Default Gas Pipeline under the home

I am about to do an inspection on a home that has an abandoned natural gas pipeline running under one corner of the home. I do not know much about how deep it would be or the size of it etc. I was just wondering if there would be much to be concerned with. There is documentation from the company that had the gas line sayng it was cut off at both ends 15 years ago. I cant think of much other than if you wanted to dig a pool or if the pipe could collapse and cause the foundation to sink there. Any thoughts or experience with such matters?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral
    If it weren't for lawyers, we would never need them.

Default Re: Gas Pipeline under the home

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Bombardiere View Post
    I am about to do an inspection on a home that has an abandoned natural gas pipeline running under one corner of the home. I do not know much about how deep it would be or the size of it etc. I was just wondering if there would be much to be concerned with. There is documentation from the company that had the gas line sayng it was cut off at both ends 15 years ago. I cant think of much other than if you wanted to dig a pool or if the pipe could collapse and cause the foundation to sink there. Any thoughts or experience with such matters?
    As long as the Client has the documentation of a prior easement (and you note within the report) there are no worries.

A Home Inspection does not supersede nor relieve the Client's need to properly investigate all areas of disclosure within the due diligence period of the AOS contract.

As a quick check, the client can always dial 811 at no charge.....

Call 811 - Know what's below

Darrel Hood Guest

It might be worthwhile for the home owner to contact the owner of the pipe line to determine age, depth and diameter. It may, or may not be practical to cut the line and fill the portion under the home with packed select fill, stabilized sand or concrete. At least with the information one phone call could provide, informed decisions are possible.

I wouldn't be concerned about it. The gas utility often abandons the old steel lines when replacing old low pressure mains with high pressure service using plastic piping. The old steel 1" or 1-1/4" service lines are left abandoned in place and should be of no concern, especially concerning any foundation issues.

This was a major pipeline the way it sounds. Some of these pipes can be 48inches in diameter. I do not know what the diameter of this one is.

If it weren't for lawyers, we would never need them.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Bombardiere View Post
    This was a major pipeline the way it sounds. Some of these pipes can be 48inches in diameter. I do not know what the diameter of this one is.
    That would be the critical piece of information needed to help decide if that abandoned pipe might be a problem.

1" gas line? No problem.

48" gas line? BIG problem.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com