Default range hood too high

Now home deficiency inspection, 9' ceiling high, would it cause your attention on the Sakura range hood?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: range hood too high

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Louis View Post
    Now home deficiency inspection, 9' ceiling high, would it cause your attention on the Sakura range hood?
    Check your Model's Installation Instructions appears 24 is min and 30 inches is max.
    OSHAWA International Enterprises Inc.| FAQ

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

I thought Sakura package is used to be 8' ceiling high installation. The builder did not order the customized duct & stainless cover for this 9' ceiling. This is why it looks weird.

I am just wondering if we need go further to this detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Check your Model's Installation Instructions appears 24 is min and 30 inches is max.
    OSHAWA International Enterprises Inc.| FAQ
    I thought Sakura package is used to be 8' ceiling high installation. The builder did not order the customized duct & stainless cover for this 9' ceiling. This is why it looks weird.

I am just wondering if we need go further to this detail.
    Peter,

If you have the Model Number check the Installation Instructions.

A quick search shows the bottom of the hood should be between 24 and 36 inches from the top of the cooking surface.

* taken from link above

Q6: How high should I mount my hood above my stove?
    A: Most common installations require a range of 18" - 24" between the bottom of the hood and the top of the cook top. This will provide the best capture area for cooking impurities. For high capacity ventilators, like Sakura kitchen range hoods, we recommend the distance from the cooking surface to the bottom of the hood should be 24" - 30".

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

mike huntzinger Guest

better to be high than too low, the only time ill mention it as to be too high , if the control knobs can't be reached by a short wife ie 5'

Quote Originally Posted by mike huntzinger View Post
    better to be high than too low, the only time ill mention it as to be too high , if the control knobs can't be reached by a short wife ie 5'
    Well then she can just stand on the oven door .

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

(underlining and bold are mine)
    Q7: Is a cabinet above the hood required to mount the product?
    A: Yes, all Sakura range hoods require cabinet for mounting.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    (underlining and bold are mine)

Can you explain this? Thx

I can't explain it, it was their choice of words.

They stated:

And there is no "cabinet" above that hood to mount that hood to.

I suspect that they could have chosen different wording which would have allowed that to be mounted to the "soffit" like it is, but they chose to state that a "cabinet" is required.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

No need to worry, Jerry P. is referring to outdated Q&A on their website, AND he's assuming this product is referred to as a "range hood" by the manufacturer - it is not! The Canadian Manufacturer's operations refer to this product as a "Wall Mount Chimney" and NOT a Sakura Turbo "Range Hood" product in their product literature, marketing, etc. Jerry P also is ignoring the disclaimers on that site he's selectively reviewed and quoted which repeatedly states: "Product specifications subject to change without notice". That Q & A question does not refer to their newer CSA approved "Chimney Style Wall-Mounted" or "European Style" wall mounted hoods.

I agree the Western CND site is poor. The Ontario site isn't that much better, but the english translation is a bit better, and more model links actually function, this link shows SEVERAL euro style WALL MOUNTED hoods in addiiton to the one you pictured.

Sakura Products

The Chimney style Wall Mounted "hood" your client has is WALL mounted, and requires NO cabinet above to mount or for that matter it is not designed to protect an overhead cabinet from otherwise too close combustibles clearance to a range top or cook top.

If you have any questions regarding the installation, suggest you refer to the users guide/installation instructions which should be in the home.

See: OSHAWA International Enterprises Inc.| R7730 - 30" Wall Mount Chimney refer to the manufacturer's instructions. The Chimney Style can be used up to 39" in total extension, no problem to 8' height under that soffit.

http://www.oshawa-bc.com/pdfs/R-7730.pdf

Lots of broken english on the Chinese based site. "Sakura reserve the right to make modification and/or improvement without prior notice."

For more detail please visit our dealers or contact (604)271-2288.

Oshawa International Ent Inc

Tel: 604-271-2288

Hours of operation:
    9am-5pm Monday-Friday (Western Time)

Internet: www.oshawa-bc.com
    Email: info@oshawa-bc.com

Since THIS EXACT product isn't DIRECTLY marketed in the US (bootleg web site for US here), obviously Jerry P. doesn't know. You can call the company or email them, since you're in their market area.

We have similar wall mounted and approved items here. Wall mount is not unusual or unheard of when it comes to such.

You'd have to check the clearance for the adjacent (to the right of the range hood between stove and refrigerator) overhead cabinet regarding ITS proximity to the range top footprint & its the grill height for the gas range, and the height above of the unprotected side exposed in conjunction with the range's listing requirements and your gas code but that isn't what you asked. Regarding the height above - there is no requirement minimum height as it is not functioning to protect overhead combustibles overhead within the clearance zone of concern above the stove. If the adjacent overhead cabinet is abutting - than THAT CABINET height (or rather how low it is) if within the combustible clearance zone MAY be of concern regarding proximity to the range top. The hood is of no concern as long as it isn't TOO CLOSE to the top of the grates above the burners or causing a draft problem for the proper operation of the gas range.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 02-25-2012 at 09:08 PM.

[quote=H.G. Watson, Sr.;190856]

No need to worry,
    Yep,

HG Sure Knows A Lot About Stuff That Sucks.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

It's strange that the 680 CFM rating hasn't caught anyone's attention. Kinda makes the height above the cooktop irrelevant to me.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barker View Post
    It's strange that the 680 CFM rating hasn't caught anyone's attention. Kinda makes the height above the cooktop irrelevant to me.
    Nothing Depressurizes a Dwelling Faster except a Big Roaring Fire in the Fire place.
    Ron White - Stupid is forever - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barker View Post

Some even higher like 800 CFM.

Lubert Willis Guest

Thanks all for this thread. This is what I was looking for.

Last edited by Lubert Willis; 04-22-2012 at 07:11 AM.