Question Fluepipe routed through ductwork

Hello all,

This is the issue. Here is a high efficiency forced air furnace and the exhaust fluepipe has been routed through the return duct above the furnace on its way to the outside. The fluepipe is a PVC plastic pipe.

I had experience before with a draft induced furnace fluepipe routed through ductwork and I called it out as a problem and it was. The fluepipe in that instance was a metal pipe.

I contacted the local building inspection department to get some clarification on this issue but haven’t gotten a response yet. The home is approximately 15 years old.

My question is that I want to confirm that this is an issue and wanted to know if it is written somewhere in the code and what the code says.

I have included a couple of pictures.

Thanks,

Scott

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Fluepipe routed through ductwork

IRC M1801.8 Duct penetrations: Chimneys, vents and vent connectors shall not extend into or through supply or return air ducts or plenums.
    Stick it to that idiot contractor.
    Beyond the obvious, you should also explain to your client, based on the pic, that there is a coupling joint located with that return cavity. Do you know that the glue joint is properly done and fully sealed? No, don't have x-ray vision? Then out it must come to avoid contaminating the system.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Thanks Markus. I did get a call back from the local building inspector and he confirmed the issue and the same reference you did. Ive always been able to get a faster response on Inspection News than ever with a direct phone call.

Are you sure that is not a sleeve thru the duct and that the vent pipe is not completely isolated from the air stream?