Eric Farjoo Guest

Default Damage to Asphalt shingles

Hi guys,

Please take a look at the pictures and tell me what do you think about the cause of damage to asphalt shingle? Dripping from dryer vent? Why?

Thanks,
    Eric
    Archway Home inspection

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Eric Farjoo; 02-26-2012 at 12:11 AM. Reason: add pictures
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Damage to Asphalt shingles

No rain gutter above that area could be part of the problem.

Stephen G Guest

Is it a dryer vent or a bathroom exhaust vent???

Like Ray said, not having a gutter on the above short eave allows all the water to pour on the same shingles, water erosion...I would suggest adding a gutter and downspout to move the water from one roof and then away from the lower roof.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Farjoo View Post
    Hi guys,

Please take a look at the pictures and tell me what do you think about the cause of damage to asphalt shingle? Dripping from dryer vent? Why?

Thanks,
    Eric
    Archway Home inspection

I can't tell from the pic but it looks like dirt or lint build-up rather than damage.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Damage from ice build up.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    Damage from ice build up.
    In Vancouver, Canada, it is water damage, (or can sometimes be foot traffic damage). In this case, Ray probably nailed it. Water is pouring off the upper roof at that spot. We expect to see gutters installed there.

Another one I see sometimes. The wet spot grows a slimy green algae. The house is going up for sale, so Mr. Handy gets up there with a pressure washer and washes the granules off the shingles along with the green slime.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Water should not be dripping from the Dryer Vent (under normal operating conditions)
    If that is your suspected cause, the Dryer Vent needs to be cleaned.

looks like a bay window roof dripping. if so, I won't worry.

Never charge an inspection under $200 unless free to friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Louis View Post
    Never charge an inspection under $200 unless free to friends.
    Did I miss something? Where did this come from?

I could more correctly say "Never charge less than $1,500 for an inspection."

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post

The poster has a website with his fees, starting at $180 for a condo and $300 for a house. I don't think you can buy a condo in Vancouver for less than $300 G.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    The poster has a website with his fees, starting at $180 for a condo and $300 for a house. I don't think you can buy a condo in Vancouver for less than $300 G.
    Okay ... minimum fee for a condo then is $1,800.00

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Hey Jerry, gotta ask buddy...
    How often do people gasp, choke or belt out an "are you serious" when you're running down the fee schedule?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    Hey Jerry, gotta ask buddy...
    How often do people gasp, choke or belt out an "are you serious" when you're running down the fee schedule?
    Most didn't even ask ... they knew from the referral source about what it would cost them ... and most never flinched at all, would even give me breakfast if I got there in time, and lunch, and a few offered up some dinner goodies when I didn't get done until after dark. Cool, huh?

Heck, I've even had seller call in at mid-day and have their housekeepers fix some vittles for me, and the client too if they were there. Now that is supper cool.

Some took me to the club house for lunch - they paid a minimum monthly fee for food at the club house, and many said that if they were paying the money for eating there even when they didn't, then might as well take me there because it costs them nothing additional for food (they seldom ate at the club house often enough to eat what their monthly fee covered). Of course we talked business about what I had found so far.

A few times we'd be sitting there eating and someone would walk in, my client would yell to them to come over, then introduce me and tell the other people they needed to call me to inspect their house.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Most didn't even ask ... they knew from the referral source about what it would cost them ... and most never flinched at all, would even give me breakfast if I got there in time, and lunch, and a few offered up some dinner goodies when I didn't get done until after dark. Cool, huh?

Heck, I've even had seller call in at mid-day and have their housekeepers fix some vittles for me, and the client too if they were there. Now that is supper cool.

Some took me to the club house for lunch - they paid a minimum monthly fee for food at the club house, and many said that if they were paying the money for eating there even when they didn't, then might as well take me there because it costs them nothing additional for food (they seldom ate at the club house often enough to eat what their monthly fee covered). Of course we talked business about what I had found so far.

A few times we'd be sitting there eating and someone would walk in, my client would yell to them to come over, then introduce me and tell the other people they needed to call me to inspect their house.
    I love it..most of the time all I get is the buyer or B-agent attempting to hammer my girl on the price, reluctantly booking, just to get to the property to have the seller, sellers agent, buyer and / or buyers agent glued to their watches while simultaneously kicking me out the door after 2 hours. Must be nice. So you must be doing a lot of cardio with all that eating...

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    I love it..most of the time all I get is the buyer or B-agent attempting to hammer my girl on the price, reluctantly booking, just to get to the property to have the seller, sellers agent, buyer and / or buyers agent glued to their watches while simultaneously kicking me out the door after 2 hours. Must be nice. So you must be doing a lot of cardio with all that eating...

Calf.agents on steroids? How do they get you out of the house? Drag you by the scruff of the neck? Call the police? Just curious.

Roofmaster 417 Guest

Is this residential ???,.Maybe this is the smoking area for the underage smoker in the family.hahahahaha

The damage leads to the window.

We need a closer look, note that the damage appears to be restricted to that one raised layer of the shingle, and is not apparent (in these pictures, anyway) on the material to either side.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com