Hank Williams Guest

Question Questionable New Roof

New roof installed on 10 year old home. Old shingles removed so this is the only layer. Installed in Jan/Feb in cold temps (30's to 40s'). Installer says the "waves" will lay down when temps get warm for several days. I'm more concerned with the creases and curled edges too.

I just wanted a 2nd opinion before I gave them the 2nd half of payment. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Hank
    Nashville, TN

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Questionable New Roof

I would agree that it will take some hot sunny days for the shingles to lay down and to seal. I would be concerned with the shed roof rake board intersection, with the main roof though. Does not look to be flashed and is in direct contact with the shingles.

I take that back. After second look at the pic it does look like there is flashing, but it is not right!

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Williams View Post
    New roof installed on 10 year old home. Old shingles removed so this is the only layer. Installed in Jan/Feb in cold temps (30's to 40s'). Installer says the "waves" will lay down when temps get warm for several days. I'm more concerned with the creases and curled edges too.

I just wanted a 2nd opinion before I gave them the 2nd half of payment. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Hank
    Nashville, TN
    Hank ,

How many layers of Roofing do you have ?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Billy Stephens; 02-28-2012 at 07:48 PM. Reason: added op pictures
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Look closer Billy, there is bent flashing under the shingle but I don't think it goes under the rake board.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Williams View Post

-Hank
    Nashville, TN
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    Look closer Billy, there is bent flashing under the shingle but I don't think it goes under the rake board.
    I think there are several layers of Shingles .

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

I suspect the underlayment was installed wrinkled or got soaked and was shingled over before it dried out (they are not allowed to do that), or dried out and was still excessively wrinkled but they shingled over it anyway.

I'd say that half-workmanship was worth about half-payment.

Tell them they will get the balance when the balance of the shingles lay flat.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Hank, while you are having the roofer fix things, have him put another ridge cap shingle at each gable end. The entire roof has two layers of shingle except for the ends of the ridge cap. I see them split there all the time!

Hank Williams Guest

So, I think I will ask them to re-do the area by the dormers since it just doesn't look right. Either way, if it isn't stated in the contract, I'm gonna write up a little letter for them to sign that gives them 90 days for the shingles to "lay flat" before I get the whole thing re-done. Insurance Co is partly involved so I can have them force the issue too.

Thanks for everyone's input.

-Hank

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    How many layers of Roofing do you have ?
    They removed 100% of the old shingles and fabric. They laid all new fabric and about 1/2 the shingles on the front. That night there was a slight frost and they resumed the next day. Doubt they let it defrost and dry out before they resumed.... probably the culprit to the wrinkles / waves.

Hank Williams Guest

Exclamation Re: Questionable New Roof

Update: Over the weekend we got our first good rain since the new roof was installed. I could hear quite a few leaks! No water spots in my living room ceiling but I could definately hear them. Called roofing co and they said they would "send someone out". That's been a week now. BBB A+ rating doesn't seem to fit this company.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Did you check in your attic for evidence of leaks?

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Had to let these pict sink in for a few days.

Hank,
    When the shingles were delivered was it a roof top delivery?
    Were the shingles stacked on the ridge of the roof?
    Were the shingles draped lengthwise over the roof ridge?

The waves would be consistent with a shingles that were stored on the ridge causing a hump in the shingles. This wave may or may not settle down over time. The issue is that the nailing may restrict the movement of the shingle thus not allowing the shingle to lay flat.

With all of the storms that we have had in the middle TN area you would be shocked at all of bad roofs that are being installed. Just last week I looked at 4 roofs for folks who had problems and they could not get the original contractor to take care of anything.

Many of the roofs have been put on by out of state storm chasers who make their living by following the storms across the country. Even the local roofing contractors are hiring crews from out of state just to keep up with the demand. I heard that in the storm from two weeks ago, over 4,700 homes were damaged in Mid TN alone.

A BBB rating does not mean anything! I have heard that the more you pay the BBB the better the rating you can get!

I agree with what Garry has posted. The waves or wrinkles are in the shingles for good, I have seen it before.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com