Jerome W. Young Guest

Default Condensate line size and installation

I am not a physics major, but i think that water will drain uphill if its source is higher than the termination. Pleae coorect me on this if i am wrong i honestly do not know how this arrangement will work. Take a look at the photo of the drain line and tell me what you think. It is also a 3/4 cpvc pipe which inside diameter is smaller I believe than pvc.

Is 3/4 a minimum size for a condensate drain lines? I found another today that used 1/2 inch.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Michael Larson Guest

Default Re: Condensate line size and installation

Stupid installation.

The discharge point is lower that the condensate outlet but the entire run below the platform is a giant p-trap.
    It may work but will always be full of water.

Probably not the end of the world. At least it's trapped. Might need to be cleared more often due to blockage once in a while because of the long run, but I noticed a float switch to prevent damage.

3/4" PVC or 3/4" CPVC - same thing, it does not matter, it just cost them more. The only difference is in support spacing : PVC requires support every 4 feet, whereas CPVC requires support every 4 feet for sizes 1-1/4" and larger ... and every 3 feet for sizes 1" and smaller.

Like the others have said, it will work, but not as well and will need to be cleaned out more often.

Water seeks its own level, so that entire line will be full of water to the elbow at the top of the platform, adding any more water at the AHU end will cause that much water to drain out at the other end.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerome W. Young Guest

Is there a 3/4 minimum size requirement for condensate drain lines? I found 1/2 pvc on a 2003 unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome W. Young View Post
    Is there a 3/4 minimum size requirement for condensate drain lines?
    .Yes.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com