Default Shower light fixture

Attached are two light fixtures which were installed in a shower/tub area of a three year old home. I thought a cover is required and not an exposed bulb.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Robert Meier Guest

Default Re: Shower light fixture

A few things, for one is the fixture subject to shower spray? If not, then a damp rated fixture is all that's required. They do make wet location rated fixtures that utilize an open PAR type lamp.

As RM said, not all shower trims are closed style.

All answers based on unamended National Electrical codes.

Zane Remenda Guest

Hi,

It is also important that lights above a shower or bath have a GFCI circuit.

Sometimes, the whole bathroom can be on a GFCI circuit in the main panel.

Either way, I always recommend to have it verified by a master electrician.

Hope this helps.
    Zane

Robert Meier Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zane Remenda View Post
    Hi,

It is also important that lights above a shower or bath have a GFCI circuit.

Sometimes, the whole bathroom can be on a GFCI circuit in the main panel.

Either way, I always recommend to have it verified by a master electrician.

Hope this helps.
    Zane

Not sure about Canada but a light fixture over a shower does not require GFCI protection in the US. Might not be a bad idea but not required.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Meier View Post
    Not sure about Canada but a light fixture over a shower does not require GFCI protection in the US. Might not be a bad idea but not required.

If manufacturers instructions stated that GFCI protection was required if used in a shower area, then it would be required. Otherwise I agree.

In BC, the western and superior part of Canada , the switch needs to be 1 meter (39 ") away from the shower or tub. Only the wall receptacle is required to be on a GFCI.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Robert Meier Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    If manufacturers instructions stated that GFCI protection was required if used in a shower area, then it would be required. Otherwise I agree.

Yes that's true of any piece of equipment not only for things over a shower. Usually bathroom exhaust fans do require protection according to the manufacturers instructions when installed over a tub or shower. I have yet to see a shower fixture that the manufacturer required GFCI protection.

Zane Remenda Guest

Here is a quote from the Panasonic web site:

CAN A PANASONIC FAN BE USED OVER A BATHTUB OR SHOWER? Yes, provided it is protected by a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI). Keep in mind, however, that any ventilation device located in a damp environment may have a reduced life due to high humidity and a potential for corrosion. Fans used in high-humidity areas should be operated for longer periods of time, to ensure the removal of moisture and to reduce the potential for condensation in the fan body or ducting.

I have a panasonic fan myself and it is quiet! Although it is a safe distance from the tub.
    Cheers
    Zane

Yes that's true of any piece of equipment not only for things over a shower. Usually bathroom exhaust fans do require protection according to the manufacturers instructions when installed over a tub or shower. I have yet to see a shower fixture that the manufacturer required GFCI protection.
    Here ya go. I have had to install these in public handicap shower enclosures.

http://www.faucetdirect.com/mediabas...ons/k-1665.pdf

Robert Meier Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Guridi View Post
    Here ya go. I have had to install these in public handicap shower enclosures.

http://www.faucetdirect.com/mediabas...ons/k-1665.pdf
    Thanks for the link. I figured that someone made a light with a GFCI requirement.

Looks like a sample from my "Darwin Shower Light Fixture" collection.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant