
    I'd love to include this with my reports.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Morrison View Post
    Why is there not a FREE English .pdf version?
    I'd love to include this with my reports.
    LOL...good question Larry.
    She/he whoever this person is, is a total JA..

Matt,
    Consumers like to fell like they are getting extra value with their purchase. Passing out a book adds to their perception of value. Though they most likely will not look at it. Lisa speaks to the concept of piling on a lot of materials and puff to make the client feel like they are getting added value to their inspection purchase. Which is marketing. Weather or not there is any real value in those marketing materials.

Mat you may consider offering your business card as a magnet. Telling the client that, rather than pamphlets or books that they may loose or just not have time to read, they may contact you at anytime in the future regarding any aspect of the home.

One of the other purposes of the Spanish version being in pdf is so that you can put it on your inspection business website. We are of the belief that most inspectors with Spanish-speaking clients, don't themselves speak Spanish and don't have much Spanish content on their websites. The book helps explain much to a consumer who's primary language is Spanish, before they even hire you.

We also have a bunch of inspection-related articles translated into Spanish here. Enjoy!

Last edited by Lisa Endza; 02-27-2012 at 11:48 AM.
    Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

The purpose of the Spanish version being in pdf is so that you can put it on your inspection business website. We are of the belief that most inspectors with Spanish-speaking clients, don't themselves speak Spanish. The book helps explain much to a consumer who's primary language is Spanish, before they even hire you.

We also have a bunch of inspection-related articles translated into Spanish here. Enjoy!
    So if I (a member of InterNACHI) would like an English .pdf version for my English speaking clients, I would have to tell them they would have to learn Spanish in America to get this free bennefit?!
    Why not a FREE English version? Are we second hand citizens? I just find this odd. (I wonder if my deck has a race card)

I found answers to your questions. The Spanish version is available as a free download to encourage you to put it on your website which would help Spanish-speaking consumers learn more about the inspection process before the inspection and also to encourage them to hire you. The English version is sold at cost as a printed book to encourage you to hand out the physical, printed book at the inspection and not just attach a bunch of pre-written pdf links to the report which anyone can do. The printed book also works as a marketing tool as explained by Garry earlier in this thread. Americans are hesitant about throwing away good books and so the printed book, on their shelf with your inspection business card attached to the front, becomes a marketing piece that promotes you for years to come. The book also promotes annual inspections. And finally, there is additional legal protection in going through the extra effort of delivering the printed book to your client as opposed to just including readily-available digital content. The printed book particularly reduces your liability when used in conjunction with InterNACHI's Client Satisfaction Survey - InterNACHI

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Lisa your post are in conflict with each other.
    Post # 10
    "InterNACHI's Home Maintenance Book - InterNACHI $2.50 each. The book is written to help reduce inspector liability."
    Post# 25
    "I didn't post the price of the printed version, you did, in big red font."
    Answer this Lisa....

LOL. Newbie.

The English printed version is free if you ask for it. The Spanish version is free to download. If you want cases of books, they are sold at cost for $2.50 each or as you would say...

$2.50 each.

LOL!

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

LOL. Newbie.

The English printed version is free if you ask for it. The Spanish version is free to download. If you want cases of books, they are sold at cost for $2.50 each or as you would say...

$2.50 each.

LOL!
    So then you're a liar, trying to sell your crap here. Figures, considering where you work.

Hey Marc, I showed this thread to our Marketing Department. They love your big red price campaign and want to hire you full time to promote sales of the book. LOL

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

Marc
    Stop wasting your time with Lisa as her posts remind me of the old saying, "The Law of Logical Argument; anything is possible if you don't know what you're talking about."

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    Marc
    Stop wasting your time with Lisa as her posts remind me of the old saying, "The Law of Logical Argument; anything is possible if you don't know what you're talking about."
    Thanks Jerry...You're correct.
    I almost said something that probably would have gotten me kicked out of here..

Let's see, tihs ...
    - #4 If you are going to hire a helper, use a contract. I prefer to hire helpers as independent contractors rather than employees. A good independent contractor agreement makes it difficult for a helper to:
    - - bind you or your inspection company into a contract;
    - - incur any liability on your behalf;
    - - claim rights associated with your publications, trade secrets, copyrights or trademarks;
    - - reveal your confidential information, such as marketing ideas, business plans, pricing strategies, etc.;
    - - steal your real estate agent database or solicit your clients;
    - - compel you to pay his/her expenses, insurance premiums or taxes;
    - - demand severance pay; or
    - - later claim he/she was an employee or is owed money.
    ... sure sounds like it is trying to be a non-compete agreement, and non-compete agreements only work for EMPLOYEES because an "independent contractor" is just that: "independent" (YOU DO NOT control their time or what or where they go) "contractor" (THEY get to do what they want to when they want to do it).

Otherwise they are an EMPLOYEE and you had better be paying them and treating them as an employee, including take out FICA, Withholding, FUTA, etc., least you receive a visit from the tax man.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I may have been a little misunderstood.
    Let me qualify a little. Americans, do not know about Latino, like to get stuff but tend not to look at it nor use it and then toss it. I have to disagree Lisa when you say "...Americans are hesitant about throwing away good books and so the printed book....". I would have to say just the opposite is true.

Did a speed read through Spanglish download which I assume is just a direct translation. AND have to agree with the sentiment of Larry an " ... Are we second hand citizens? ...". In that there seems to be a dichotomy in America when it comes to Spanish. Lisa how about a free version in Ebonic.

The free add on to the service may have to be looked like the offers from Ronco on TV and the additional addons if you buy the Ginzue Knife, we all need a naval lint remover especially if it is presented as free. Once upon a time there was a saying that there is no free lunch, but now there is.... go figure. But wait, it is just paid for by someone else.else

Lisa how about a free version in Ebonic.
    That's not even funny.

The main purpose of the book isn't to pass valuable information on to your clients! It's to add value to your inspection service so that.... oh never mind. I'd have more success explaining Trigonometry to my pig than I would explaining marketing 101 to a non-InterNACHI member.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

That's not even funny.

The main purpose of the book isn't to pass valuable information on to your clients! It's to add value to your inspection service so that.... oh never mind. I'd have more success explaining Trigonometry to my pig than I would explaining marketing 101 to a non-InterNACHI member.
    First, Garry makes some good points. If you have your free crap to the hispanics, you should have it for the Americans as well.
    Second, I've seen some of your members. Trust me, they're no mathematicians..
    Third, what the hell do you have a pig for? Oh wait..I get it....nevermind.

Whatever. If you think that just doing a good job is the only thing that will reduce your liability then you don't need the book and I suppose you don't need a pre-inspection agreement either.

If you think the same about marketing, then you don't need the book, you don't need a logo, you don't need brochures, you don't need a website, you don't need business cards and you might as well hand the printed report to your client in a brown, paper grocery bag.

Bye. I'm off to try help my pig with Trigonometry.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

That's not even funny.

Lisa,
    By your own admission "...book isn't to pass valuable information..." its stuff to pass out to the client that ....is marketing... oh well, I'll stop and put some lipstick on my flying pig and take it out for a flight,,,, it already knows Trig.

Lisa you do not to be able to take a joke. A little myopic when frustrated I guess. Ebonics version would be considered showing lack of political correctness. Thoough would be interesting. Or is the use of Ebonics outdated as a learning tool?

Lisa, let me know when your pig is into Calculus so that your pig and I can have a meaningful exchange or better yet how about a Theory of Numbers discussion. The fun is in the quantitative application of trig.

He's just too stupid of an animal to understand. The pig isn't too smart either.

Lisa Endza
    InterNACHI

I used to hand out the Sunset line of home repair books. Home Improvement Books Recalled by Oxmoor House Due to Faulty Wiring Instructions; Shock or Fire Hazard to Consumers

I stopped since they were recalled. I've found that they aren't necessary to grow your business and are an unnecessary expense. In fact, I've performed about a thousand inspections since I stopped giving them out and nobody, including real estate agents, have even asked about them.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    I used to hand out the Sunset line of home repair books. Home Improvement Books Recalled by Oxmoor House Due to Faulty Wiring Instructions; Shock or Fire Hazard to Consumers

I stopped since they were recalled. I've found that they aren't necessary to grow your business and are an unnecessary expense. In fact, I've performed about a thousand inspections since I stopped giving them out and nobody, including real estate agents, have even asked about them.
    That's kinda how I feel. Back, when I first started I also used something similar but soon found it was a waste of money. Like said earlier, its just filler. If an inspector IMO has to use as opposed to likes to use those things to maintain, grow or keep business, perhaps they lack in another area of their business, knowledge, experience, marketing, etc... But the filler material is IMO, unnecessary nevertheless. Furthermore, you reduce liabilities by calling out the issues within the property. Not relying on some $2 paper to cover you ass when you miss or misdiagnose a component and get sued, which is what Nick wants you to believe. For those of use who have been doing this for a while we understand what is actually a gimmick and what marketing really works.
    As for my firm, we typically loose or turn away almost as many inspections as we perform in a week, without a binder, without coupons and without a how to book. So does this make me great at marketing or just a good inspector?
    I don't care how many pages of these books you include in your product (report), it still wont be a substitute for experience. And when experience fails because your new and have relayed on this book to cover you, it will be dispatched as quickly as your contract will.

Last edited by Marc M; 02-28-2012 at 05:06 PM.

Despite what you think about Lisa I hand out Now that you've had a home inspection book. It's cheap for a 90 page book. I have the 5th edition which is from 2011. The new one is 2012 and they changed the cover. So it's updated often. I hand them out to every client I can and to every agent I work with. I don't care if you buy them or not it's what I use and people seem to like them and think they are much more expensive than they are.

Nevada IOS#1730
    Nevada Energy Auditor #30
    775-342-4767 www.homecsi.com

Hey Marc, I showed this thread to our Marketing Department. They love your big red price campaign and want to hire you full time to promote sales of the book. LOL
    I love the book and give it to all my first time buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Elliott View Post
    I love the book and give it to all my first time buyers.
    So according to Nick; do you do it for marketing or referrals or CYA?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    So according to Nick; do you do it for marketing or referrals or CYA?
    No ,I just give it out as a gift.
    It is a nice way to show I am trying to help rookie buyers but I actually am sort of a specialist in that I take my time and give a tour to all clients on how to maintain things.
    They may open it up or leave it in the john but it certainly is good for them to have.

Some might say you have no need to market to those who have already hired you but I get referrals from past clients all the time.

By the way....duh..of course Liza is marketing (not against you Marc) and all of us should be so instead of bad rapping the pretty lady I say kudos.
    We are dumb if we are not constantly looking for business as this is still capitalism....sooo far.

No apologist here but she is not spamming and helps often so throw her a bone.
    Heck if we belong to a local chapter and have a guest speaker from Certainteed he certainly will push his brand as he teaches...eh ?

No ,I just give it out as a gift.
    "as this is still capitalism....sooo far."
    I can appreciate your perspective its great to give newbie home owners gifts and yes, we're still capitalists...and hopefully next Nov will help with that.

Not to get political but they all suck except Ron Paul and he stands no chance.

Not to get religiouse...But I'm A Mormon and a State Delegate... and I'm Voting for Ron Paul!

Not to get political but ... he is no different than the other suckers.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Morrison View Post
    Not to get religiouse...But I'm A Mormon and a State Delegate... and I'm Voting for Ron Paul!
    We need another 100 million like you.
    Time to stop Nanny Government from both sides .

Not to get political but I think maybe I'll just keep the fact that anyone, including Lisa's pig, is better than the current "situation" to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    Not to get political but I think maybe I'll just keep the fact that anyone, including Lisa's pig, is better than the current "situation" to myself.
    Not to get political but I think the pig which was in there for 8 years before helped lead us into this current pig pen, and the current 'head pig' has his hands full of pigs laying on their right sides and just lying there in the mud, not helping to get us out of this pig sty.

Some people think that one can undo 8 years of mud making within 4 years of hosing off, does not work that way, not when half the pig as lying there on their right sides.

Not wanting to blame all those pigs laying on their right sides doing nothing, there are plenty of other pig laying on their left sides doing nothing too.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I actually give out the book. Yes it is part marketing. It has some good general home information. Most will not read much, but some do.

Also makes my hundred page report, with links, diagrams and pictures look even bigger ; )

Had one Realtor say I like reports that have just one line remarks, hmm.

Maybe this should be the report,

house broke, fix it

Don Hester
    NCW Home Inspections, LLC
    Wa. St. Licensed H I #647, WSDA #80050, http://www.ncwhomeinspections.com

I think it's a great idea to hand out books, that advertizes nickies club.

Lets see, I work hard to earn and keep my customer base, the best way to keep that base is hand out a book that tells buyers to go to nickies site to find another HI.
    Thennn , When that new customer goes to nickies site he finds out, dang I may have just wasted my $s , all I had to do is take an on-line quiz, and he too could know enough, in as little as 60 min. be an instant certified inspector.

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Dan if you have a ASHI version then use it.
    Good logical discussion...yesh.

Are you this emotional about Ford and Chevy?

Dan, I know a lot of you have issues with "Nickies' club. I know why, but I know/met a lot of "Arrogant ASHI" guys also who in my opinion are not worth their weight in dog poo either. So it is about being a good, thorough, knowledgeable inspector not what society you belong to.

I am not out here to prove one society is better than the other, to me that all political debate. I am willing to get information from any source if it helps me.

I agree ASHI has higher entry standards which is great, but there is information to be gleaned from "Nickies" club also.

Its a tool in the tool belt for me along with ASHI conferences and workshops I attend.

I believe in the information gathering and sharing society, the "IGSS" ; )

By the way I am in a licensed state and that is the SOP's I use.

Last edited by Don Hester; 02-29-2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: typo
    Don Hester
    NCW Home Inspections, LLC
    Wa. St. Licensed H I #647, WSDA #80050, http://www.ncwhomeinspections.com

Dan if you have a ASHI version then use it.
    Good logical discussion...yesh.

Nope.. I have given out the books by Tom Frese ??
    Now I save my money and pass that additional cost onto the customer.

Are you this emotional about Ford and Chevy?
    Yep.. With the execption of 1 Mopar, Been a chevy guy all of my life, 4 new covettes, 2 monte carlos, 7 or 8 new pick ups, and an HHR..

Next work truck, one of those little Ford cube vans,
    Now that it's obammer motors no more chevies for me,

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast