Thread: Brick problem ?

Christian Tag Guest

Default Brick problem ?

Hi guys,
    I'm new in the inspection business and I could use some help here !
    This is a 1972 bungalow and the exterior walls (brick) were changed recently but the owner doesn't know when exactly because he bought the house 6 months ago. I've never seen such an overlap and the lintel doesn't look supported by the foundation... the walls are perfectly square and plumb but theres a crack at one corner (first picture).
    Im wondering if its normal or its a bad workmanship job of masonry,
    Should I recommand an expert to verify this installation ?

thanks for your help

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Brick problem ?

Was cladding the home with brick veneer an afterthought that they had to add steel angle to provide a brick ledge? Or, did they fail to lay out the foundation correctly? Man, if that angle ever shifted and ruptured that gas line, that would stink. Based on the cracks, they should be repaired. Could indicate a number of installation issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Spinnler View Post
    Was cladding the home with brick veneer an afterthought that they had to add steel angle to provide a brick ledge? Or, did they fail to lay out the foundation correctly? Man, if that angle ever shifted and ruptured that gas line, that would stink. Based on the cracks, they should be repaired. Could indicate a number of installation issues.
    Looks like brick veneer was ( badly ) added over the original cladding.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

It may be possible that the contractor installed that steel angle for the brick ledge and used steel angle based on the width of the brick, then the mason told the contractor that he needed a minimum 1" air gap ... the contractor may have responded that he is not going to replace all that steel angle he already paid for and put up, and told the mason to do what he had to do to make it work.

However, the above would not account for the brick veneer being at an angle along the steel angle, one would think that the brick veneer would all hang over the same amount ... unless maybe the wall behind the brick veneer is not parallel with the veneer and the veneer is being used to straighten out a crooked wall.

Just some thoughts.

Regardless, it was done wrong.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

The whole thing reminds me of a bandaid that looks good from a block away.

It looks like there are (were) some squaring issues. The overlap goes from zero to more than a brick.

I wonder why the chipped out bricks, what did they have to pass? What is under there?

I would prefer to have poured a footing, and started from there.

If the mason was so thoughtful as to insist upon a drainage plane, you would think there would be flashing and weep holes showing.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

let's try this

Attached Files Attached Files
    badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Stephen G Guest

Thanx Barry, great link for my files...

Christian Tag Guest

Thanks Barry for this link,

Thank you everyone for your help !

Christian Tag Guest

You guys are much more experienced, do you think I should mention any warning in my report or refer to an expert to have it checked ?? Or simply mention the fact it was installed over an existing siding.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Tag View Post
    You guys are much more experienced, do you think I should mention any warning in my report or refer to an expert to have it checked ?? Or simply mention the fact it was installed over an existing siding.
    Since you don't know what's behind the brick, you don't report what you can't see.
    The brick veneer was not installed professionally, and there is a failure at the corner that could become serious. I would recommend having a qualified bricky look at it and give a professional opinion on it.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Christian,
    Be careful what you say and how you say it.
    Purchased 6 months ago, did the owner have the property inspected ?
    If he did then assume the owner may be using you to go after the HI.
    Make sure that you want to be in the middle of the dog fight.
    This may be future a Homes show episode.

There is enough there in your pictures that suggests quite a few problems in the brick installation. Recommend that the owner bring in a Structural Eng., Brick Professional and a Lawyer to sort it out.

Ted Menelly Guest

Did I miss it or was there something said about the gas flex line going through the foundation.

That fourth photo is the most curious to me. Generally, when I see the brick veneer flush with the foundation wall at the corners and overhanging in the middle of the wall, I inspect the foundation wall for deflection toward the inside. In this case it is hard to determine what is going on from the photos. That appears to be some kind of parging on the walls. If it is, then the "parging" may have been applied recently and hiding some cracks in the foundation wall that could offer clues to what is going on.

I would recommend "further evaluation by a structural engineer" as good advice for your client and relief from liability. If you take that suggestion, follow up and find out what the engineer said. It can be a great learning opportunity and clients and real estate agents like the follow up.

Christian Tag Guest

Wow this forum is awesome, not a lot of people in this business that are ready to help you succeed and become a competitor.

Thank you for taking the time to help me out !

Dont wanna be on the next Holmes on Homes !

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Did I miss it or was there something said about the gas flex line going through the foundation.
    It's Canada .

Let's see if they respond.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

Disclaim and defer that entire mess.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Yep, you missed it, sort of...

Hank was the first to reply/respond, he mentioned it (post 2, first reply).

"Man, if that angle ever shifted and ruptured that gas line, that would stink."

PE for Propane or Nat. Gas isn't allowed here (US) except underground burial service outside the home, not entrance or connector sleeved or unsleeved into building; can't say that holds true in Quebec, Canada, one way or the other. Some color coding different & don't recall if there's differences for gas color codes in Que. at the moment. Green tank (02?)interesting, yellow unprotected connector....Hmmm.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 03-09-2012 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    It's Canada .

I don't assume everybody in Memphis Tenn. is an Elvis impersonator. But I know y'all like water in your beer.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Stephen G Guest

It is Quebec, most of them are farmers and they are all armed.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    It's Canada .

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post

I don't assume everybody in Memphis Tenn. is an Elvis impersonator.

But I know y'all like water in your beer.
    Not True ,

* we only Sale The Water Downed Stuff to tourists.