Thread: old fuse panel

Default old fuse panel

I am looking for a link to show me more info on fuse panels. My experience is limited and rules and determining amperage on the old panels with fuses and pull out mains. Thanks

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    E.D.S
    Home Inspections
    Lic.#450.010534

Default Re: old fuse panel

I would suggest you recommend all fuses be evaluated by an electrician. Lots of old knob and tube wiring was 14 gauge so you should only see 15 amp fuses but there are exceptions. I'm sure of you search the web you will find some info. Some sites like ismypanelsafe.com or 3724 Ways to Diagnose & Fix House Problems - free at InspectApedia will give you some stuff to read.

Nevada IOS#1730
    Nevada Energy Auditor #30
    775-342-4767 www.homecsi.com

You don't need more info on fuse panels. Write'em up as having reached the end of their useful life cycle, rusted, having holes, old wires, double, triple tapped, undersized, etc.
    More importantly for your client is that a lot of home owners insurance providers (especially the big ones) won't insure if there is a fuse panel. They'll want the fuse panel switched out before providing a full policy.
    Anytime I see a fuse panel I tell clients to call their insurance provider immediately and check. So far its been a slam dunk every time. Letting the client know they'll most likely have to switch out the panel is not something you want to miss.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

No need to call in an electrician - waste of time and money.

If you are in doubt, do as Markus recommended - have your client call their insurance company to see if the insurance company will write a policy on the house ... probably not.

I first ran into insurance companies not wanting to write insurance policies on houses back in the mid-1990. I guess that along with all the things they had to insurance after Hurricane Andrew they did not want to insure old fuse panels as that was just one more liability they had to cover.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Perfect thanks Markus.

E.D.S
    Home Inspections
    Lic.#450.010534