Thread: Heating

Wayne Adams Guest

Default Heating

Is it possible to heat apartments with just a hot water heater. I was in a six unit apartment building and when asked about heating I was shown a hot water tank and was told that each unit has its own tank and that is how the apartment is heated. There was hot water baseboard throughout the apartment. I did notice a expansion tank above the hot water heater. There was not actually boiler/furnace seen.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Terry Sandmeier Guest

Default Re: Heating

Wayne, This would be an rare system for heating apartments. Was there a separate water heater for domestic water in each apartment? (2 water heaters per apart). If not, the water heaters in each apartment is just for potable water heating and the tank is an expansion tank for potable water. The expansion tank will say on the tag potable water or non- potable water installation, this should give you a clue. Typically there will be a central boiler in a mechanical room that will distribute water to each apartment. This installation I will assume is what you are looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Adams View Post
    Is it possible to heat apartments with just a hot water heater. I was in a six unit apartment building and when asked about heating I was shown a hot water tank and was told that each unit has its own tank and that is how the apartment is heated. There was hot water baseboard throughout the apartment. I did notice a expansion tank above the hot water heater. There was not actually boiler/furnace seen.
    Hi Wayne

On one inspection, I saw a system similar to what you describe. The hot water was provided by a water heater with a high BTU input. Hot water was circulated through piping that went to recessed heat exchangers that used a fan to circulate air through the rooms. Seemed to work, but we are in a pretty mild climate.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

There is a whole condo complex that is here that is heater the way Gunnar stated. The WH was rated by the manufacture for heating. It had a circulation pump that came on when the hydronic furnace called for heat. If your concerned put it in the report that the baseboards are supplied by the domestic hot water heater and to check with the manufacture to confirm the unit is suitable for that use.

Nevada IOS#1730
    Nevada Energy Auditor #30
    775-342-4767 www.homecsi.com